Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Oneida "muffler"

New Oneida "muffler"

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...-4D6E6324DF13}

I saw these at IWF and while hard to judge in the high ambient noise of IWF I am pretty sure it makes a solid difference. They say 6-7dB @ 10 feet. This means a reduction of sound energy to 1/4 (or slightly more) of what it would be without the muffler, note human perception of sound doesn't quite work that way, we here a 10dB reduction/increase as halving or doubling the "volume".

The pictures on the site (not link friendly) shows a simple cylinder lined with "egg crate" acoustical foam. For the price (170-200 depending on the size) someone could build something using Sonotube for much cheaper. There are also sound absorbing materials much more effective than simple egg crate that could produce an even larger drop. But it is a simple, seemingly effective, solution for those not interested in playing with tubes and getting them to seal.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Looks interesting. I had a steel V3000 in my last shop and could have used this. My understanding is that the newer conductive composite cyclones are even quieter so I'm anxious to hear about one of those refitted with the new muffler.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Looks interesting. I had a steel V3000 in my last shop and could have used this. My understanding is that the newer conductive composite cyclones are even quieter so I'm anxious to hear about one of those refitted with the new muffler.
    They had it installed on a (metal) Dust Gorilla Pro. I had to get right up to it to know it was on, however, anyone that has ever been to IWF knows your ears are being constantly assaulted by dust collection systems some literally the size of a town homes so it was impossible to gauge how loud it actually was.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I saw it at the show as well and agree it was hard to tell it's effectiveness in that environment. Our issues with it are twofold. First, we have 3 filters so we're looking at $600 for unknown results. Second, they lower the cartridge filters and add one more set of connections where the seals must be maintained. And although they say there is no maintenance, they don't say what happens when your dust bin overflows and fills them up.

We are now looking into a sound curtain in front of the DC. Price will be about double, but the results look more promising since they are not in the DC system whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I saw it at the show as well and agree it was hard to tell it's effectiveness in that environment. Our issues with it are twofold. First, we have 3 filters so we're looking at $600 for unknown results. Second, they lower the cartridge filters and add one more set of connections where the seals must be maintained. And although they say there is no maintenance, they don't say what happens when your dust bin overflows and fills them up.

We are now looking into a sound curtain in front of the DC. Price will be about double, but the results look more promising since they are not in the DC system whatsoever.
    The overfilling the dust bin would not impact the efficacy of the foam, just blow it out and it would be fine.

Depending on how tall your ceiling is you could just build a lightweight "shoji screen" with about 6" of Owens Corning or Roxul Safe n Sound insulation on the side facing the DC and likely get as good if not better results than a sound curtain. If you link me to the actual curtain I can give you an idea. You could also build the sides of the screen in stationary and then put the front section hanging on trolleys running on Unistrut so you could simply slide it over and have complete access to the front of the DC and just slide it back in place when finished dumping. This system would be FAR cheaper than what you are quoting for a sound curtain.

Edit for the rolling trolley section if the inlet comes in from the front you would just have to build the upper part stationary and have the section below it roll but that would have the Unistrut sticking out to the side in "free space". It would be no issue to brace it from the ceiling but it might interfere with other things in the shop.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 09-06-2018 at 8:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    some literally the size of a town homes
    That made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That made me chuckle

Was it my lack of article/noun agreement or the idea of a silver metal townhome sized Hoover erected on the floor of the World Congress Center?

If it was the latter I can't remember the company name but there was a humongous one this year at least 30ft tall with multiple Norfab ducts each the size of the tube slide at McDonald's Playland going into it. I could retire on the value of the Norfab ducting in that place alone. I keep forgetting to take my Dylos particulate meter but I am convinced it is the cleanest air in Atlanta for 3.5 days a year. The scale of the machines just keeps growing, I am expecting to show up and they just have a hopper of melamine and a hopper of woodchips on one end of a machine and Ikea cabinets popping out of the other boxed and ready for sale. But the DC is not what intrigues me most about IWF but it is the Amish. This year the highlight was an Amish priest in full regalia running a board over a Martin T54 jointer. My view of the Amish is so 19th century, or maybe he was a progressive Mennonite either way he has good taste in machines.

Saw these when they sent the email out announcing them (not in person) and honestly couldnt figure out why I would want one. Every tool in the shop is loud and any one of them will be running while I have my dust collector running and if anything is running Im wearing hearing protection. So why would I need my dust collector to be any quieter?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Saw these when they sent the email out announcing them (not in person) and honestly couldnt figure out why I would want one. Every tool in the shop is loud and any one of them will be running while I have my dust collector running and if anything is running Im wearing hearing protection. So why would I need my dust collector to be any quieter?

Some people have noise pollution issues, whether with neighbors or their own family. Some run DCs as ambient dust control. Multi-operator shops have more complex issues especially with larger shops, someone may be running a loud machine on the other side of a fire partition but the DC is running in the area away from that machine. It also depends on the machine you are using, all my sanders, bandsaws and drill press, for example, are quiet enough not to cause hearing damage especially when I don't use them for 8 hours a day. Aural feedback is particularly important to me when using a bandsaw and muffs take that away from me.

For some people DC noise is a complete non-issue but for various reasons, others find it important to varying degrees. I imagine some SOs even ones normally Scrooge-like when it comes to tool purchases would be happy to green light these for an attached garage.

Blog Entries
    They had it installed on a (metal) Dust Gorilla Pro. I had to get right up to it to know it was on, however, anyone that has ever been to IWF knows your ears are being constantly assaulted by dust collection systems some literally the size of a town homes so it was impossible to gauge how loud it actually was.
    I wired up a dust collector that had 2 50HP motors plus 10 smaller (3HP?) regen motors in the bag house. And it was the size of a small townhouse. Sure sucked the juice on startup!

I have a V5000 & it's pretty quiet as is, so I wouldn't be interested is spending that much to make it a little quieter. Oh wait, I already spent waaayy more than that building a sound proof room for it & the compressor. But it is nice to have it that quiet.

I had sometime similar from them back with my original 1.5hp Oneida cyclone system. I don't recall at this point just how effective it was or not...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

... a reduction of sound energy to 1/4 (or slightly more) of what it would be without the muffler
    When researching this years ago, I found people on the ClearVue forum who experimented and documented the tremendous sound reduction from muffling the cyclone output duct, apparently the source of much of the noise in an open space. What's better, if possible, is enclosing the entire cyclone in a sound-insulated closet. Or maybe do both. Mine's in a closet and I can hear a whispered conversation outside the closet wall. The most sound comes from air rushing through the collection nozzles and ducts at the machines.

Was it my lack of article/noun agreement or the idea of a silver metal townhome sized Hoover erected on the floor of the World Congress Center?

If it was the latter I can't remember the company name but there was a humongous one this year at least 30ft tall with multiple Norfab ducts each the size of the tube slide at McDonald's Playland going into it. I could retire on the value of the Norfab ducting in that place alone. I keep forgetting to take my Dylos particulate meter but I am convinced it is the cleanest air in Atlanta for 3.5 days a year. The scale of the machines just keeps growing, I am expecting to show up and they just have a hopper of melamine and a hopper of woodchips on one end of a machine and Ikea cabinets popping out of the other boxed and ready for sale. But the DC is not what intrigues me most about IWF but it is the Amish. This year the highlight was an Amish priest in full regalia running a board over a Martin T54 jointer. My view of the Amish is so 19th century, or maybe he was a progressive Mennonite either way he has good taste in machines.
    I don't think the Amish have regalia - maybe an Eastern Orthodox priest?

The idea of a anything other than a medium sized dust collector at iwf seems not worth the effort to me the more I think about it

Couple of DIY suggestions... These were developed by Bill Pentz and put into service on my cyclone back in the dark ages when he and I were working on his cyclone plans. I have a section of insulated HVAC ducting coming off the blower and connecting to a 36" section of 10" HVAC metal duct with 10" to 8" reducers to form my own muffler. Inside the 10" duct is 1" foam similar to what was used in the linked Oneida muffler. I used a section of hardware cloth to hold the foam in place. I've used this combination for many years and it's quite effective. I tested it when I first did it and IIRC it was good for 8db. Cheap, easy and effective. Sound mitigation was important to me as the design of this blower and the style of impeller used are inherently louder than a more typical setup. I've been quite pleased with it. As one of the other posters stated in reference to his system, the loudest part of the system now is the air moving into the system at the machines.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29veU1F]

Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 09-08-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]