Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinity wooden hand planes.

Infinity wooden hand planes.

Just ran across a line of hand planes sold by Infinity tools.
    Not in the market as wooden planes are easy to come by here in Ohio.
    Wondering if anyone has used one and your opinion?
    Would they be a good option for someone without a good outlet local for vintage planes?

https://www.infinitytools.com/hand-tools/hand-planes
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Hmmm. At that price, I might buy one just to try it out. I did notice it said "The blades are made of steel alloy CrV hardened and tempered to 58HRC." (Where's Patrick Chase when we need him. )

Thanks for the tip Dave.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hmmm. At that price, I might buy one just to try it out. I did notice it said "The blades are made of steel alloy CrV hardened and tempered to 58HRC." (Where's Patrick Chase when we need him. )

Thanks for the tip Dave.
    That seems a bit on the soft side. Someone once said CrV steel isn't great steel. It can be made to really shine.

Looking at the "set" of a jointer, scrub, jack and smoother for $299 was interesting. Especially since on the same page the jointer is listed as starting at $34.90 and the jack and smoother are listed at $24.90 apiece one must be getting one heck of a little mallet and scrub plane for the remaining $214.30.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That seems a bit on the soft side. Someone once said CrV steel isn't great steel. It can be made to really shine.

Looking at the "set" of a jointer, scrub, jack and smoother for $299 was interesting. Especially since on the same page the jointer is listed as starting at $34.90 and the jack and smoother are listed at $24.90 apiece one must be getting one heck of a little mallet and scrub plane for the remaining $214.30.

jtk

That $34.90 is for a replacement Replacement Blade & Chipbreaker
    The plane is $129.90
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

They look like Pinie planes made in Czech Republic.

I picked up a couple of the rabbet planes awhile ago. They're decent enough but nothing amazing. I had to work on both to securely seat the blade but I was able to make it work. I happened to have some planemaker floats, to be fair. I probably wouldn't get one to rely on but I'm happy to have a couple of rarely used sizes around as options. I have ECE planes and they are similar in a lot of ways but they're ahead on fit and finish for sure.

I have their 30mm double rabbet plane; I got it for Xmas last year. The wood was fine, although not elegant in the slightest and had a pretty rough varnish that could use some sanding. I maybe took one shaving off the sole. The iron was crudely cut; I had to soften the edges of the stem or whatever the skinny part is called. It required a LOT of flattening, but ultimately it sharpens up great and cuts fine. It's a perfectly usable plane and it's gotten plenty of use, but it did require more than an average amount of work work to be put into it.

Is it a good option for someone without access to vintage woodies? Only if they are comfortable with the amount of fettling they will require.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    That $34.90 is for a replacement Replacement Blade & Chipbreaker
    The plane is $129.90
    Mea culpa, my only defense is their page misled me:

From Infinity Page.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, noticed that too. Gives me a hinky feeling that leads me away from trying any of them.

Blog Entries
    Hi Guys, when it comes to the Infinity Website you will need to follow through from the search page to the product page. Because the planes and the replacement irons are sold on the same page, the website defaults and shows the lowest priced item sold on the page. In this specific case the "Starting At" price is for the replacement Irons.

Edit, I never thought I would be talking about a website in the Neanderthal Haven
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    ...Edit, I never thought I would be talking about a website in the Neanderthal Haven
    Hate to break it to you, but Neanderthal Haven is also a website.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but Neanderthal Haven is also a website.
    The Irony...
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    So an Infinity smoother for $80 or a little smaller E.C. Emmerich for $67 . . . . hmmmm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So an Infinity smoother for $80 or a little smaller E.C. Emmerich for $67 . . . . hmmmm.
    You are comparing a little single iron plane (some vendors call it a boy's plane ) with a full size double iron plane. The Emmerich plane that is equivalent to the Infinity smoother would be in the $110 price range.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    They look like Pinie planes made in Czech Republic.
    Yup, they do look very similar. I have a Pinie scrub plane (it works fine), but haven't tried any of their other stuff.