Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clearvue is releasing a new metal cyclone, the Pentz EF5

I really don't see the wye issue as a problem, I don't see how you would get that much debris to clog the system. The reason I say this is because if you have the system on, and it has enough power to move the air and debris you should be running the DC for long enough after completing the task without even thinking about it. For example, if I'm routing a profile on a board on a router table, after it passes the bit, I am moving the work piece, shutting off router, then shutting off the DC.

I just called Clearvue. The EF5 with a steel collection drum, filter clean out, electrical box/remote with filters (basically like the bundles for the other cyclones but with a collection drum) is roughly $3500. This puts it just above the Oneida Dust Gorilla Pro Smart 5hp.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Do they have a design drawing and dimensions yet? Is the impeller housing steel and fabricated too? A benefit of a steel unit is the ability to use a heavier frame three phase motor vs the small frame used in the standard unit. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Do they have a design drawing and dimensions yet? Is the impeller housing steel and fabricated too? A benefit of a steel unit is the ability to use a heavier frame three phase motor vs the small frame used in the standard unit. Dave
    I didn't ask about dimensions/drawings specifically but they said they are working on the new web page for it. The impeller housing is steel, I will attempt to get the picture of it to show in the video. (for some reason it is not accepting the time code in the youtube link, if you go to 3:25 in the video you get a decent look at the impeller housing/motor)

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I just called Clearvue. The EF5 with a steel collection drum, filter clean out, electrical box/remote with filters (basically like the bundles for the other cyclones but with a collection drum) is roughly $3500. This puts it just above the Oneida Dust Gorilla Pro Smart 5hp.
    Did they have any info on if it is available immediately or when it would be for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Liegel View Post
    Did they have any info on if it is available immediately or when it would be for sale?
    I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I really don't see the wye issue as a problem, I don't see how you would get that much debris to clog the system. The reason I say this is because if you have the system on, and it has enough power to move the air and debris you should be running the DC for long enough after completing the task without even thinking about it. For example, if I'm routing a profile on a board on a router table, after it passes the bit, I am moving the work piece, shutting off router, then shutting off the DC.
    I've got two installed incorrectly. They need to be opened periodically to get them cleared if they aren't used. They can and do plug to the point air flow alone will not clear them.

It's not a time issue and allowing the trunk top clear, it's unused drops that get plugged as chips don't 100% make it over the hole in the floor of the horizontal trunk or branch.

The turn to the floor is the lesser of evils

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post

It's not a time issue and allowing the trunk top clear, it's unused drops that get plugged as chips don't 100% make it over the hole in the floor of the horizontal trunk or branch.

It is that pesky fluid dynamics. As the air stream moves down the nice smooth straight pipe (assuming the velocity is high enough) the particles remain in suspension, when the stream encounters the big gaping hole on one side from a wye the turbulence this causes in the airstream causes areas of lower velocity in the stream and allows particles to drop out of suspension, think the inside of a curve in a river/stream where the sand bank is formed due to lower speed flow. With a horizontal wye the dropped particles have no place to drop except to the bottom of the pipe and as the turbulence spins and flows it eventually gets moved on down the pipe, with a vertical drop wye those particles drop down and pack up in the bottom of the drop.

I am going to have to go home and open one of my drops and see what is in it. There is one close to the cyclone that I rarely use. I would be interested to see what is sitting in it. If anything.

Sometimes you will hear the pipe clearing when you open a gate. The issue is a bigger deal with either low hp or low pressure impellers. A high pressure radial impeller will clear clogged trunks better than a marginally size curved impeller. If the system is designed properly, whether the wyes are horizontal or vertical won't be a deal breaker. Dave

Is her design the most efficient? No. Will she even notice it? No...since this is her first big system...nothing to compare to.

Will it likely work just fine? Yes...probably.

With all the work she put into the shop, this ducting is just a slight blemish on an otherwise darn good job she has done putting her shop together.

Bernoulli wouldn't be too happy. hahaha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, you're correct on all counts. It's just surprising to some of us that a "top rated" dust collection manufacturer would be directly involved in an installation that strays from some of the important "best practices" that will help their product perform the best. She clearly was depending on them for the support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw Van's post in the comments and added my own to his. And Yes, I agree that if ClearVue designed all that and April followed it to a tee, I would question what the heck CV was thinking. I'm betting April strayed from the original design and took some liberties for whatever reasons--we'll probably never know.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Chris, you're correct on all counts. It's just surprising to some of us that a "top rated" dust collection manufacturer would be directly involved in an installation that strays from some of the important "best practices" that will help their product perform the best. She clearly was depending on them for the support.
    Some of what were thought to be good practise has been proven to be wrong in recent times but the message has not filtered through. Some things which were always obviously wrong has never filtered through and recent improvements are just plain ignored.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    - The flex tube transition to the outdoor cyclone, I don’t really like in the system. She saved $200???
    - She should’ve mounted the whole system higher and had a longer flex tube drop to the barrel for the initial set up. This would have added a higher drop where she could’ve added a future Oneita rotary airlock. Then put a dump trailer or a trailer of some sort under the airlock. https://www.oneida-air.com/pdf/rotar...l-web-2016.pdf
    -I don’t like how her drops are configured. They should have come in at the side of main trunk and not the bottom. I guess she’ll learn when she turns on her DC and her barrel fills up from one drop and clogs the impeller and filters.
    - I don’t like how she put in blast gates in the main that she struggles to reach. (Just put the blast gate at each Machine.)
    - I wish she as well used self cleaning metal blast gates...
    - she made a statement during her video to make sure that the proper angle for the down shoots are properly installed. I think she missed this part
    Maybe i’m being a little too critical.

- I do like how she was able to mount it outside and that some thought was put into the outdoor exhaust, and putting the filters on the inside for recovery air.

I made my own Bill Pentz cyclone for under thousand dollars all out of stainless steel including the impeller. I have a 17 1/4” X 4” 8 blade backwards curve radial impeller, that has a 8 blade (8” diameter in the 9 inch updraft tube) conventional fan that leads into the radial impeller. Bill Pentz stated himself that wet wood dust travelling at that speed (+100 mph) is like a sandblaster. It will rust and sandblast the inside of the cyclones if regular steel is used. He suggested rubber or stainless steel transition inside. I wonder how Clearview has overcome this? Some here have asked to see my fan curve chart(which I’m currently working on). Does this new cyclone provide a fan curve chart???

Edit; maybe she did install it high enough for a rotary airlock and trailer. Maybe I spoke too early. It looks like she only has maybe 6 inches to the soffit from the motor.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-11-2018 at 11:55 PM.