Thread: Hand Tool Headquarters of the Midwest

Hand Tool Headquarters of the Midwest

Last week reading Christopher Schwarz Blog on Popular Woodworking dot com about the "Hand Tool Headquarters of the Midwest" located in Millersburg Ohio.
    I just happen to be visiting the area this past week and stopped in for a look. Yep! he does have about anything you want. His prices seemed to be spot on what one would pay at full retail. Some things seemed high to me but admit I don't know all the differences on what makes one tool pricier over another.
    I visit the area once or twice a year (and drive past it) and never knew he was located there. You would never know it was a tool shop

I had to laugh. When I walked in I said I read about him on Christopher Schwarz Blog. His response "Another one of those" LOL!!!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    If you do not ask, you do not get. One thing common among second hand dealers is people asking for a discount. In some places it is so much a part of business the prices are at full retail to allow for discounts so people feel like they are getting a deal.

You will find it surprising how often one can work a deal with a seller even in an antique mall. Often after asking for a discount the counter person will make a phone call to see if they can come down on the price.

Some times they will want you to pay cash so there isn't a credit card fee. Others might run a discount if you buy a few items.

Some will lower prices on an item if it has been collecting dust for a while.

Be polite, be reasonable, be willing to walk away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One time I looked at a drawknife at tool swap meet for $10 and planned to buy it. When I told the seller I was going to use it on a chair I was making he said the price for someone planning to use it is $5. You might ask for the "user" price vs. the "collector" price to see if there is a difference.

Yes, I'm sure a discount could be had. When you see hand planes priced at $110 a good bet $100 would get it out the door.
    Hard to believe but I walked out without buying anything. I have so many hand tools now I need to step back and look at what I do and do not have.
    But like I said above, If I ever find a need for something this is the place to go.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Yes, I'm sure a discount could be had. When you see hand planes priced at $110 a good bet $100 would get it out the door.
    There are not too many standard hand planes worth $100 as a user. A #1 or #2 at that price is a steal.

My most expensive Stanley/Bailey bench plane, other than a #2, is a #8 at $50. My second most expensive bench plane is a #8 that cost $5. It had a broken frog that cost my about $35 to replace.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are not too many standard hand planes worth $100 as a user. A #1 or #2 at that price is a steal.

My most expensive Stanley/Bailey bench plane, other than a #2, is a #8 at $50. My second most expensive bench plane is a #8 that cost $5. It had a broken frog that cost my about $35 to replace.

jtk

Stanley scrub plane was priced at $110
    - Rick Dale

On your way to that place...there is another...."corner" of I-70 and US 40....South East corner of Springfield,OH.....called Heart of Ohio....plan for a full day, just to walk through the place...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Stanley scrub plane was priced at $110
    That is about $70 more than mine cost at an antique store. Not sure of he cost since it was priced at $40 and bundled with a bunch of other stuff and the guy gave me a price cut on the total. Mine was priced low to start. On ebay they seem to going for something between $50 and $80.

My guess is they are used to people wanting a bargain and set their prices so even the hired help can haggle a bit.

This is why if one is even thinking of buying used tools it is important to research price trends with ebay and other sites.

Here are some prices from Patrick Leach's September tool list:
    (these descriptions have been edited)

#3 smoothing plane; a ca.1930 example $90.00

#4 1/2 oversize smoothing plane; an extra heavy UK made
    model $95.00

#4 1/2C corrugated smoothing plane; a type 11 $125.00

#6 fore plane; thicker WWII casting for more mass that
    aids planing $110.00

#5 1/4 junior jack plane; WWII production with stained
    hardwood knob and tote, frog adjusting screw $60.00
    Of course he has some priced higher. Mr. Leach is known for his full retail pricing. My guess is most of these are likely already sold.

All three of my #3 sized planes put together cost me less than $90. Both of my #6s together cost me less than $110. Of course that was at a time when people were paying attention to Mr. Leach's opinion about them being a useless size. In my opinion, if it can take a controllable shaving, it is useful.

jtk