Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Oneida "muffler"

So, I like the sound curtains from Goff's. They quoted me just like Van suggested with one fixed curtain (4'wide x 6'6" tall) and one movable curtain (5' wide x 6'6" tall). It's more expensive than the 3 muffler's, but not horribly so, and I don't need to redo anything under the filters (DC starter, clamp storage, etc.). So, cost/labor is about a wash. What I don't know is which will be more effective at reducing the noise.

To those wondering about why it's important to reduce the noise when running other equipment and their noise, think about how much equipment isn't really that noisy on it's own...edge sanders, CNC's, wide belts, shapers, boring machines, miter saws. Yes, we wear hearing protection around the shop every time the sliders, jointer or planers are running, and mostly for the other stuff too, but who wants to wear hearing protection for a DC running for a 6 hour CNC engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I had sometime similar from them back with my original 1.5hp Oneida cyclone system. I don't recall at this point just how effective it was or not...
    I did as well, it made a difference.

Once I converted mine to external filter I didn't use the silencer.........Rod.

I have my V3000 in a closet (perforated hard board/roxul/2"x4" studs/1/2"-ply/steel door) and it was probably a safe level, but still a bit loud for my liking. I have it on a lot when I am turning, and would rather not have ear protection the whole time at the lathe. I also sometimes have my kids in the shop at the lathe, and them being able to hear me is a good thing. So, I bit the bullet and bought one of these. I checked SMC before hand and there was not any discussion about it yet. Definitely expensive, especially the shipping! With that said, it was packaged in a heavy weight box and fitted with foam on both ends. I'm pretty sure fine china would have survived the trip...

Anyway, it was a typical Oneida robust assembly with metal clamps, nuts, and bolts, and it is solid. It took about 20 minutes, working slow. And the result to my (un)calibrated ear, noticeably quieter; even standing in front of it with the door open. I am happy I got it. I just wish it was a bit more affordable. But, that's what we pay for with Oneida products.

Be nice if they made a cheaper resin one. That would go nicely with the very popular V-series and ideally would weigh less.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I installed the new Oneida muffler on my V-3000 system yesterday, and it was a pretty simple process. Note one thing about my system-I have the taller stand to allow use with the 55 gal. drum. I would suggest that anyone using the shorter 35 gal. drum stand should confirm that there is enough height available to install the muffler before ordering.

I understand the reasoning expressed earlier about why one would want this when the machines used with the cyclone require hearing protection anyway. I had two specific needs that I anticipate the muffler helps overcome. First, my shop is in the basement and the cyclone is located directly under my wife's office on the second floor of the house. The first floor does a good job of dampening the amount of sound that reaches her office, however I'm hoping the muffler further reduces the sound that she hears.

Second, in my shop I will often just let the cyclone run as I move from machine to machine. I may rough cut stock at the miter saw, move to the band saw, then to the J/P, and finally to the table saw and the cyclone stays on. As I power down one machine and before powering up the next, it will be nice if the sound of the cyclone running alone is quieter.

I will say that the muffler does make a big difference in the perceived sound level. I don't have a way to measure the actual dB reduction, but from what I don't hear so far I'm happy with the investment.
    Attached Images Attached Images