Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle Boxes by Bruce Viney

Puzzle Boxes by Bruce Viney

I was trying to locate anybody that has Bruce Viniey's Puzzle Boxes plans. Bruce had passed away in May 2018. His son has decided not to continue his site on the puzzle boxes that was at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/index.html. If anybody has downloaded any of them can you please let me know. My son is very interested in the Sarcophagus Puzzle box. I am hoping to continue to keep his enthusiasm in woodworking going. He has made several of the boxes and would like to make other types of them. It is a shame that the site was not continued. Bruce was a genius with his concepts and construction of these puzzle boxes. It is a shame to let his legacy fad into the horizon.
    Jim Daniels

Do you have a URL? Maybe try plugging it into the Wayback Machine (internet archive): https://archive.org/web/
    I get all of Steven Russell's articles that way. (It's not real speedy.)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Daniels View Post
    I was trying to locate anybody that has Bruce Viniey's Puzzle Boxes plans. Bruce had passed away in May 2018. His son has decided not to continue his site on the puzzle boxes that was at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/index.html. If anybody has downloaded any of them can you please let me know. My son is very interested in the Sarcophagus Puzzle box. I am hoping to continue to keep his enthusiasm in woodworking going. He has made several of the boxes and would like to make other types of them. It is a shame that the site was not continued. Bruce was a genius with his concepts and construction of these puzzle boxes. It is a shame to let his legacy fad into the horizon.
    Jim Daniels

I have accessed the site at https://web.archive.org/web/20150215...0page%207.html. However, it only provides a description or a video of the puzzle box. It does not provide any plans. If I try to place an order and go to checkout, it does not lead anywhere.
    Jim Daniels

I have accessed the site at https://web.archive.org/web/20150215...0page%207.html. However, it only provides a description or a video of the puzzle box. It does not provide any plans. If I try to place an order and go to checkout, it does not lead anywhere.
    Jim Daniels

Well, the ordering and checkout won't work if the website is gone. It wasn't clear to me from your first message that the files were not available for free download. The internet archive will only have a snapshot of what was on the web site before it closed down, including any downloadable files. (I've downloaded a lot of Steven Russell's wonderful files that way.)

Note that even if you found someone who bought and downloaded the plans in the past, they still may be protected by copyright and/or legal agreement.

If you have contact info for the son perhaps he would be interested in having you or someone else revive and operate the web site in exchange for a percentage of the sales, assuming he has access to the files.

There are lots of books on making other wooden puzzles that might be good for the shop time with your son. (I have several here.) Imagine the fun and education of the quest of recreating the puzzle you are looking for by analyzing and making some others!

JKJ

Hello Jim
    I am Bruce Viney's sister. Bruce's death was quite sudden and unfortunately it's only now that his son has felt able to sort out his personal effects. We don't know the full extent of Bruce's business but have come across several puzzle plans and a few solutions. It's possible one of my brothers may take over the site, albeit in a small way, but in the meantime I can send you the Sarcophagus plans if you wish. I'm aware that Bruce sold his plans for a small fee but I would not ask for payment,
    Diane Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Ward View Post
    Hello Jim
    I am Bruce Viney's sister. Bruce's death was quite sudden and unfortunately it's only now that his son has felt able to sort out his personal effects. We don't know the full extent of Bruce's business but have come across several puzzle plans and a few solutions. It's possible one of my brothers may take over the site, albeit in a small way, but in the meantime I can send you the Sarcophagus plans if you wish. I'm aware that Bruce sold his plans for a small fee but I would not ask for payment,
    Diane Ward
    Bruce's site at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/index.html has disappeared entirely. He had the price for the boxes there. I would love to get the Sarcophagus plans and some of the others. However, I do't know what they are now.
    thank you
    Jim Daniels

still available, by a different route

Bruce's site at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/index.html has disappeared entirely. He had the price for the boxes there. I would love to get the Sarcophagus plans and some of the others. However, I do't know what they are now.
    thank you
    Jim Daniels
    Jim, like everything that disappears it's still available through the Wayback Machine, the internet archive. The archive is not speedy but it works.

I tried this:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.viney/gallery page 7.html
    And got this:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150215...0page%207.html

The prices were unreasonably cheap, certainly worth a LOT more. Bruce evidently did this for love, not money.
    BruceViney_screen1.jpg BruceViney_screen2.jpg

JKJ

Jim, As I said earlier we are still sorting through Bruce's things and it will be a while before we know if we can get a website and sales up and running, meanwhile you can check out Bruce's puzzles at Bruce Viney You Tube, he has posted over 100 videos. Can you please email me privately re the Sarcophogus plan.

John, many thanks for the archive links, they're very helpful

DW

Currently our system does not allow Member email links to be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Ward View Post
    Jim, As I said earlier we are still sorting through Bruce's things and it will be a while before we know if we can get a website and sales up and running, meanwhile you can check out Bruce's puzzles at Bruce Viney You Tube, he has posted over 100 videos. Can you please email me privately re the Sarcophogus plan. <br>
    <br>
    John, many thanks for the archive links, they're very helpful<br>
    <br>
    DW
    <br>Hello Diane - I have just come across this thread as I was looking for some plans by Bruce. Firstly let me offer my condolences to you and Bruce's family. It is very sad to hear of his passing - he was such a talented and unassuming persona. I have been a follower of his web site and YouTube channel for some time and have built a couple of his simpler models. I am not sure I have the skills or patience to attempt some of the more difficult ones. It would indeed be a great shame if his plans were lost to the puzzle making community - he was a remarkable resource. Can you please keep me informed of any developments regarding the resurrection of his web site or indeed of the availability of plans that used to be available for sale? I would just like to offer my encouragement and support to you and to his son in the hope that you can revive the availability of this valuable resource. Many thanks - Mark&nbsp;<br><br>
    <br>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wardle View Post
    <br>Hello Diane - I have just come across this thread as I was looking for some plans by Bruce. Firstly let me offer my condolences to you and Bruce's family. It is very sad to hear of his passing - he was such a talented and unassuming persona. I have been a follower of his web site and YouTube channel for some time and have built a couple of his simpler models. I am not sure I have the skills or patience to attempt some of the more difficult ones. It would indeed be a great shame if his plans were lost to the puzzle making community - he was a remarkable resource. Can you please keep me informed of any developments regarding the resurrection of his web site or indeed of the availability of plans that used to be available for sale? I would just like to offer my encouragement and support to you and to his son in the hope that you can revive the availability of this valuable resource. Many thanks - Mark <br><br>
    <br>
    Bear in mind that the original thread is nearly 1-1/2 years old......I suggest you change your editor preferences in your user control panel to the standard editor to eliminate the funny characters.
    Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-17-2020 at 3:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

<br>Hello Diane - I have just come across this thread....
    Mark,

I see Diane Ward has not accessed SMC since last February so she might not see your message. I do have her email address. I can't share it without her approval but if you wish I can send her an email with your message. I suspect she would be happy to hear from you!

However, I don't have your email address so she couldn't respond if she wanted to. Unfortunately, since you are registered as a Member and not a Contributor I don't know if you and I can communicate privately.

(Hey, you might consider becoming a Contributor which has lots of benefits, including private messaging, listing things on Classifieds, etc. Fortunately, it's not a budget-breaking fee - just $6 a year minimum! https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php)

BTW, wonderful box in your photo!

JKJ

Hi John - thanks for the update and quick response - It would be great if you could pass on my message to Diane. I paid $6 to your forum. As you say it's not going to break the budget! I do a bit of hobby woodwork and turning. Puzzles are one of my 'things'. Not sure what the role of a contributor is, but I do have a bit of experience in the workshop and some skills I can share. Happy to be educated - I don't spend a lot of time on forums (fora?) . Here is a picture of the other box I made form Bruce's plans.
    Thanks again for the quick reply
    brown puzzle box.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-18-2020 at 8:36 AM.

Hi John - thanks for the update and quick response - It would be great if you could pass on my message to Diane. I paid $6 to your forum. As you say it's not going to break the budget! I do a bit of hobby woodwork and turning. Puzzles are one of my 'things'. Not sure what the role of a contributor is, but I do have a bit of experience in the workshop and some skills I can share. Happy to be educated - I don't spend a lot of time on forums (fora?) . Here is a picture of the other box I made form Bruce's plans.
    Thanks again for the quick reply
    brown puzzle box.jpg
    Mark, I've emailed your messages and pictures and email address to Diane. I removed the email address link in your message since I think the boss said it's not permitted, but I see you've turned on Email access to your profile so any other Contributor can contact you by PM or through the system as desired. Your email address won't be visible to anyone unless they send you a email through SMC and you respond directly by email. The PM messages are a good way to communicate.

Thank you for becoming a contributor! Every little bit helps to keep SMC on the web - I for one would hate to see it go away! There is no "role" for a contributor, just the advantage to view photos, post things for sale or WTB in Classifieds, remove ads, a few other benefits, continue to participate and share and learn, and the good feeling of helping a little where we all get so much benefit!

Please let us all know if you discover any news about the puzzle box plans!

BTW, do you have some of the puzzle books out there? I buy them when I find them. Most are simple puzzles but still good fun. Some show details of complex puzzles, although not puzzle boxes like Bruce designed.

JKJ

Mark, Diane wrote back and said she would send you an email.

JKJ