Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you Google something specific?

How do you Google something specific?

I’m looking for info & pricing on a Ridgid tile saw, R4040. Is there a way to search it without having to weed through all the extraneous garbage?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Search... Rigid Tile Saw R4040 pricing... that wasn't hard...first hit that shows up tells you all you need to know

Well, yeah, did that. It doesn't tell me all I want to know. I'm more interested in if there's a way to Google things specifically.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    You can specify the site if you know you want to search a specific location:

"ridgid table saw" site:www.sawmillcreek.org

You can exclude things like Pinterest that make searching the web really frustrating:

pictures of earrings -site:www.pinterest.com versus just pictures of earrings.

Maybe if we knew a specific example of a specific thing you are searching for we could help more(?).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-08-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bruce, you didn't state what info you were looking for. When it comes to tools, I look for the specs. Try this: Ridgid tile saw, R4040 specs
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I keep it simple:
    Rigid R4040 review
    Rigid R4040 (Select video tab to watch videos”
    Rigid R4040 Forum (to find forum reviews and comments about it)
    Rigid R4040 Comparison
    Or
    Rigid R4040 Shootout (these two sometimes will find magazine articles comparing multiple saws)

Well, not to go all meta on you, but if you search for advanced google search techniques, or advanced internet search techniques, you will find a wealth of info.

Here is one decent pdf cheat sheet for Google: http://www.googleguide.com/print/adv_op_ref.pdf

Normally, I just put the model number in the Google search box. Then, with results I select the shopping option and get all kinds of prices.

I also use a site called CamelCamelCamel which gives you a history of prices on Amazon. It will also give you a history of other prices.

Thank you, glenn. ..Very helpful.

This is so valuable, Paul. thank you.

Thanks, I found the info on the wet saw that I needed. My question was really about searching. IIRC, you used to be able to search much more specifically than you can today. I think they even taught classes on how to web search. Searching for something today always brings up reams of faintly related info that you have to sift through. I find it frustrating.

Andy Rooney

If you enclose your search terms in quotes - "rigid R4030" you will only get info on what is in quotes
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

You can exclude things like Pinterest that make searching the web really frustrating:

Maybe if we knew a specific example of a specific thing you are searching for we could help more(?).
    Good idea to exclude Pinterest. It has forever ruined image searching.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Neat trick. It would’ve come in handy a few weeks ago when I was searching for bird house ideas to build with my grandson.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Well, not to go all meta on you, but if you search for advanced google search techniques, or advanced internet search techniques, you will find a wealth of info.

Here is one decent pdf cheat sheet for Google: http://www.googleguide.com/print/adv_op_ref.pdf
    Lots of good info in there, thanks!

Andy Rooney