Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging spice rack on hollow core door

Blog Entries
    I think Frederick has the solution. Glue a 1/2" pad with a routed edge to the door and mount the spice rack on it.

Do like those hanging shoe racks. Get some thin strips of metal and bend a hook on one end to fit over the top of the door. Then drill some holes to mount the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    Do like those hanging shoe racks. Get some thin strips of metal and bend a hook on one end to fit over the top of the door. Then drill some holes to mount the rack.
    Exactly! You can even screw them to the top edge of the door. Some even form a "U" over the top and just hang.
    I know that these are also premade, but I don't where you would get them. They used to be on some of the doors at work, that were metal fire rated doors that couldn't have holes drilled in them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Got some 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick aluminum bar from the big box and will fasten to the top of the door. Thanks for the suggestion, Davis and Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Exactly! You can even screw them to the top edge of the door. Some even form a "U" over the top and just hang.
    I know that these are also premade, but I don't where you would get them. They used to be on some of the doors at work, that were metal fire rated doors that couldn't have holes drilled in them.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

David, Sorry I got back so late. I used the molly bolts that are hinged and use a bigger hole drilled in the door, then the ones shown in the previous posts.
    The 1x6 wood covered the larger hole needed for the bigger molly bolt. Using the wood and larger molly bolts would look nicer then hanging brackets over the door. The brackets tend to rub against the door frame when closing also.

If you don't want to make visible holes in the door

1. Use adhesive of some sort, may leave a mark when removed.

2. Run a pair of vertical cleats top to bottom and fasten them using thin metal brackets flat on the top and bottom of the door. The cleats might be 1 x 1 hardwood, attach the spice rack to them.