Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experiences,Recomendations investing in CD,s Online

I'll be careful Jim. If our local credit union ups their rates my wife will probably go that route. I am going to still talk to a financial advisor about my savings though.

Diversify, diversify, diversify.

I have a money market account with Vanguard, you might check that out. I am reluctant to tie any money up at the moment, because the fed plans to raise rates again this year.

I learned about diversifying the hard way Ron. I lost a lot of my money in the tech stock crash quite awhile back.
    Thanks for the tip Jim. With the inflation we are having, the rates should be going up, you would think.

I'm a Canuck, so a lot of the information you have gotten is not something I can comment upon.
    I'm also 73, run my own stock portfolio and spend a lot (too much) time doing research.
    The one thing I would advise you to do - find a good, fee based financial advisor. He/ she will look at everything and give you proper, independent financial advice. You'll pay for it, but at least you and your wife will have an independent specific plan.
    Your life, your money.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Financial advisers are like anything else. Some are worth paying a premium for. Others aren't worth listening to for free. The problem is there is no independent rating system to tell you which one you are dealing with. I have been an individual investor making my own decisions for over 30 years but about 5 years ago, I decided to hire a professional. He was part of a Nationally known brokerage firm and he came highly recommended from several friends. I gave him about half my portfolio to manage and I managed the other half myself. I was with him for less than three years. Suffice it to say that I am a much more savvy investor than he was.

Blog Entries
    I have a single CD with a local bank as an emergency fund. I've always felt that accessing it in an emergency would be a lot faster than going online and requesting it. The downside of course is taking a hit on the interest rate but I don't have it for making big bucks. Most of my retirement is with Fidelity and Vanguard and i wouldn't (don't) hesitate to handle finances online. I'm also 73.