Thread: Finished my two first weeks as an employer.

Finished my two first weeks as an employer.

I landed a big project to make cabinets and closets for a hotel but it's too much work for one person, and since I really didn't want to miss out on this because more work is almost certain in the future, I've hired two furniture makers. I'm an employer for the first time in my life and I have to say, I quite like it. I started my first business when I was 24 and I've always worked alone the past 12 years apart from the occasional collaboration. My workshop certainly is more lively now. If things go well and they wants to stay I think I will continue being an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I landed a big project to make cabinets and closets for a hotel but it's too much work for one person, and since I really didn't want to miss out on this because more work is almost certain in the future, I've hired two furniture makers. I'm an employer for the first time in my life and I have to say, I quite like it. I started my first business when I was 24 and I've always worked alone the past 12 years apart from the occasional collaboration. My workshop certainly is more lively now. If things go well and they wants to stay I think I will continue being an employer.
    Good luck with all the paperwork, or is this cash only?

Cash only for legal employment is impossible anywhere in the EU. My sister is a bookkeeper and she handles everything for me so i don't have to worry about that.

Congrats! Employees can be the best thing that happens, and the worst also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Congrats! Employees can be the best thing that happens, and the worst also.

Sometimes its even the same guy doing both...

Good luck, it's exciting to grow your business!

I treated my employees pretty good when I had them. Everybody knew each others jobs and we switched off I would ask them what job each wanted to do that day and I ended up doing what was left over. later on we each had a job that we were good at and that was were I would put them.

I think one of my employees isn't too happy with my choice of music I don't like the usual "popular" stations so I have Proton Radio on all day long in my shop No talking, just great DJ sets all day long.