Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be nuts? Another miter box.....

I must be nuts? Another miter box.....

I already have three good Stanley Miter boxes and a Marsh picture frame unit, plus a fourth for spare parts but I came across this MF Langdon box and for $50 couldn't resist it. It needs a good cleaning up, it's a bit rusty in parts, certainly not pristine condition but it is fully functional and the saw is very sharp which makes a change. Only missing part is one of the small screw on knobs for the spring plunger to release one of the posts.

IMG-1487.jpg

IMG-1489.jpg

I'm with you,Ken. I think it goes back to childhood memories of wanting to try one out and not being allowed to get within
    ten feet of one. Some time back I posted they were treated like the Ark of the Covennant. Real high tech wizardry

I used the one I bought new in 1974 a couple of weeks ago to put up some crown molding in a house we didn't want to sling sawdust in, or drag in big tools. One good thing about them is that they don't make much mess to have to clean up.

Can't help laugh as I read this - I have 3 Langdons of different vintage - also a Marsh Picture Frame box (actually Stanley) that's as new bought from the original owner.

I use them regularly

Still trying to find the wooden ruler for the picture frame box - the owner put it out on his porch for me to pick up and someone stole the ruler

Sorry for the tangent, but are these rare in California or something? Around here, they practically give the things away. I have two Millers Falls (I think- one is buried under stuff at the moment), a Craftsman clone, and one other without marking, and didn't pay more than $10 for any of them. The Craftsman with saw was $1 at an auction last month.

Mike,

It varies. People seem to ask more for the Langdons than the Stanleys, I've seen them at $10 but pretty rough. Usually $50 is the going rate, but then gas is over $4 a gallon here. The bay area is tops for expense and taxes. When I retire I may be moving.
    BTW, your location is not obvious, where are you?

John, How many planes and braces do you have? LOL......
    Tom, Mel.
    Yep, I agree!

I don't give out my location. Somebody made up lies about me and got me banned from a Reddit sub, I don't want someone making up something and finding my employer. Plus, why invite competition to cheap auctions. :-)

Here's the way I set it up for cutting crown molding. A wooden " extra fence" clamped into place, so the spacing for the cut is the same for every piece, and a piece of 1/4" plywood on the deck between the fences to keep from cutting the wooden fence all the way through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken carroll View Post
    I already have three good Stanley Miter boxes and a Marsh picture frame unit, plus a fourth for spare parts but I came across this MF Langdon box and for $50 couldn't resist it. It needs a good cleaning up, it's a bit rusty in parts, certainly not pristine condition but it is fully functional and the saw is very sharp which makes a change. Only missing part is one of the small screw on knobs for the spring plunger to release one of the posts.

IMG-1487.jpg

IMG-1489.jpg
    Better triple that number and add a couple more for good measure, then you equal mine (the complete ones, and not the extras). Why? Because they were numerous and dirt cheap here in north central Pennsyltucky! $5, $10 or $20 at the most, including my Stanley Marsh, and the tiniest Langdon. I even bought one from an Amish man, who said why cut by hand when I can use power when off the farm!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Ken,

My planes are under control - have reduced to the ones I use - about 10

A little weekness for plow planes

Still need a 6" swing brace - 8, 10, 12 on the wall

Miter boxes are my weakness - but I use them - great to cut wood at 3 am and not bother anyone - Makita Slider under the house somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's the way I set it up for cutting crown molding. A wooden " extra fence" clamped into place, so the spacing for the cut is the same for every piece, and a piece of 1/4" plywood on the deck between the fences to keep from cutting the wooden fence all the way through.
    Tom, You don't like the method shown in the Langdon manual where they reverse the end brackets and use them to support the crown molding?

Not as much as the way I do it. Mine works better for small pieces, so might as well just set it up once. A spacer block cut the right length to use as a gauge to set the wooden fence with makes it a quick setup, and very easy to hold the crown molding in place correctly.

In California, but lucky: never paid over $15 for one with a saw. Current count is, I think, four (plus a Stanley 150, purchased because people were raving about them here or somewhere on a recent thread; $10 at the ReStore, although it came without a saw).

I like them for cutting trim (molding) because we live in an 1895 house, with a lot of mitered returns on the head molding over windows and doors. When you cut a two-inch long piece of molding on a chopsaw, the saw often throws it into an alternate universe unless you do fancy things with masking tape to keep it nearby. On a miter box, it just falls over and sits there.

Blog Entries
    Would appreciate any advice about what miter box make/model I need for for saw with 28" long saw plate x 5" under back width ?
    Thanks , Mike

Stanley No. 358 would do nicely, or...Langdon No. 74