Thread: Since When?

Since When?

Yesterday was expecting a delivery from Amazon. It is a gallon of Varathane Diamond Floor Gloss water based varnish floor finish. Don't need it till after Thanksgiving. Late yesterday, got an update from Amazon saying delivery was delayed due to "SEVERE WEATHER IN DELIVERY AREA. " Since when did drizzle and light rain become severe weather? Driver should have just said "ain't happening today due to large volume of deliveries." I usually start getting updated time slots about two hours in advance, but got none, which most likely means package wasn't even on truck. Glad I didn't pay for Prime. Last week order some other items, Prime showed three day delivery, but non Prime, they came in two days. Why pay for Prime?

Don't know where you're located Bruce, but if there was a chance of freezing weather in your area they may have delayed delivery of a water based product for that reason?

I have noticed some amazon prime deliveries taking longer than usual. OTOH, I've had quite a few items delivered overnight recently. Seems like if the stuff is in stock in the local warehouse it often gets delivered overnight.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Prime ain't what it used to be, although once the carrier has the package there's not much Amazon can do about it. I'm expecting delivery today of a book ordered 10 days ago. According to the tracking information it was in Jacksonville, FL ( 3 hours drive from here) on the 8th. Then nothing for several days until it went to Louisville, back to Jacksonville, then California, back to Louisville, then Texas, Louisville again, Albany GA and is now in town and "out for delivery".

Amazon was posting that claim about weather for several days and we did have the fringes of a hurricane pass through, but that was almost a week ago and it didn't amount to much in any of those locations. It certainly doesn't explain the circuitous route. Stuff happens.

When it finally gets here I'll be sending it back. I needed it last week.

Don't forget early black Friday, and Christmas. The rush started early this year?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Weather yesterday was light rain, 45 degrees, not exactly adverse weather, unless you are allergic to rain. Low expected last night was 42 degrees. Today's tracking shows delayed in shipment, yesterday at 4:00 PM, and then again this morning at 7:00 AM. If I don't receive it by tomorrow, will cancel order and reorder. Several of my Amazon purchases disappeared for weeks after being tracked to terminal less than 20 miles away. Tracking shows them arriving at terminal, and then POOF!, they are gone.

Blog Entries
    Several of my Amazon purchases disappeared for weeks after being tracked to terminal less than 20 miles away. Tracking shows them arriving at terminal, and then POOF!, they are gone.
    Sounds like a terminal problem.

There are often less than honest people who take jobs in shipping industries just to make a little extra income on the side. Often they go unprosecuted becuase the company doesn't want the publicity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Interesting thread, I place two or three dozen orders per year on Amazon.ca, I've had a few orders per year with an issue and never had a problem getting it resolved. Two or three orders per year don't arrive on time but an equal number arrive early. I think this is a case of the exception getting all the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Interesting thread, I place two or three dozen orders per year on Amazon.ca, I've had a few orders per year with an issue and never had a problem getting it resolved. Two or three orders per year don't arrive on time but an equal number arrive early. I think this is a case of the exception getting all the attention.

The issue wasn't delayed delivery, but the reason - ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS IN DELIVERY AREA. It was in the lower 40's and misting / drizzling rain. Twelve hour total of less then 0.15". I read the rain gauge daily, so I know. Take responsibility and just say, "We don't know where your package is." If it doesn't show up today, I will cancel and reorder. Forgot to mention, package was ordered and shipped by AMAZON, not a third party. As of 8:00 AM this morning tracking hasn't changed from Tuesday night, though Amazon says it being delivered today. We will see?
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-17-2022 at 8:28 AM.

So maybe someone clicked the wrong line in a drop down box list of reasons for the late delivery? What % of your Amazon orders have had issues? Seems like a lot of moaning over what could be a rare simple mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    What % of your Amazon orders have had issues? Seems like a lot of moaning over what could be a rare simple mistake.
    Close to 50% of my orders are late or lost in transit. Last spring, a flooring stapler shipped from Amazon facility that is about 26 miles from my house took a week and half to make it here. When tracking shows an order at local facility (approx 20 miles away,) and it takes as much as much as two weeks to get to my house, there is a problem. I take their ESTIMATED delivery date with a LARGE GRAIN of SALT! Ebay orders are a different story. As of four PM today, tracking shows no different than on Tuesday night, despite message showing package to be delivered today.

Wow, glad I don't have your experience, as I said a few orders a year have an issue and Amazon has always sorted it out to my satisfaction.

I must be charmed when it comes to Amazon. I could count on one hand how many times I have had an issue with a delivery and I place about one order per week with them.

The biggest issue I had was in 2021 when I urgently needed a new inverter for my motorhome as it went out less than 10 days before a big trip. I ordered an inverter from Amazon and it shipped out right away. A day or two later I got an email that the inverter was damaged in transit and was being returned to Amazon. I had to place a new order. I was leaving Tuesday and Amazon said they would deliver Saturday. Amazon didn't ship it until Friday or Saturday so delivery got pushed out to Monday. They shipped it USPS for some reason and I missed the mail person by about ten minutes. He didn't leave it because it was pouring rain. I drove around and finally found him and got my inverter. No, nobody local had the style of inverter I needed in stock.

I've definitely seen an uptick in transportation delays. At least 20% of shipments. Maybe more.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Today, got the message that I could cancel and receive refund. Checked the block EIGHT Times, only to be rerouted to EXACT SAME SCREEN. Finally went to order details and canceled it there. Reordered item, checked FREE Delivery, but upon check out, $5.99 shipping charge appears, with delivery on Monday rather than Friday. Amazon need to get it's act together, they are not too big to fail. Think, Sears, K-Mart, Montgomery Wards, Penn Central RR, Enron.