Thread: Remember 9/11

Remember 9/11

I do hope we all take a few minutes and remember 9/11 this Tues. It had an effect on all of us and I am sure it was one of those events we all remember where we were on that crystal clear blue sky day. The aftermath is something we are still paying the price for. Wrote a chapter in the history books that I hope never happens again but it is a reminder of how fragile we all are.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John T.

Thanks for the reminder John.
    It'll be on my mind all day tomorrow.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I always have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it's important to remember the victims and their families. But, on the other, I almost feel like commemorating 9/11 is like celebrating the acts of terrorism that occurred on that day. Surely, those who perpetrated the crime would want us to forever morn our loss and remember that day. It also gave rise to the modern surveillance state, among other things. And so I always feel a little weird and conflicted. I would rather we retain a healthy attitude of resilience, and value our freedom and civil liberties and the price which may come with that, rather than giving up such things based on fear.

While we need to remember we are never completely safe, we also need to be grateful that events like these are rare here but in other places around the globe they are almost an every day event. Can't even imagine a life like that.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

My wife and I will never forget that day. For me I was at work and ran to the lunch room to see what was happening on the TV there. The week was strange, no planes in the sky yet I hardly ever see a plane. My wife was on her way to a dental appointment and she was not sure what to do, keep the appointment, run to be with me or run to be with our son. We both thought our lives would change for ever. I thought we would be under attach like we read about in the middle east today.

Never forget!!
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I was in Columbus installing CVS casework and fixtures when the electricians had a radio on and all work stopped. When we broke for lunch it was weird that there was no planes as we were near the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I always have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it's important to remember the victims and their families. But, on the other, I almost feel like commemorating 9/11 is like celebrating the acts of terrorism that occurred on that day. Surely, those who perpetrated the crime would want us to forever morn our loss and remember that day. It also gave rise to the modern surveillance state, among other things. And so I always feel a little weird and conflicted. I would rather we retain a healthy attitude of resilience, and value our freedom and civil liberties and the price which may come with that, rather than giving up such things based on fear.

In the ideal world but the world has changed and that idealism will not hold true. Maybe in more rural areas but in big cities it is way of life today. Todays wars are so much different than yesterdays. We remember the D Days, Pearl harbor, and other instances that resulted in war and this is such a thing also. May not be the war that we saw back then but still is war and thankfully we are trying to keep off our shores but you never know. It is not a case of live in fear but heightened awareness. It is a chapter that needs to be included in history books because it did happen. There are many still dying from the aftermath of that incident. Those death totals are still climbing. Every day those freedoms and civil liberties are being tested and come under pressure from those that do not want us to have them.
    John T.

This "incident" description has been used a couple of times now. But I don't think it will get popular. We are fortunate to have lawyers who will take on real civil rights issues pro bono. But I think they still charge for the really silly stuff.