Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative approach to cutting tenons

Blog Entries

Alternative approach to cutting tenons

I don’t own a table saw, and secretly hate referencing square off of the end grain. These cuts were ultra-critical so I decided to use the knee mill.

Instead, the vise is indexed off of the mill and head trammed square. Can’t get much more square then this.

https://youtu.be/6vp1Gb7QvCQ
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Overkill Brian? What will you do for Ultra-Ultra Critical cuts when that need arises?
    David

Brian
    Do you have any idea how many jigs and fixtures manufacturers you could put out of business???
    All kidding aside, that's pretty cool.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-08-2018 at 7:48 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

You should be lubricating that cut ...
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

Bill, that’s a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Overkill Brian? What will you do for Ultra-Ultra Critical cuts when that need arises?
    Actually for Brian that may be underkill. You should check out his video of the piston fit inserts in a caddy he made to house dirt balls*. It is on his youtube channel.

* no offense intended to the skill it takes to make those fine dirtballs, calling them dirtballs instead of dorodango produced more impact in my sentence.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Brian you’re the man! I use my Bridgeport now and then for woodworking. Some people wonder how I made certain cuts so precise. You forgot to show how you left a 0.0625” radius fillet in the corner for strength and used a Micrometre to leave .001 for glue tolerance. lol.

Edit; I do love how you added a lightening hole to your set up block. Your set up block is wood right???
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-08-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Haha, they are neat balls if dirt, aren’t they?

Glad that you guys enjoyed this bit of craziness. I’ve been on a Bridgeport binge lately as it makes certainly chair related cuts very easy (like angled round mortises) and thin bridle joints.

I dragged home a rotary table for it and spent the evening cleaning it up and putting it back into working order. It had a nice chuck on it as well that was also rusted to hell, so I cleaned that up as too.

I’ll take some video of the work I do with it, which will also be chair related.

Geeze. And here I thought you were a Neanderthal.

Are you going to be cutting tenons with lasers guided from space next?

If I were you, I would buy a table saw just for the street cred.

Blog Entries
    Matt, it’s oak, hehe, not quite aluminum, brass or steel but it works in a pinch

I set it up as a stop, so the hole is for a bolt that goes through to a t-nut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Geeze. And here I thought you were a Neanderthal.

Are you going to be cutting tenons with lasers guided from space next?

If I were you, I would buy a table saw just for the street cred.
    Both, I decided at some point last year that I needed to add good machinery and basically use all of the tools available to me; hand and machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Matt, it’s oak, hehe, not quite aluminum, brass or steel but it works in a pinch

I set it up as a stop, so the hole is for a bolt that goes through to a t-nut.
    I look forward to your future videos, especially if your surface grinding , Cyl grinding or jig grinding wood (or wire/sink EDM) more lol.

Cool video. All I kept thinking was I sure hope there is no way that blade could come off. Don’t know why that would worry me more than a table saw arbor but that’s what my head went to first. LOL

Blog Entries
    Hah! Given the current technology maybe a wire edm for wood isn’t far off, lol.

I might setup a few blades on a single arbor for cutting double tenons on stuff I do all the time (like chairs).