Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clearvue is releasing a new metal cyclone, the Pentz EF5

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    -I don’t like how her drops are configured. They should have come in at the side of main trunk and not the bottom. I guess she’ll learn when she turns on her DC and her barrel fills up from one drop and clogs the impeller and filters.
    If the drop gets totally full that won't happen as the machine will not be able to move it all, never the less a good point for everyone to note. You guys aren't used to installing cyclones outside the workshop where in other places it is routinely done and the ducting goes through the wall with no return to the workshop at all.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Back in the day, I remember discussing the wyes pointing down with Bill. As previously mentioned and as long as the system has adequate velocity the wyes in that configuration are the lesser of two evils. One wye is a better choice than a wye and a 90 degree elbow. I have one wye in the downward orientation in my main and I've never seen much of anything in it. However, I can hear Bill having a fit over the flex off the intake. I'd wager that the flex will be changed for hard piping at some point. It goes against everything the he's ever taught even though I'm sure the machine has enough power to overcome it.

Overall the cyclone is a very nice looking machine. From what I can see it appears to have a straight blade impeller vs the reverse curve but it's hard to tell for sure in the video. If so, it's more efficient but likely noisier. I'd be interested in seeing how much clearance there is in the housing and what the db rating of the unit is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NEC does not allow flex cord through a wall. She could run PVC or metal flex conduit with the wires inside that. but not the cord even if inside the conduit.
    Where does she live? USA I think. how bad an idea is blowing all that air outside in her weather. For me it would be okay in spring or fall but not in summer days or winter.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    NEC does not allow flex cord through a wall. She could run PVC or metal flex conduit with the wires inside that. but not the cord even if inside the conduit.
    Where does she live? USA I think. how bad an idea is blowing all that air outside in her weather. For me it would be okay in spring or fall but not in summer days or winter.
    Bill D
    I totally missed that. If the power cord is travelling through the wall it needs to be in conduit or in armoured cable. In most jurisdictions, another disconnect Has to be installed outside at the point of the appliance for safety reasons. I guess she did not get this as a properly electrically installed. DYI is one thing... but maybe Clearview should’ve suggested a certified electrician on site for proper set up and code compliance.

In the US there is not a single phase plug that is certified for 240 V at 5 hp. So… The manufacture has to state in the literature that hook up and wiring needs to be performed by a certified electrician and/or inspected by somebody certified after installation. Maybe this is all pre-inspection video. I don’t think it was a video on how to do it right.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-12-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    My main concern with the wye configuration is with regards to off cuts dropping down the unused vertical pipes. If no off cuts are generated upstream, It would be less of a problem, however heavier chips or shavings could still drop. But with a 5 hp blower, lot likely a big issue. On the same hand, an extra elbow will not be an issue with that large of a system.
    NOW you tell me...

Jim, I agree that flex through the walls was a little strange. Also, I'm wondering why she exhausted (through filters) inside her shop.

But it looks like a great system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Jim, I agree that flex through the walls was a little strange. Also, I'm wondering why she exhausted (through filters) inside her shop.

But it looks like a great system.
    That is normally done, to not create heat or AC losses. If a heating is less than high efficiency fuel, it also prevents carbon monoxide emissions being sucked in through exhaust ports. If the shop is negatively pressurized it will suck the smoke right down a chimney. She did that right as she was worried about losing her AC to the outdoors in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    how bad an idea is blowing all that air outside in her weather. For me it would be okay in spring or fall but not in summer days or winter.
    Bill D
    She is exhausting the air back into the shop to retain the conditioned air.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    She is exhausting the air back into the shop to retain the conditioned air.
    They have set up a bypass to have the option of exhausting to atmosphere or into the filters, she specifically mentions that.
    Chris

All the not-best install issues seem to point to an opportunity for additional video covering upgrades with more traffic using the CV and Pentz words. Like computers, cell phones, etc., updates provide more media and more public discussions. Not sure if it is real manipulation, but it does keep the user banter up.

But then, I may be cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Also, I'm wondering why she exhausted (through filters) inside her shop.
    She's in Texas, I believe (or some other very warm southern state), and the shop has AC. Exhausting outside would mean dumping conditioned air and that costs money, even with the supposedly 40 SEER MiniSplit systems she has in the building. She does have provision to exhaust directly outside if she chooses and calls that out in the video.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I watched her video when it first came out, and I cringed a little. However, maybe CV knows something we don't about what she was asking it to do and what the system was capable of - knowing those flex hose snafus wouldn't affect what she was trying to accomplish. Interesting to me though, if that is indeed the case, is that there are many people who model their own systems off of watching other DIYers do it on You tube. Not "knowing" what they know about the machines capabilities and what she was requiring it to do is not something most people who buy dust collectors (who don't do enough homework) are going to recognize - and could be more dissatisfied with the product.

I have seen some appalling dust extractions systems on YT, in fact there are very few good ones.
    Chris

We should probably separate the discussion of the new product from the implementation on the video. Manufacturers can suggest installation and electrical preferences but not mandate them. Every buyer can install DC correctly or however they wish, but none can modify the design of the cyclone or impeller. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    We should probably separate the discussion of the new product from the implementation on the video. Manufacturers can suggest installation and electrical preferences but not mandate them. Every buyer can install DC correctly or however they wish, but none can modify the design of the cyclone or impeller. Dave
    The issue at hand is that the manufacturer had their own people assisting with the installation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]