Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Box Design

Toy Box Design

Hello,

I know this may be an amateur type question, but I can't find any good Toy Box ideas.

I want to make something nice out of a hardwood with an upholstered lid for sitting. Something with simple/attractive rounded edging/trim and such so it doesn't look like a plain box. I usually Google for ideas/plans, and all I can come up with is plywood and a ton of pocket screw holes. I am not completely opposed to that, but I would rather use a glue up and dominos. I am then going to have my daughters name laser cut in the front.

Just seeing if anyone knew of any plans out there or pics from past builds they did to give my non-creative self some ideas...haha

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Enter this in your Google search field:

'wooden toy box -siteinterest.com'

Click on 'images' and you will get tons of ideas. You want it to be larger front to back than it is tall to avoid tipping. Cutouts on the front and sides to clear pinkies is a good idea. Good hinges and an anti-slam feature of some kid too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Enter this in your Google search field:

'wooden toy box -siteinterest.com'

Click on 'images' and you will get tons of ideas. You want it to be larger front to back than it is tall to avoid tipping. Cutouts on the front and sides to clear pinkies is a good idea. Good hinges and an anti-slam feature of some kid too.

😂😂😂. I swear that’s the first thing I did. When I made it to Google page 4000 with none I liked, I came on here.

Thank you for the additional ideas. Hinges and anti-slam were two of my top priorities. I believe Rockler makes a good hinge from previous posts I read.

Ryan, share something of what you have in mind.

Blog Entries
    My experience with toy boxes is that they begin to resemble archaeological dig. The toys deeper down in the box are from years gone by and rarely see the light of day. I would suggest a set of cubbies where all the toys will fit in the spaces and are easier to see. No chance of getting buried.

Here is a toy storage that I made for my daughter that survived two children(soory for the poor quality image). It holds plastic tubs that can be easily removed.
    toyshelf.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When my son was very small, I built three stacking trays for toys. When they were loaded with toys, they were heavy enough that he couldn't move them so no danger of pinched fingers or heads. Every few months we would rearrange the trays for him and he'd get "new" toys to play with. After he got too old for that, they spent some time as under-bed storage and now they are being used by some friends for their small kidlets.

Ryan, I make two different kinds of toy chests. One is painted plywood, glued and screwed, with handles cut into the sides. No plans, just winged it based on being frugal with the sheets of plywood (that is, making sides out of one section of ripped 4x8). Only photo I have is of the interior - name of child was later painted on the front.
    The second was more furniture-looking, with oak panels stained and finished, but with a top that has a frame around it to make it more like a seat. Photo attached. Rather than upholstering, I found that there are cushions you can buy that will fit that space for sitting. No plans for this either just made it roughly 20x20x32 to use wood efficiently. Basically, I looked at a bunch of online plans for linen chests or hope chests and took it from there. Joinery is mortise and tenon rather than screws. Rockler soft close hinges.

IMG_1915.JPGIMG_1801.jpg
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 09-10-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Ryan, I make two different kinds of toy chests. One is painted plywood, glued and screwed, with handles cut into the sides. No plans, just winged it based on being frugal with the sheets of plywood (that is, making sides out of one section of ripped 4x8). Only photo I have is of the interior - name of child was later painted on the front.
    The second was more furniture-looking, with oak panels stained and finished, but with a top that has a frame around it to make it more like a seat. Photo attached. Rather than upholstering, I found that there are cushions you can buy that will fit that space for sitting. No plans for this either just made it roughly 20x20x32 to use wood efficiently.

IMG_1915.JPGIMG_1801.jpg

Stan, thank you very much. Your second one is the closet to what I am looking for. I want an actual furniture piece. And to answer some of the other questions, I do not mind if it is heavy or the toys get buried because I am using it as a furniture piece at the end of her bed. That is one the main reasons why I did not want one with a ton of pocket screws. I would rather some nice hardwood boards laminated attached to the legs with dominos or something similar.

I will most definitely be looking into that cushion. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Ryan, share something of what you have in mind.
    I can't find anything that I love. In my mind I am thinking laminated hardwood attaching to the legs with dominos. I will add a couple photos, but not exactly what I am looking for. The last post that Stan had is probably the closest. Thanks!

custom-toy-chest-girls-toy-box-personalized-toy-chest-bench.jpg

personalized-wood-toy-box-personalized-large-wooden-chest-toy-by-on-custom-wood-toy-chest.jpg

toy-box-296x300.jpg

What if, instead of thinking "toy box" you think "hope chest" or "blanket chest"? Make it something she will want to have long after she's outgrown the toys in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    What if, instead of thinking "toy box" you think "hope chest" or "blanket chest"? Make it something she will want to have long after she's outgrown the toys in it.

Dave, thanks for the reply. I was just discussing that same exact thing with someone. I limited myself by typing “Toy Box” when I think I am looking more for a hope chest.

I will be looking tonight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My experience with toy boxes is that they begin to resemble archaeological dig. The toys deeper down in the box are from years gone by and rarely see the light of day. I would suggest a set of cubbies where all the toys will fit in the spaces and are easier to see. No chance of getting buried.
    Here is a toy storage that I made for my daughter that survived two children(soory for the poor quality image). It holds plastic tubs that can be easily removed.
    My experience is the same. If the toy box is too deep things at the bottom are buried and forgotten. Digging to the bottom to hunt for something is frustrating. If set on a chest, perhaps make it shallow. Could even be a big drawer (or a couple of shallow plastic tubs that can be pulled out) on a very low cabinet or the lowest drawer/tubs on a short cabinet with some smaller drawers above for small toys.

JKJ

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me their input and ideas. Between talking to Stan and a photo of a "hope chest with cushion" and not using "toy box," I think I found something very close to what I am looking for. I will just have to tweak a few things. And apparently come up with the plans on my own unless I find something...haha

Thanks again!

cedar-chest-with-cushion-hope-chest-with-seat-furniture-small-cedar-cedar-chest-with-cushion-sea.jpg

Plans for that should be pretty straightforward once you settle on dimensions.

Try a search on "6 board chest". Basically, you're building a box and adding some trim for the base and some on the top.