Thread: best furniture building site

best furniture building site

I'm not new to woodworking but I am new to furniture making and would like some help in finding sites that you think are the best for furniture making.
    I'm planning to make a computer desk for my daughter and especially need some joinery help.
    Which sites would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Jim

Fine woodworking #164 has a nice computer desk plan. If you need it message me. If you have any joinery questions, post them in the General Woodworking section and we will give you all the information you need.

Fine Woodworking is definitely a good choice. You might also look at woodsmithlibrary.com - you can search back issues of Woodsmith magazine. They usually have 3 or 4 "projects" per issue, at least one of which is furniture. In issue 109, they have a plan for a fairly basic corner computer desk - not "fine furniture," but looks functional. The magazine also has lots of tips and how-tos that you might find useful. I believe you can buy individual issues (or maybe individual articles) or get access to the entire library for ~ $100.

I have spent what amounts to months and months of time reading every woodworking website and subscribed to every magazine both print and virtual (Including ones from other parts of the world) and for my money - the Wood Whisper guild is the best woodworking $ i have ever spent. The step by step instructional videos, sketchup plans, and DIRECT link to the owner and operator, Mark Spagnulo, has been money well spent. In-Fact Marc just released a brand new video series on his site for making a beautiful high tech computer desk. He also has an older video series were he makes a writing desk that may fit your needs as well. I have no connection to Marc or his business other than being and extremely satisfied member of his guild.
    Last edited by Tom DiBiasio; 09-13-2018 at 4:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Subscribe to the Art of Woodworking channel on You Tube. Subscribe to Fine Woodworking online. Watch Gary Rogowski, Steve Latta, Mario Rodriguez, for a younger approach watch Matt Cremona and Marc Spagnuolo.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiBiasio View Post
    I have spent what amounts to months and months of time reading every woodworking website and subscribed to every magazine both print and virtual (Including ones from other parts of the world) and for my money - the Wood Whisper guild is the best woodworking $ i have ever spent. The step by step instructional videos, sketchup plans, and DIRECT link to the owner and operator, Mark Spagnulo, has been money well spent. In-Fact Marc just released a brand new video series on his site for making a beautiful high tech computer desk. He also has an older video series were he makes a writing desk that may fit your needs as well. I have no connection to Marc or his business other than being and extremely satisfied member of his guild.
    This has been my experience as well. Marc runs his site so well and is incredibly responsive.

Plus he has a guilf build for a computer desk. So that might be a good place to look.