Thread: Can't Decide; urethane, alkyd, acrylic, for interior dog kennel/crate.

Can't Decide; urethane, alkyd, acrylic, for interior dog kennel/crate.

New here and sifting through lots of info so far.

I'm a hobbyist and building a large 70x30x36 dog kennel for a pair of dogs for client. They want it satin white.

I'd like to use a waterborne paint and my dad thinks I should just prime it and use a behr interior eggshell/satin paint. I don't feel that will be hard enough especially for the top that might get a tv or other knick knacks.

I've been reading about alkyd paints and urethan acrylic enamels.

PPG Breakthrough, Cabinet Coat, Dunn Edwards Aristoshield, SW proclassic all have great reviews.

Breakthrough being a california resident I read is no longer good.

I wanted to spray with an HVLP but making a booth in my garage will be tough so looks like brush and roller or pad is the plan.

What paint should I go with? Maybe a cheap behr latex and a few poly top coats is the way. I have gallons of poly I got on sale.

Also, it's 3/4' pine ply. Nice stuff. Gonna sand my joints and prime it after work next two days.

Ps. I signed up for paintalk.com and posted in there. Topic was closed as I mentioned I wasn't a paid professional and was reccomened DIYchatroom.com. So dumb when that happens. During my research, google results don't bring up DIYcahtoom threads. It's funny when some forums are kind of stuck up like that.

"cheap Behr" isn't a good idea--in fact, cheap isn't a good idea for any brand of paints, I would use a top of the line acrylic enamel for top coats, the cheap latex paints would encourage blocking (where objects stick to the finish even after it has dried for months). I would use a couple of coats of shellac based BIN as primer, and sand to eliminate imperfections before applying a couple of coats of top coat. There isn't really a need for a clear coat on top unless the esthetics call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Breakthrough being a california resident I read is no longer good.
    I'm in California and this is news to me. I really like PPG Break-Through. You might want to take a peek at the official PPG webpage on Break-Through and click on the "Where to Buy" button. When I did that it showed the same Sacramento paint stores that sold it to me a few years ago.

https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/b...ior-waterborne

https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/b...ior-waterborne

If you do decide on Break-Through and want to spray it with a HVLP gun, you will have to thin it. Borrowing the standard advice from all the regular participants on this finishing forum, invest a few dollars in a Ford #4 viscosity cup (approx. $5), and learn how to use it. It will really augment your spray finishing skills.

I know pro painters who use exterior paint for interiors, especially where moisture and or cleaning will be likely. Any reason not to?

In general, the characteristic that distinguish exterior finishes from interior are not moisture resistance but extra flexibility and increased UV resistance or mildew resistance.

When I remodeled our stairs, I used Benjamin Moore Advance on the skirting and risers. Three years later, there isn't a significant mark to be seen and I know I've given the risers more than a few toe kisses in that time. Since then, I've also used it on base, door, and window trim. Tough stuff but it does somewhat slowly and takes quite a bit more time to cure to full hardness.

It's a heavy bodied paint that rolls well. Not too much Floetrol improves brushing. Success with an HVLP gun depends on how much 'oomph' your setup has. I didn't ever try it with my Earlex. I used an airless gun with a little more Floetrol and got great results.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)