Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knowing When NOT To Sell To Someone

Knowing When NOT To Sell To Someone

I've got the DW735 listed on a community website. Some guy wrote me the same day I listed and offered me $100 less than asking. I told him I wanted to wait for a week or so before dropping the price. He wrote back thanking me profusely.

I removed the listing when it looked like purchasing a new JP might go south. He wrote within an hour asking if I had sold it. I explained the situation. He wrote back and said, "Are you selling it or not!?!"

When the new JP purchase was resolved I wrote him and told him I'd be re-listing the planer and he could have it for $50 off asking. He wrote back and said no way. His original offer still stood. I wished him well.

After I listed the planer, he wrote warning "readers" the planer was refurbished (it's not, it's brand new in an unopened box).

Now I'm happy I didn't sell to him. I can just imagine him pounding on my door every time he has a problem.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

This almost seems to be the norm these days with public positing sites like Craigslist. It's like fly paper for creeps and cheats.

Sounds like you were able to avoid the worst of that situation though. There's definitely something to be said about going with your intuition or 'gut instinct'.

Always trust your "radar" when it warns you that something might be amiss. Sometimes, it will be unfounded, but all those times when it is accurate will save you some pain. I just spent about 38 years in mostly sales focused jobs prior to retiring from full time work. Trust me, I learned a long time ago that it's important to know when to "fire the customer".

BTW, I've found that the local sales groups on Facebook are a bit more effective than CL, although there certainly still are wackos out there. At least you're dealing with presumably "real people" with the FB groups...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

New, in an unopened box, and he started off at $100.00 less than asking? I would have just said no and skipped all of the explanations. He probably already had a buyer on the line for it, and was only going to act as a middleman.
    My wife does a lot online buying and tells me of all the scams folks do. Both buyers and sellers. It's kind of sad.

So far, knock on wood, I've been really lucky with Craigslist as a buyer. I also don't mess about with the folks selling the item. If I want it,I want to for me, not to immediately resell it.
    Last thing I purchased was a 1" spindle cartridge for my Delta shaper. I got a lightly used OEM Delta,1" spindle cartridge, in the box, along with a 3/4" spindle for $35.00. total. The gentleman I bought it from said a previous buyer was messing around with him on this item. It was well worth the drive across the state for it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    New, in an unopened box, and he started off at $100.00 less than asking? I would have just said no and skipped all of the explanations. He probably already had a buyer on the line for it, and was only going to act as a middleman.
    The first tell was when he made the offer he said he makes toys for poor kids and didn't have anything more than he offered. Later, when I wouldn't come down to his price, he told me how much it's going to cost him to buy a spiral cutterhead to go with the planer. Guess he must have made a lot making those toys.

I recently ran several items on CL. At least 50% of the responses were idiots or scammers. Listed a pair of tractor tire chains and posted pictures. The first caller offered half price saying he could use them to pull logs without adding hooks. Or the fellow that wanted to know what cc engine was in the electric golf cart.

illo turn it around ive sold machines with no issues but they were pro machines and pros bought them almost site unseen.

Im trying to buy a parts car on Kijiji. I missed the first one and it as the one, Stuff on there now is put up by people from Deliverance. Wife says great car for parts husband said its in weeds and ill have to tow it out to take photos its junk. Her area listed is an hour and half from where the car is, Next one gas two cars as well one shown other one not questions asked been in a field for three years more questions back window punched out iwth a brick so I said I guess then the interior is pouched, "ah yeah I guess so" son put up the ad father doesnt know how to post photos son refuses to take any doesnt like the father., on the positive there is a nice one, i know my stuff I ask six simple questions of my likely 30 and its becomes im going to keep it and replace the inside fenders meanwhile the ad says mostly stored in winters and Krown rustproofed. He was scared away by someone who clearly knows far more than he does. Honestly the farm animals around here are smarter than this group of people. No offense to farm animals.

and back on topic ive sold three or four times with zero issues to people that made a living at this. Ive purchased off craig several times tig welder other stuff no issues so it can work. I never push people about prices sometimes I ask sometimes i just pay, the last I just paid and there is more wrong with it than represented and that was off a forum.

Blog Entries
    Dodged the bullet there. There are people I do not want to deal with no matter how good it sounds. I sure don't want to deal with them when it sounds bad.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The way I sell items, ESPECIALLY if they're coming to my house to pick it up (when it's big and bulky like a table saw), is after intial email/text to agree on a reasonable price, I insist on talking to them on phone. That way I can get a read on them, see if they sound like a woodworker or a creep. I've had nothing but good dealings with home pickups (knock on wood).

I've had a few morons I've met in public places who lowballed me or didn't show up. One guy admitted he was a reseller and basically wanted to buy my reasonably priced tool for 50% less so he could turn around and sell it again for a profit.

Good riddance to him. You gave him more of your time than he was worth already. With his low ball price no thank you would be sufficient. Sounds like he was trying to scam you. He's just upset that you didn't play his game. Good luck.

Good on ya Julie. I had a tool listed one time and someone phoned and offered $100 lower. I countered with $50 higher! Never heard from him again.

I listed some tires and rims for my daughter with a good price and said in the ad that if they come back as a low-baller, I wouldn't even respond. There were a few that I didn't respond to. And if they keep trying, I just keep raising the price.

Haven't got much time for most of them.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Good call. I typically sell for a little less than I should and include a statement like, “Price is firm but priced to sell.” When someone shows up and wants to low ball it, I knock just a little off the price, so they feel like they got a deal, and say I have 12 more people interested in it. Never had anybody walk away and I am done with burdensome process of selling something on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Good call. I typically sell for a little less than I should and include a statement like, “Price is firm but priced to sell.” When someone shows up and wants to low ball it, I knock just a little off the price, so they feel like they got a deal, and say I have 12 more people interested in it. Never had anybody walk away and I am done with burdensome process of selling something on Craigslist.
    I've never come down on price and just one person (out of maybe 150) has walked away.
    I ask a fair price (obviously I have reduced my asking price on stuff that isn't selling) and don't negotiate. But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Several time people have paid me too much because they didn't have the right currency and didn't want to wait for me to try to find change. That has really bothered me. Not sure why....

The first listing was on a website called Nextdoor. It only reaches the immediately surrounding area. Today I listed it on Craigslist. This is the first time doing anything on CL. About an hour after I posted the listing I got a reply asking if it had been sold or not and how much I wanted for it. The amount is listed on CL so I didn't get why that was asked. The person also said they don't check CL mail so to please use the email provided.

Anyway, I responded through the email provided saying the planer was still available. This reply came from a different email than the one I initially responded to:

Thanks for the prompt response to my email. I am so happy that the item is still available, I am very serious in buying from you, I would have come down to your location but I always have a busy hours at work, Please let me know if a Certified Cashiers Check is okay, My pick up will be after you have your money cleared up. The check will be mail out to you today via UPS Service and it will deliver to you within 48hrs, I will make arrangement for the pick up as soon as the check clears. Hope I can trust you with the check payment?

I will make arrangement for pick-up . So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Phone Number:
    Last Asking price..

I will make arrangements for pick up as soon as you have your money, I will add an additional $20 for holding it for me. Please consider it sold.

Thank you , hope to read back from you soon

This whole thing seems fishy. If they can go to the bank to get a cashier's check, they can come here with cash. What do you think?

Anything slightly suspicious on Craigslist I stay away from.

Just about every time I post on Craigslist I get some scam artist or fisher from what I’m told by Craigslist normally from some far away country.

It’s pretty easy imop after selling tons of stuff on Craigslist ebay or Internet forums when someone is a con artist and or just gonna be a pita!