Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoothing cherry

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    A scraper that does not get much love, but is extremely effective, is a Stanley 82 or even the 83.
    I don't get why the blue Stanley scraper I posted earlier is so unknown with woodworkers. I literally don't know of any other furniture maker who uses it on wood (it's actually meant to be used as a glass scraper). My father introduced me to it when I was 14 or 15 years old and I've been using it ever since. It's also a wonderful tool for removing glue squeeze out in corners without damaging the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I don't get why the blue Stanley scraper I posted earlier is so unknown with woodworkers. I literally don't know of any other furniture maker who uses it on wood (it's actually meant to be used as a glass scraper). My father introduced me to it when I was 14 or 15 years old and I've been using it ever since. It's also a wonderful tool for removing glue squeeze out in corners without damaging the sides.
    I have one that is unmarked, black plastic, and it works well on glue, glass, etc., however a minor issue I have with it, is the blade is square across and can dig in at its corners with a bit of inattention. The Stanleys I mentioned, you can removed the blade and sharpen the scraper blade with a radius. But the downside is the radius negates its use for glue squeeze outs in corners!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Sharp hand plane, pick the size that works for you and do it! #3 to #7 would get the job done in my shop, just gotta be sharp!

Dont' use a paint scraper it will leave track marks.

5. I had an old 30mm Stanley chisel lying around so I removed the bevel and ground a square edge on it. The blunt chisel technique is definitely a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I had an old 30mm Stanley chisel lying around so I removed the bevel and ground a square edge on it. The blunt chisel technique is definitely a keeper.
    I have three glued up panels that came out of clamps late today (quartersawn white oak). As usually happens, joints always need a bit of work. What I tried, and what worked superbly and quickly, was a 1-1/4" wide long paring chisel. I did not grind off the bevel, but holding the chisel nearly vertical, pulled it towards me.

I think there are many ways to skin this cat!

IMG_5579 (640x480).jpg
    May give this a tryout, next time around..
    patent date.jpg
    Yep, even has a patent date...sharpening?
    test drive.jpg
    Is still a work in progress....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    IMG_5579 (640x480).jpg
    May give this a tryout, next time around..
    patent date.jpg
    Yep, even has a patent date...sharpening?
    test drive.jpg
    Is still a work in progress....
    Stanley scraper that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Works well, prepare the blade as you would a card scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Dont' use a paint scraper it will leave track marks.
    Not if you put a slight camber on the blade. I should know, I've been using the blue Stanley scraper since I was 15 years old.