Thread: Spiral Cutters

Spiral Cutters

I have a 6" Jet Jointer, and a 13" Dewalt 735 planer. Occasionally I have looked at prices to upgrade to spiral cutters, but its been a while. Either my perspective has changed, or there has been a general decrease in prices. True?

Also, when it comes to the 735, I've heard there are different choices that make installation harder or less difficult. I cannot recall where I read that.

Mike

I bought my spiral heads from Grizzly, as they were least expensive I found. Anyone need a 12" 3 blade jointer cutterhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OMelia View Post

Also, when it comes to the 735, I've heard there are different choices that make installation harder or less difficult. I cannot recall where I read that.

Mike
    The Byrd OEM sized head has a larger diameter so all the inserts have to be removed and reinstalled once the head is placed in the planer. So the OEM sized head takes longer to install but the larger diameter improves the cut quality, at least theoretically.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.