Thread: Ford cargo van

Ford cargo van

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a used cargo van. New is very expensive to me, so I'm looking at used.

There are two Ford T-150s with the 148" base and medium roof I'm looking at, both mid to high 30K miles, both about $27K. One is a 2017 model, one is a 2018.

Are there practical differences in the models from these years? - can't find a definite answer online, but I'm not a car person so it's all a new language to me.

The 2017 is local to me in SoCal, so I can kick the tires.
    The 2018 is across the country, so I can't. The transfer fee is included in the prices.

There are plenty of low roofed cargo vans out there, but when I think about lifting a table into a van I think the medium roof will make it easier on my back. If you agree or disagree I'd love to hear why.

Thanks everyone! Mark

My electrician is a Ford guy. He usually buys them, and I know he has had trouble with transmissions recently.
    Whichever van you choose, and I have no biases either way, nor do I know how you will load/ use them, I suggest you check out service bulletins and transmission shop for what's best to buy.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

From reading online Ford seems to be more reliable than most other brands, but I'll ask some around. My electrician buddy has had one for the past 25 years. Same one, has probably had the engine rebuilt.

I'm not a Ford fan, BUT...

I came across a cheap 2015 F250 Transit van, and needed a crew vehicle, so now I have a Ford. I actually really like it, even though it's got some typical Ford wackiness. I think it's the same driveline as the newer models you looked at. Amazing amount of power out of that little ecoboost engine. Was cheap because of miles, no drivetrain problems to report here.

Thanks Steve, that's reassuring.

Blog Entries
    We have a fleet of them and they have been reliable. No issues and they get abused. The higher roof option is a plus. If you can afford that, get it. The only issue is low clearance trees, garages, etc.

Check the Workshops and Mobile Vehicle-Based Shops sub-forum at FOG. Lots of useful info there regarding these types of vehicles.