Thread: Help with casing ideas

Help with casing ideas

I would like to improve the look of these windows by somehow trimming or casing. Casing seems possible, but I do not know how to deal with brick sill. Ideas?

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those horizontal panes are not seen much on new stuff. Is that early 1950s? I think we need to see the whole side.
    The new look must make sense with the rest of the house.

ok, here are more pics. these are modern windows. double pane, insulated, double hung. Sorry for rotation
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your windows look to be properly installed with a sloped sill and any wood you add will have a shorter life than what you have now.

Maybe change the paint scheme and/or add window boxes or a bench below.

Agree with Bradley. The windows are unusual while the white with brick is a conventional standard. I would paint the sash
    and frames the same color as the brick as a unifying step. I think the concrete should be colored ,or tiled,or something.

Trim out the top and sides with timber and render and/or paint the sills. This gives you a bit more substance to the framing ad deals with the water at sill level. Keep the white. It is a timeless style with the brickwork. Cheers

That is how windows on a brick house are done. I have had a brick house, my in-laws had a brick house, and my son has one now and the windows were done exactly like that. Every brick house I have seen has windows done exactly like that.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 09-08-2018 at 1:51 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I don't know about painting anything. But part of my motivation is that a clear silicone sealant was used. Over the years, black stuff has gotten stuck in it and it looks bad. Can I apply a white sealant over that?

I would remove it or at least as much as possible.
    George

Blog Entries
    Windows look like standard builder grade 30-36 x 72, my house is full of them. You could always stick non functional undersized shutters on either side... seems like a very popular option.

I haven't been able to figure it out myself
    20180908_091550.jpg

How does one remove that stuff? Looks like its on forever.

There is silicone caulk remover. It will soften the caulk but it will still be a job to remove it.
    George

Buy this cheap hook and pick set from Home Depot to pull the silicone out with. The silicone will probably come out easier than you might expect. Replace it with Lexel, paint the transition from the window to where you want the line to stop after the crystal clear caulking is completely dry, and leave the rest clear. No one will notice it from 3 feet away. Yes, I've done this before, but can't find a picture.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Pr...004H/302435929 The little ends will come off the handles, but won't matter. I glued mine back on, but can't remember what I used to do it with. That particular use is about all I ever use them for.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-09-2018 at 1:58 PM.

White is ok and traditional.But the windows are pretty odd. Certainly I'm sure that Jared is correct in saying they are a
    standard size. But for years I made standard and custom sized sash and never saw any. I think they are an odd choice for that house.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 09-09-2018 at 3:12 PM. Reason: Confused two set of pics. Sorry