Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortise chisels, what’s your favorite

Mortise chisels, what’s your favorite

So if you could request one mortise chisel free of charge, what would it be?
    Vintage English style? Aka the pig sticker
    LN sash mortise?
    Veritas’ new design?
    Ray Iles’ English style?
    Narex?
    You don’t need no stinkin’ mortise chisel?

Blog Entries
    We only get to choose one? :-) I have the Lie-Nielsens, and they are excellent. My one issue is that socket chisel handles do tend to work free from the socket. This is a rare occurrence, but it's something to note. I really like the Veritas mortise chisels. I like that they have a metal ring around the top- I'd feel comfortable banging on those with a heavy mallet. I have their butt chisels, and they are very well made. I would be torn between those and the pig stickers. You really can't beat pig stickers as far as durability.

Blog Entries
    Why not buy one chisel that appeals to you and use for while. Then you will know what to buy.
    I have a leather chisel roll with chisels in it. Most are Lie-Nielsens.

Love my Sorby heavy duty sash mortise chisel. My two cherries is nice. Narex get the job done with frequent sharpenings, but just look & feel economy.

Blog Entries
    My favorites are the pig stickers.

Good steel with a good heft does a good job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I have to make a mortise by hand, I usually drill out the majority of the waste and then trim up with standard bench chisels. But if I had to chop one out by hand, I'd use a pigsticker and a Ward brand pigsticker. I have a set of Ward pigstickers.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My Dutchies! Mostly because these are what I have, and they work very well. Nooitgedagt, from somewhere before WW2, or 1, or the Pruisian wars, or whatever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR2pKK7g...y=keesonmaking

If I were purchasing new, the Veritas. I have them in 1/4" and 3/8", and they are very well made and thought out. If new but on a budget, the Narex are actually quite good too, so long as you sharpen often (and they sharpen easier) - I had those first, and can't bring myself to sell them as they were so well priced to begin with, I'd much rather hold on to them for rougher tasks. I've cut off the bottom bolster and plan to reshape the handles as they are rather unappealing.

I did go overboard and order a whole bunch of pigstickers from eBay a couple years ago, mostly Ward. I think it's 12 chisels, ranging from 1/8" to a 5/8" monster. There is a real beauty and charm to the shape of these old chisels, and they are very well designed for their use.

I've seen the LN ones, and find them a bit odd - they don't look as hefty as the others (I'm sure they're hefty enough) and I can't wrap my head around a socket mortise chisel for some reason. The Robert Sorby ones look rather ugly to me. The Ray Iles have intrigued me, as I like the thought of a modern pigsticker, but my two Veritas do most of what I need.

So long story short - any mortise chisel will likely work just fine. Depends on budget, aesthetic and in possibly choice of steel.

Ray Iles. I have a 1/4" and 1/2". If I ever need another (unlikely), I'll stick with Ray Iles.

Vintage, selected from a vintage market for £2.00 (last weekend, 1/4"), I'd then spend the money I saved on timber or a few beers.

Whichever one I have..that fits the job I am going to do..
    Mortise chisels 1.jpg

I have a 1/4, 3/8 LN. I believe these are sash mortise chisels. This suits my style better. I only do smaller mortises by hand, and rather prefer the relative daintiness of these socketed chisels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have a 1/4, 3/8 LN. I believe these are sash mortise chisels. This suits my style better. I only do smaller mortises by hand, and rather prefer the relative daintiness of these socketed chisels.
    I have those same chisels and also six bevel edge chisels.

I've bought a few different ones over the years, but my personal favorites are still the first new ones I bought in the early '70's. I like the Ulmia's, and maybe because those were what I became most used to, I never really liked shorter ones, like pigstickers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ray Isles pigstickers all day long. Beautifully executed & stay sharp forever.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---