Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee table

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I do think Ishitani nailed it. His deeper rails and thicker top both provide far more leg support for all those years of abuse. His loose top would not be a problem. My shaker cherry coffee table has had a loose top for 20+ years!
    I like the heft of his version of it as well.

That's a really nice coffee table Derek. Ishitani's work is of another dimension in his craftsmanship and design. Your son is going to be pleasantly surprised for sure.

Incredible design.

Being a young person who moves around a lot, I've never made typical furniture because I know that it will be difficult to take with me when I move. But, I love the idea of high quality, hand made furniture that can be knocked down and transported -- this is something I haven't attempted before, but you inspire me to give it a try some time. I absolutely love this design, and the workmanship is incredible -- much cleaner than I think I could manage.

Luke, I think plywood and milk crates are fantastic furniture for a young man on the move - worked well for me. Glad you are going to up the game a bit. While thinking it over, look at the connectors that Lee Valley is offering under the name "playwood". Those make flat-packing your furniture a very real possibility.

When the kids were small, I made a child sized table and chairs from plywood pieces that fit together with stretchers in sockets pressing out while inflexible cord (spectra) pulls it all together. I used turnbuckles to make it tight. It all packs flat and is in the attic, waiting for the next generation. Worked great.

Chicagoland has an outdoor music venue that encourages lawn parties with panache (summer home of the CSO). Kits are pulled in on wagons. Upscale work like Derek's table (with candles and stemware) would be well appreciated. A secondary use as field furniture might allow you to plan for some longer term application of a piece or two - when your roots get planted.

Another beautiful build, thanks for sharing, Derek.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fantastic work as usual Derek! For those of us who do not have a lathe and are unlikely to ever acquire one, do you think it would still work without round legs? Perhaps hexagonal or octagonal?

Hi Steven

Octagonal or rounded/smoothed legs should work fine. These are just preferences in the way we work, and preferences for the eventual aesthetic. The central design feature here was the ability to break down the coffee table for ease of transportation.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice Derek! simple and tasteful. I hope your son's apartment gets some good sunlight, those legs will "ripple" nicely if bathed in sunlight.

Blog Entries
    Show off