Thread: Processing some walnut slabs

Processing some walnut slabs

Rainy Saturday afternoon, laying around watching a little college football feeling guilt I was not doing something constructive. This was one of the rare weekends I did not have any projects under construction so I decided to got out to the shop and find something "constructive" to do.
    I have an outside stack of stickered covered RS slab walnut that I have been ignoring for several years, decide this would be as good time as any to clean it up to make it usable lumber. I purchased this stack of walnut about 7 years ago. Hard to tell how many board feet in the stack. It is about 60 boards, RS, slab (live edge both sides). Boards are 10-20" wide in lengths 8 to 12'. The seller had stored this in his basement, planning to make wall paneling but after 3 years he gave up and just wanted it out of his basement. I gave him $250 for the stack, brought it home, stickered, stacked and covered. Haven't touched it since then.
    The plan is to get all the boards semi processed and moved it to the shop for storage. I will rip the live edges off, skip plan and store vertical until needed. I was able to work through about 1/4 of the stack this afternoon. I straight lined edges with the dewalt track saw and trimmed off split and chainsaw ends. Lots of brown recluse spiders on the boards coming out of the pile.
    By the end of the day I had a nice stack of usable lumber but it sure takes a lot of time to process these from slabs to good usable lumber. I know I'll have a lot of lumber for the money when I get finished but I give some serious thought before purchasing a stack of slab lumber in the future. Watching football tonight!
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    Sorry some of these photos are not turned correctly. I've tried several times to get them positioned correctly to no avail.

Looking good! That’s a lot of work for sure, but I always find it fun seeing the rough come off and seeing the grain. Like unwrapping a present.

How will you store the boards? I’ve found they will move unless stored flat or perfectly vertical.

I plan to store vertical, finally have enough room to store inside the shop. Over the years I've kind of moved away from horizontal storage if possible. I'm a slow learner but have found it is so much easier selecting boards out of a vertical stack.

I find I could work every day building things for my kids, grandkids, nephews, etc. Have started trying to build a chest of drawers for all the babies. My DIL wants some pull out trays, a neighbor needs some cabinets for his bathroom, no end to work. Someday I hope to get to some of my OWN projects.