Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a new machine. Recommendations please.

Man, I'm looking at both chemical and electro etching, and first glaring thing, I don't see anyone using it to fully cut sheet metal. Maybe it's just not heavily discussed. Second, there aren't any machines out there to purchase. I don't want to even consider this type of application without heavy safety features that usually come with something built by a company that is a subject matter expert. I see people using car batteries, phone chargers, etc. It's downright scary.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

2. [QUOTE=Kev Williams;2852666]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan Sheremeto View Post
    It's 1-1/4" diameter 304 SS tube-- He's tried making them from flat, doesn't work well enough to suit him...
    ohh, yea I can see why something that small doesn't work well from flat. Tough part to make for sure.

Ok I need some help understanding photo-chemical etching. If I'm wanting to cut straight through a piece of sheet metal, I use resist on one side, remove the resist are needing to be cut, then spray from the top the area being removed? I see some machines where they are using both sides with identical resist (dual sided) but why is that necessary with thin sheet metal?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7