Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearvue is releasing a new metal cyclone, the Pentz EF5

I've been hoping and waiting for Clearvue to go in this direction.

I just watched the Wilkerson video. Besides the wyes and the lack of a straight run into the cyclone (corrugated flex at that) you also have the 6" drops to the small outlet tools like the Grizzly bandsaw. With that 6" drop necked down to a 2.5" inlet the velocity is going to drop to nothing in the 6" pipe.

I guess I get April's appeal (OK I really don't) but it is fascinating to me that she has over 3/4 of a million subs.

In any event, I am interested in the EF5 (F-5 Tornado I assume). Having a non-DIY option from "not so" Clearvue will likely increase their market share, that has been the main, if not only, gripe about the Clearvue systems. If I have time I may call tomorrow and inquire about the pricing and availability.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Over the weekend, changed my planer knives and then milling up soft maple quickly jammed up the cyclone with long shavings. I was wishing I had the clear plastic to be able to see the clog occur.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    April Wilkenson just had it installed in her shop...YouTube video is up. It appears to be a substantial unit. I don't like her install, however, with flex through her walls.
    One of my guys sent me that video. I didn't understand that aspect either. Flex should be used sparingly at the source, but at the cyclone? I can't imagine that's helping anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    One of my guys sent me that video. I didn't understand that aspect either. Flex should be used sparingly at the source, but at the cyclone? I can't imagine that's helping anything.
    The problem is it creates a lot of turbulence right before the cyclone and results in poor separation. That is the reasoning behind the recommendation for at least 5-8 feet of straight smooth walled pipe just prior to the cyclone inlet. The use of the 90 degree flex and sagging at that also impacts the total CFM but she has CFM to spare with her tools. I posted a comment about the flex on the video, I didn't mention anything else so as not to look like I was picking it apart. I wonder if her fans will knight for her and slaughter me. In the end (as already mentioned) it would be best to at least move the cyclone down to the left and add a length or two of Norfab to reduce the turbulence, a lot cheaper than replacing packed filters at a higher rate.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    They could have located the unit 5 feet down the wall and run a straight section of steel into the inlet, even leaving the flex in place would have been a big improvement. I would have put the main run about 3-4' off the wall, turned the wyes to the wall and put an ell to turn them down.
    I am just setting up a Clearvue I bought two weeks ago. It is my first DC that I am setting up for myself and never would have thought about wyes pointing down and the issues that would cause. I wish there was a sticky thread about DC's and ducting. Everything you ever wanted to know and some you didn't want to know. Who knew something so simple could be so complicated?
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

CV has been working on a metal cyclone for about 5 years. Cost of fabricating the helical baffle and sloped inlet were the issues at that time. I think the original intent was also to increase the diameter and length a little. Dave

Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see how the pricing compares to a similar Oneida.
    NOW you tell me...

I would guess the price will be higher due to the design elements. The CV is closer to a commercial cyclone in design and a Torit of similar size is 3-4K just for the cyclone. A cyclone with a long rectangular involute inlet is even more expensive. Rather just price, I'd like to see a comparison of separation % for fines at various inlet velocities as well as pressure drop at those same velocities. Better separation at lower pressure drop is what you are paying for with any cyclone but it is almost impossible to get those numbers. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I saw her video and was going to mention the 5% discount if you gave the code "wilkerdos". I noticed the flex through the wall too, but was more concerned with the wyes turned down on the main run, a catch all for off cuts. Although with 5 hp, it may not really be an issue. They could have located the unit 5 feet down the wall and run a straight section of steel into the inlet, even leaving the flex in place would have been a big improvement. I would have put the main run about 3-4' off the wall, turned the wyes to the wall and put an ell to turn them down.
    I am not clearly understanding the issue with the wyes. Can you explain further? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I am not clearly understanding the issue with the wyes. Can you explain further? Thanks
    The branches from the wye's are pointing directly down. Generally speaking, it's a "best practice" to branch horizontally so that material cannot fall into said branches when air flow is removed, building up at the bottom of that drop. It's a natural inclination to point them down because that keeps everything "on the wall", but there is a down-side as I've described.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim the downside to the wyes coming out horizontally is the extra ninety degree elbow needed to point down adds an equivalent of 10 feet of straight pipe drag to the system. In this case not likely an issue because of the 5hp cyclone. It becomes a bigger issue on long runs or with marginal systems. With blast gates up along the top of the drops and remembering to open the blast gates once in a while should never be an issue. If the gates are at the bottom of the drop or at the machine then yes they can fill up and get plugged. The use of flex hose at the cyclone inlet amounts to more drag than having the horizontal wyes. Dust collection is never easy is it.

The branches from the wye's are pointing directly down. Generally speaking, it's a "best practice" to branch horizontally so that material cannot fall into said branches when air flow is removed, building up at the bottom of that drop. It's a natural inclination to point them down because that keeps everything "on the wall", but there is a down-side as I've described.
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    So now people can get the Pentz design without the kit aspects if they want.
    So... how does a Pentz design differ from everything else?

I concur Jim, I didn't like the flex doing through the wall. I think she should have used metal duct with an insulation wrap similar to what is used in the HVAC industry to cover hot and cold chiller lines. It has a hard shell around the insulation. then once it entered the shop wall then she could have transitioned to the flex.

April Wilkenson just had it installed in her shop...YouTube video is up. It appears to be a substantial unit. I don't like her install, however, with flex through her walls.