Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging spice rack on hollow core door

Hanging spice rack on hollow core door

I would like to hang an oak spice rack to a hollow core door. The interior construction of the 6-panel door is a mystery to me. Are their any interior rails or stiles or is it a rectangular frame with Masonite sheet attached? Our house was constructed in 1992 and I would assume the doors are the low-priced contractor grade.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Typically hollow core doors have a web of corrugated cardboard inside. Nothing to really attach screws to, though. You could probably use some toggle type anchors but I would be inclined to make some aluminum or brass brackets that go up to the top of the door. Screw them to the back of the spice rack and to the top of the door.

I guess it depends on whether or not you care about putting holes in the skin of the door. Personally, I would want to make it as reversible as possible.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can use the expanding hollow wall type fasteners for 1/4" material. They will hold your spice rack with no problem.
    wall.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Got one on a hollow core door at my folks'. Builder glued a 1/4" MDF back on it and then stuck it to the door with construction adhesive. Been on there for years.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-09-2018 at 8:49 PM. Reason: Clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can use the expanding hollow wall type fasteners for 1/4" material. They will hold your spice rack with no problem.
    wall.jpg
    +1 . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    +1 . . . .
    Not sure these anchors will do the job as even a 1/4" version requires the the door skin to be 1/4", which it certainly is not on the usual hollow core door. I suspect you could install a small 1/4" thick square of mdf, or the like, and drill through the mdf and the door to make up the minimum 1/4". However, my desire would be to make it reversible, as was previously mentioned.

Hi David, a couple of small toggle bolts would do the trick...........Regards, Rod.

Very wide french cleat?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

If you don't want to trust any of the hollow wall anchors why not just run 1/4" carriage bolts thru the whole door?

I agree with Aaron. Screw the cleat into the stiles and you can hang anything from it,

Blog Entries
    Build a new door.

The skin is usually around 1/16-3/32” thick or thin I should say. A loaded spice rack especially with glass bottles gets really heavy so care needs to be used trying to hang it on the door. At some point you will sell the house and you will have to replace the door panel as it would be an ugly door with holes in it. Does this door get opened and closed much?

The thoughts of a true craftsman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Build a new door.
    Your views on the toggle bolts are very helpful. The skin is probably too thin for the 1/4" variety. I found some that do not have a minimum thickness but they also have no tangs. Not sure how these would fasten to the door.

The stiles are not much wider than the door jambs so clearance would be too limited on the sides. Maybe the top rail is wider and I can find a good anchor there.

As always, thanks for the great input from all of you.

David, I attached a 1x6 to the hollow core door going down into my cellar with molly bolts. I then used the 1x6 to attach clips to to hold a broom, mop and dust pan.

Michael, Did you use the bolt type recommended above by others? Thanks