Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are You In Flo's Path?

Blog Entries
    Irony of ironies- We had an earthquake last night. 4.5 offshore- not bad, but still....

It's unfortunate for the people of North Carolina but it seems that the storm will be taking a track away from Virginia which is good news for us. We will see some bad rain and some wind but the tidal surge will be the worst of our worries. We will still lose power but I don't expect much damage from the storm unless the storm surge is worse than our last Hurricane.

This Friday and through the weekend don't be surprised if you cannot connect to SawMill Creek. Even though I have a generator the trees take down our Internet service cable when they bring down the power lines. It sure would be nice to have a wireless secondary access point.

Don't worry about us Keith. Just stay safe. If it goes down, we will be grateful when the creek is back.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for the heads up Keith. I hope you and everyone else in the hurricanes path a safe event.

We're in the path too, a little north of Charlotte so shouldn't get the worst of it by any stretch. I've been through a bunch of tropical storm/hurricane/flooding events here and in New Orleans and Houston. We stocked up on sensible stuff but also beer/booze/chips. We'll be out on the porch having a hurricane party.

I found a YouTube live webcam located at Hotel Ballast on the Cape Fear River, right across from the Battleship North Carolina. It looks like they are in the eye right now but there's still a lot of rain and some wind. One truck and about a half dozen people appeared on the riverwalk. The wind is blowing toward the ocean right now so no storm surge at this point.

And the feed just went black...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I found a YouTube live webcam located at Hotel Ballast on the Cape Fear River, right across from the Battleship North Carolina. It looks like they are in the eye right now but there's still a lot of rain and some wind. One truck and about a half dozen people appeared on the riverwalk. The wind is blowing toward the ocean right now so no storm surge at this point.

And the feed just went black...
    I was watching the one on the "frying pan" platform 39 miles offshore. The waves at first didn't look too big, until you realized the perspective and that the tiny railing on the platform was probably 4' tall or so, and then you realize waves were probably 20 feet, and later in the evening as the sun set they panned the camera towards the waves and they were probably even bigger, with short intervals and spilling crests.

Yeah, I've seen that one. Pretty wild.

Just finished clamping up something I'm making for the entertainment project. Checked the tube and that feed was live again. It's about 15-20 videos in the "Hurricane Florence live cam" search. This one is featured by the Washington Post and has a picture of a wooden pier in some big waves.

When I turned it on, there was a family of four, with two little kids, standing on the riverwalk in flip-flops with virtually no wind or rain. It was overcast and looked like a drizzly day. Then over on the Weather Channel they are posting winds in Wilmington, where that family was out walking, at a steady 45 MPH, gusting to 65. It's annoying how much they hype the weather. But it does look like Wilmington is right in the eye now.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've seen that one. Pretty wild.

Just finished clamping up something I'm making for the entertainment project. Checked the tube and that feed was live again. It's about 15-20 videos in the "Hurricane Florence live cam" search. This one is featured by the Washington Post and has a picture of a wooden pier in some big waves.

When I turned it on, there was a family of four, with two little kids, standing on the riverwalk in flip-flops with virtually no wind or rain. It was overcast and looked like a drizzly day. Then over on the Weather Channel they are posting winds in Wilmington, where that family was out walking, at a steady 45 MPH, gusting to 65. It's annoying how much they hype the weather. But it does look like Wilmington is right in the eye now.
    It appears that when the cameras go down, it reverts back to old footage. Same thing happened with the frying pan tower, which is now offline. I pulled it up this AM and it was a beautiful, calm day, but the flag was fully intact, so I knew it was old footage.

Just reading online that 150 people are being rescued- these would be the people that were TOLD TO EVACUATE!!! Ugh.

Yesterday I saw a number of officials interviewed being asked about those who refuse to leave. They were professional in their responses but I was wishing one of them would have said, "Don't be selfish and put the lives of our rescuers in danger, too!"

This is the one I've been watching on the TV. They have been switching from Hotel Ballast in Wilmington to Broad & Front Streets in New Bern to some other place I can't identify. They have their cameras manned and they pan and zoom, which makes it more interesting while watching this unfold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6GksMVm0NA
    Last edited by Julie Moriarty; 09-14-2018 at 1:05 PM. Reason: more info

On those rescued after being told to evacuate. If they were unable to evacuate, give them a pass. If they were able to evacuate and didn't...would "IDIOT" tattooed in 1" letters on their foreheads be too much?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We came thru just fine. A lot of small limbs and pine cones down, waiting to be picked up. Duke Energy turned power off around 11:00 AM yesterday, and turned it back on around 6:30 PM. In about an hour, a limb took it out, with power restored around 9:30 PM. Crews were down the street this morning working on lines. Road flooded down by creek, but it does that in a heavy dew. Years ago, when bridge was built, they tucked it up against the high bank on other side, allowing water to pass over road and not wipe out bridge.

Yesterday I saw a number of officials interviewed being asked about those who refuse to leave. They were professional in their responses but I was wishing one of them would have said, "Don't be selfish and put the lives of our rescuers in danger, too!"
    I saw one phone interview with a rescue worker who said pretty much exactly that! Something to the effect of "Don't expect us to risk our lives saving those who had plenty of time to save their own.."

And I liked one FEMA guy's answer to 'what do you tell folks who tell you they're not leaving?'
    -- "...we ask them to write down the names and contact info of their next of kin so we can contact them when we find your bodies."

Winston Churchill said 'there's nothing more exhilarating than being shot at, and missed'...
    Maybe so, but seems to me the exhilaration would be lacking if you know the bullet is coming and you refuse to get out of its way...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I've lived in both Florida and California, and there's really no comparison of the relative risk. In 40+ years here, I've witnessed exactly two earthquakes that did what I'd call serious damage (Loma Prieta in 1989 and Northridge in 1994). Pretty much any Atlantic or Gulf hurricane that makes landfall does the same order-of-magnitude damage as both of those earthquakes combined. Not to mention the near-hits and downgraded storms that cause massive flooding hundreds of miles from their "epicenter" equivalent.

And I really question the amount of effective preparation you can do for a Katrina/Sandy/Harvey-sized storm, unless you define "preparation" as "evacuate, return, and rebuild". YMMV.
    This is typical of the folks from earthquake country. I was in Palo Alto for the Loma Prieta earthquake standing behind a 3500 lb laser table. That was only a 7 (maybe 6.9) (they don't count unless they are over 5). Every increase of 1 on the Richter scale is about 30 times the energy released. They are thinking the Big One will be 8+. Some of how destructive it will be will depend on where the epicenter is located. I was about 30 miles north of the epicenter, but the major damage was another 30 miles north of me (60 miles north of the epicenter). Ground conditions and building type make a big difference. Just imagine the 1964 Alaska Earthquake (9.2) centered in a highly populated SF Bay area or Los Angeles .

I can be a couple of hundred miles away when a hurricane hits. You can see them coming. You don't get that chance with an Earthquake. Well actually you do, I choose to live 1700 miles away from the likely earthquake location
    Hurricanes are bad right on the coast, but live inland and stay out of flood plains and you can manage the risk. I will leave Malcolm to speak to island strategies.

One issue with some of the natural disasters are how they are reported on: either over or under report the damage. For Loma Prieta, my folks freaked out a bit since communications was limited and the news kept showing the Nimitz Freeway collapse and the Marina District (which was built on an area that was filled with the rubble of the 1906 earthquake). They didn't show that most areas were relatively ok though there was a bit of damage. On the other hand, Puerto Rico was under reported due to the difficulty of getting around the island after the Hurricane hit.

I don't think folks should be allowed to rebuild in flood prone areas, but some of that is a quirk of the Federal Flood insurance.

Also isn't "evacuate, return, and rebuild" the standard preparation for the forest fires out there?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    And I liked one FEMA guy's answer to 'what do you tell folks who tell you they're not leaving?'
    -- "...we ask them to write down the names and contact info of their next of kin so we can contact them when we find your bodies."
    Sort of like why the airlines want you to stay in your assigned seats: it makes identifying the bodies much easier in the event of a crash.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 09-15-2018 at 9:30 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.