Thread: Craftsman compound miter saw blade shift when started.

Craftsman compound miter saw blade shift when started.

I am new to this site so hello to all and my apologies if this is not posted in the correct forum.

I have a Craftsman 12" compound miter saw Mdl: 113.235140 which recently developed a problem when started. I align the blade on the cut line but when I start the saw the blade will shift inward approximately 3/32" I can physically see the blade shift when I start the saw. I have had this saw for many years and it only recently started to have this issue.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions as to what might cause the blade shift or what I can check?

Thank you all.

I think it has to be bearing wear if you see it move before it contacts the wood. But a blade with fine teeth can move a little just because with 45 degree angle one side of the blade is cutting with the grain and the other side is cutting against the grain.

Just took a look at it on SearsPartsDirect. Goes together very similar to mine. First thing I would do is make sure the motor/gearbox mounting screws through the blade guard are tight and that there is no play in the blade mounting spindle. How: Unplug the saw. Remove the blade. Check the blade spindle for any in and out looseness, it should not move. If it moves you may need to replace the gear box on the end of the motor or at least a bearing or bearings for the output spindle. If the spindle seems ok, check the 4 screws that hold the gearbox onto the guard. On mine 3 are easily accessed but the fourth is behind the little access door that is lifted to change the blade. You may have to raise that door farther than usual or remove it. Make sure those 4 screws are tight. The only other possibility for the problem in my opinion, keeping in mine I have a slightly different model, is that maybe the blade clamping nut is loose but that should be real obvious.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Just took a look at it on SearsPartsDirect. Goes together very similar to mine. First thing I would do is make sure the motor/gearbox mounting screws through the blade guard are tight and that there is no play in the blade mounting spindle. How: Unplug the saw. Remove the blade. Check the blade spindle for any in and out looseness, it should not move. If it moves you may need to replace the gear box on the end of the motor or at least a bearing or bearings for the output spindle. If the spindle seems ok, check the 4 screws that hold the gearbox onto the guard. On mine 3 are easily accessed but the fourth is behind the little access door that is lifted to change the blade. You may have to raise that door farther than usual or remove it. Make sure those 4 screws are tight. The only other possibility for the problem in my opinion, keeping in mine I have a slightly different model, is that maybe the blade clamping nut is loose but that should be real obvious.
    Thank you for your input it is very much appreciated, I will take a look at it this weekend and let you know my findings. Then again this may be a good excuse to by the Bosch bevel glide...lol

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Lang Jr View Post
    ...this may be a good excuse to by the Bosch bevel glide...lol
    I gave away my other miter saws when I got a Bosch glide. It has been fantastic.

+1 to what John stated... I did the exact same thing.

Robert

Hi James,

Problem solved, I think. I took the motor assembly apart and noticed that the bearing (see A) would slide in and out 1/8" from the housing (see B). Took a closer look as to what might be causing this but could not find anything. To solve the problem of the bearing sliding I seated the bearing into the housing and then using a punch dimpled the edges of the housing so the bearing would not be allowed to side. Put the saw together and so far so good, the bearing does not slide and the blade stays true. I don't know how long this fix will work but I can't complain on a saw that's more then 20 years old if it fails.

Thanks again for your input, it gave me a great place to start looking.

Bill

Mitersaw.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files