Thread: DIY Domino build

DIY Domino build

I ain't tradin' mine in but one of the best/easy/cheap approximations I have seen.

Overview

Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Here is the build video

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

A fixed machine for Dominos, like a Castle Machine, would be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    A fixed machine for Dominos, like a Castle Machine, would be handy.
    Ha, one could even be built like a horizontal line boring machine and cut perfectly spaced mortises across a wide board. Can you imagine how much one would cost if they brought out a large Festo version?

The problem I see with these types of alternatives is that the bit pivots around a centre point well behind the bit. This will create a wider cavity at the back of the mortise than the front opening. It would be better to use a mechanism to move the router laterally that is perpendicular to the mortise that you are wanting to create.

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    The problem I see with these types of alternatives is that the bit pivots around a centre point well behind the bit. This will create a wider cavity at the back of the mortise than the front opening. It would be better to use a mechanism to move the router laterally that is perpendicular to the mortise that you are wanting to create.
    The pivot point moves in/out with the carriage, so if you swing the bit fully to one side or the other and then plunge, the wall will be perpendicular. Watching the usage video he seems to do this very thing as a sort of clean-up cut?? ...after most of the cut is hogged out.

You can cut mortises (plus a whole lot more) of nearly any size, depth, and width with a horizontal router mortiser, and the cost is for cheap. The advantage of the Domino (and poor copies) is in being able to bring the tool to the work. Beyond that, not so much.

https://sites.google.com/site/jteney...outer-mortiser

John

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Ha, one could even be built like a horizontal line boring machine and cut perfectly spaced mortises across a wide board. Can you imagine how much one would cost if they brought out a large Festo version?
    It's not what it costs that's important, but it's what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    The pivot point moves in/out with the carriage, so if you swing the bit fully to one side or the other and then plunge, the wall will be perpendicular. Watching the usage video he seems to do this very thing as a sort of clean-up cut?? ...after most of the cut is hogged out.
    Yes I can confirm this as I built one last year from Stumpy Nubs plans. I also saw Pask Makes video and I think his design is a better one than the designs that use drawer slides and his dust collection design is genius. Wish I'd seen his video before I built mine.