Thread: Compressor Size

Compressor Size

I'm looking for a quiet air compressor. My needs are mainly for blowing out my hollow forms, and perhaps for air brushing in the future. I may also have the need for a brad nailer for my non-turning projects. What would be an appropriate size (gal) compressor for my needs? Thanks.

I just bought a new small California Air Tools compressor and it is quiet. Very quiet compared to my old Craftsman. Mine is the smallest they make - I think it was $79 at Menards - but does everything I need, as I dont use a compressor for spraying finishes. The manual is not very good. It has a muffler that I didnt attach at first, as it was not shown in the manual and I didnt recognize what it was.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 09-10-2018 at 9:16 AM.

3. I have the California Air Tools 10020C and love it. It is just a little on the small side for some of my needs, but I use it a little more heavily that it sounds like you plan to, so you may be able to go a little smaller. OTOH, you may find that you want to use it for more air hungry air tools or heavier duty blowing out of stuff or spraying of finishes on larger projects than turning ones.

In any case I found the CAT models to generally be pretty nice and very quiet. they also seem to be pretty good for their price point. If I were shopping for another compressor not in the large commercial size range I'd buy another CAT in the appropriate size to the task at hand.

Stan - do you know what model you have?

Pete - I took a look at the 10020C. I don't think I need something that big. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I'm looking for a quiet air compressor. My needs are mainly for blowing out my hollow forms, and perhaps for air brushing in the future. I may also have the need for a brad nailer for my non-turning projects. What would be an appropriate size (gal) compressor for my needs? Thanks.
    Painting with an air brush and blowing out sawdust takes only a tiny bit of air. A brad nailer also takes only a small amount of air. (some are bundled with pneumatic nailers) One of the smallest pancake compressors you can buy will handle these tasks. I have one a tiny Craftsman that is not very loud.

An inexpensive pancake compressor will even drive a framing nailer with some patience - we built a horse shelter out in the pasture with a Porter Cable.

But you might imagine if you might want to use another tool in the future. For example, I make good use of a couple of small random-orbital sanders at the lathe and continuous use of these can require more air than the smallest compressors can keep up with.

As for quiet, you can build an sound-insulated box, cabinet, or closet to make any air compressor quiet. I keep a 5 hp compressor in a closet with insulated walls/ceiling.

JKJ

I have a Rolair JC10 Plus that is super quiet and has received great reviews. 2.5 gal, 1hp and 60 dB. I have used it for my turning needs and to run finish nailers without problem. It powers an air brush for a long time without cycling. It has a slow speed motor hence the quiet factor however it has no trouble keeping up with my needs. Check out the specs and see if they would be suitable for your needs. It is relatively light, but I added a cart and a systainer lid to mine to roll tools around the shop. It replaced a small 3 gallon Kobalt unit and I couldn't believe the difference in noise reduction.
    Rolair JC10 Plus.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-10-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I have the Kobalt Quiet Tech 4.3 gallon air compressor from Lowes. Its very quiet, especially compared to my previous Craftsman compressor. I use my compressor mainly for blowing sanding dust off of my turnings and out of my hollow forms. It works great on my pneumatic nailer and stapler as well as my venturi type vacuum chuck.

Edward, I have the CAT 1P1060S (see photo). You can see how small it is relative to the drill next to it. I bought it on impulse when I saw it at Menards. I had heard they were quiet. I use it mostly to drive brads and pins and blow dust, so far its been great. IMG_1964.jpg

9. Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Pete - I took a look at the 10020C. I don't think I need something that big. Thanks for your input.
    You might still consider one of the CAT models, they seem to be among the quietest on the market. I do not have first hand experience with their smaller models, but have heard good things about them.

Thanks for all the feedback.

JKJ - what size compressor are you using for your ROS?

I have a Rolair JC-10 Plus that's very quiet and would meet your needs. The Senco PC1010N is a little smaller and is slightly quieter. It would probably be big enough for what you want to do. I know California Air Tools sells some compressors that a very quiet.