Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knowing When NOT To Sell To Someone

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The first listing was on a website called Nextdoor. It only reaches the immediately surrounding area. Today I listed it on Craigslist. This is the first time doing anything on CL. About an hour after I posted the listing I got a reply asking if it had been sold or not and how much I wanted for it. The amount is listed on CL so I didn't get why that was asked. The person also said they don't check CL mail so to please use the email provided.

Anyway, I responded through the email provided saying the planer was still available. This reply came from a different email than the one I initially responded to:

Thanks for the prompt response to my email. I am so happy that the item is still available, I am very serious in buying from you, I would have come down to your location but I always have a busy hours at work, Please let me know if a Certified Cashiers Check is okay, My pick up will be after you have your money cleared up. The check will be mail out to you today via UPS Service and it will deliver to you within 48hrs, I will make arrangement for the pick up as soon as the check clears. Hope I can trust you with the check payment?

I will make arrangement for pick-up . So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Phone Number:
    Last Asking price..

I will make arrangements for pick up as soon as you have your money, I will add an additional $20 for holding it for me. Please consider it sold.

Thank you , hope to read back from you soon

This whole thing seems fishy. If they can go to the bank to get a cashier's check, they can come here with cash. What do you think?
    I'd stay away from that one myself.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I'd stay away from that one myself.
    Ignore it or respond with when you have the cash, we'll set up a place to meet. My SO suggested meeting at the local PD.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I believe this is a classic CL scam. The cashiers check is a forgery and the bank can take your money back even after they cash it for you. By then the guy is gone. The reason you got targeted was the NIB part. Super easy to resell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I believe this is a classic CL scam. The cashiers check is a forgery and the bank can take your money back even after they cash it for you. By then the guy is gone. The reason you got targeted was the NIB part. Super easy to resell.
    And profitable at any price if they got it free through a scam.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was thinking of responding giving my address as that of the local police department.

The first listing was on a website called Nextdoor. It only reaches the immediately surrounding area. Today I listed it on Craigslist. This is the first time doing anything on CL. About an hour after I posted the listing I got a reply asking if it had been sold or not and how much I wanted for it. The amount is listed on CL so I didn't get why that was asked. The person also said they don't check CL mail so to please use the email provided.

Anyway, I responded through the email provided saying the planer was still available. This reply came from a different email than the one I initially responded to:

Thanks for the prompt response to my email. I am so happy that the item is still available, I am very serious in buying from you, I would have come down to your location but I always have a busy hours at work, Please let me know if a Certified Cashiers Check is okay, My pick up will be after you have your money cleared up. The check will be mail out to you today via UPS Service and it will deliver to you within 48hrs, I will make arrangement for the pick up as soon as the check clears. Hope I can trust you with the check payment?

I will make arrangement for pick-up . So get back to me with below details asap.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Phone Number:
    Last Asking price..

I will make arrangements for pick up as soon as you have your money, I will add an additional $20 for holding it for me. Please consider it sold.

This whole thing seems fishy. If they can go to the bank to get a cashier's check, they can come here with cash. What do you think?
    That's a well known scam. I reply to them that the only payment accepted is cash. If they can't do cash, then go away. Some will say that they will pay with PayPal. Same answer - cash or nothing.

One other comment. When you list on Craigslist it's generally accepted that serious buyers may negotiate with you. Don't take that as a negative. I price a bit higher than I expect to get to allow for negotiation - and sometimes a person shows up and pays the full amount.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Phone Number:
    Last Asking price..

CLASSIC Scam. DO NOT ACCEPT THAT "CASHIERS" CHECK. It will be fake and quite often written for more than you are asking.

Best practice is "local only" and "cash only", my friend...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When list on cl if the initial response not list item am selling goes in the deleted file. My wife had co worker get one of them checks and was told at work it's a scam. She went to three different banks to try to cash the check before she was convinced not to cash it and send the seller some money back....

Many of those scam cheeks are so good the bank will cash it and put money in your account. They usually pay more then the asked for price and ask you to give the overage, in cash, to the person picking it up. It will take over one month for the bank to take back the money from your account. By then the buyer is long gone.
    Many police departments have set up a corner in their parking lot, under street light, with CCTV recording 24/7 for folks to meet and exchange their purchases from online. Having their faces and license plates in the police data banks reduces scammers. Check with your city police or sheriff to see if they are doing this yet.
    Bil lD.

Definitely a scam! The first thing was asking you to use a non CL contact email. That in itself would cause me to ignore them. I hope you have a "throw away" email address you responded with. Otherwise you will probably start getting bombarded with spam.

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Postal Code:
    Phone Number:
    Last Asking price..

as many have mentioned it is a classic scam on CL and other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Many police departments have set up a corner in their parking lot, under street light, with CCTV recording 24/7 for folks to meet and exchange their purchases from online. Having their faces and license plates in the police data banks reduces scammers. Check with your city police or sheriff to see if they are doing this yet.
    Bill D.
    Bill, I had no idea anything like what you described exists. I was thinking of calling the PD to see if they would want to participate in a sting. But then I had to ask myself if I wanted to get involved in something like this. And even if I offered to meet at the local PD for the exchange, what are the odds they would show?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Definitely a scam! The first thing was asking you to use a non CL contact email. That in itself would cause me to ignore them. I hope you have a "throw away" email address you responded with. Otherwise you will probably start getting bombarded with spam.
    This was running through my mind when I replied. I guess I'll know shortly if I need to create a new email.

I had this scam happen to me. I was in a tither for a couple of days about whether I should sell to the scammer as I was not aware of the scam.
    When I found out about the scam online, I went through with the sale. When the check for the boat I was selling arrived I took it to my bank, and they surely would have cashed it as it looked quite authentic.
    I had read online that it really ticked off the scammers when they sent out a check and nothing happened because they sent it by certified mail and paid that cost..
    About 4 days later I got a call from the scammer on the phone asking if I had cashed his check yet. I told him I had not gotten to it yet. A few days after that he called again with a threatening voice and said," You have my check!", and it sounded like he was trying to scare me..
    I told him if he wanted his check back he could come to my home and get it, in not very polite words I might add. I keep the check as a reminder of the things that happen to a lot of the nice people in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I had this scam happen to me. I was in a tither for a couple of days about whether I should sell to the scammer as I was not aware of the scam.
    When I found out about the scam online, I went through with the sale. When the check for the boat I was selling arrived I took it to my bank, and they surely would have cashed it as it looked quite authentic.
    I had read online that it really ticked off the scammers when they sent out a check and nothing happened because they sent it by certified mail and paid that cost..
    About 4 days later I got a call from the scammer on the phone asking if I had cashed his check yet. I told him I had not gotten to it yet. A few days after that he called again with a threatening voice and said," You have my check!", and it sounded like he was trying to scare me..
    I told him if he wanted his check back he could come to my home and get it, in not very polite words I might add. I keep the check as a reminder of the things that happen to a lot of the nice people in the world.
    But you still had your boat - right?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes I still Have my boat Frederick. The delivery people never showed up for the boat. I would not have let them have it if they did. Their check never would have put money into my bank account had I cashed it. I did sell the boat a few weeks later.
    Last edited by michael langman; 09-10-2018 at 9:30 PM.