Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Edge Madrone Desk top, on motorized legs system.

Live Edge Madrone Desk top, on motorized legs system.

Flattening the slab.

2F78B86C-C4D9-4C8F-806B-D1FC12937BC0.jpg

Flattened

45DC353C-9F94-4576-981D-DA773537D421.jpg

Wet with thinner to show what it would look like oiled.

18CC326A-D5F2-497C-861D-F1C7F2235A7F.jpg

The client prefers the look raw , so we put some Daly’s Crystal Fin on it , and he sort of liked it , over Rubio Pure and Daly’s Aqua Spar.

I’m not familiar with any finish that doesn’t change the color some what.
    I’m open to suggestions if someone has some thing that does provide a bit of stain protection and UV protection.

Waterborne acrylic doesn't add much color at all. Or waterborne acrylic/urethane.
    If the client doesn't like the look of finish, use matte or flat sheen. Minwax Polycrylic is available in matte sheen. It sprays much better than it brushes.

We talked about the Dalys Crystal Fin in Matte sheen.

I’ll look for the the Minwax Polycrylic.

Thanks
    Paul

That's going to be a very nice table when completed.

As we often discuss in the Finishing Forum area next door to this Woodworking Projects forum area, most water borne finishes tend to not add any color, but they are also quite "cold" and that can cause a very bland and even blue-ish cast to the workpiece. You'll want to test your finishing regimen on scrap of the same wood you're using for the table before committing to it. You very well may need to apply de-waxed shellac or something else before a water borne finish to achieve an acceptable to the eye end result. While the Minwax Polycrylic is readily available, it's not a "great" finish compared to other choices on the market from General Finishes, Target Coatings, etc...and yes, they also can provide a matte sheen product if that's your client's preferred look.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For interior work, specifically Big Leaf Maple countertops, I have always used Daly's Seafin. Yes it is an oil finish but doesn't significantly darken. It does have a much richer look than Crystalfin. I sand to 400 then seal with Daly's Benite. I then wipe on the Seafin and wet sand before wiping off. Generally wet sand the first two coats. I like the look of four coats. I don't think most of the Easterners are familiar with Daly's.

By the way, where did you find that beautiful Madrona slab? I would love to be able to access some.
    Last edited by David Helm; 09-12-2018 at 6:01 PM. Reason: More things to say
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    The client prefers the look raw , so we put some Daly’s Crystal Fin on it , and he sort of liked it , over Rubio Pure and Daly’s Aqua Spar.
    While "raw" can be taken many ways, I know of no one who doesn't oogle at enhanced wood grain and deep, rich colors. Jim makes a great point about how WB finishes can leave wood looking bland and cold. If that's what your client wants, then WB is the way to go.

I've used Minwax Poly and GF High Performance poly on bare wood. Minwax looks pretty blah. The GF HP poly I used recently on pecky walnut actually looks pretty good. I don't know if it's the wood or the poly but it's the best WB finished walnut I've ever seen.

This is pecky Bolivian walnut with three coats of GF HP poly
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I got the Madrone from Whidbey Island Woodworks and Custom Mill , on Green Road in Oak Harbor.

Raw means no finish , the client likes it as is after sanding best.
    BUT he’d like SOME protection from stains and scratches.

One coat of Shellac un-waxed and one coat of Daly’s Crystal Fin on top of it.

9A974BAA-4911-4408-90BB-A9FD2D64499D.jpg

38C572E8-9FD3-46A6-A947-B4FD473C4E0D.jpg

Looks great Julie!

Top side De-waxed Shellac , I’ll put three or four coats on Dalys Crystalfin in Matte sheen over the Shellac.

Attachment 393461
    Last edited by Paul Girouard; 09-19-2018 at 9:22 AM.

Where are these posts going?? I can’t find them on the design forum ??

Thanks for the replies on the other thread about my not being able to find this one.
    That thread got closed , I guess it was determined the issue is solved.

But on my I phone and I Pad this thread does not exist, the only way I can get to it is to click on my name and use the latest threads I’ve posted to feature to find it.

Not a big deal really , there’s biggger issues in the world.

Maybe I need to log out and shut down my machines, then restart both.

Paul, unfortunately, the forum software currently in use has some, um...inadequacies...relative to mobile device support. One of the primary reasons for the coming switch to new forum software is that it will then have full, native mobile device support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim.
    Today , the thread decided to show up, at least after I opened it with the added step.

I really like this Matte finish in the Daly’s Crystal fin. The live edge is stunning!

48FF3BCB-679A-4793-BAD4-6E989798C76C.jpg

3382742C-4AC2-4494-86A1-C64E98968DA4.jpg

2D83292E-FD92-455F-9CAD-9919E95997F4.jpg