Thread: Suggestions about selling laser and business

Suggestions about selling laser and business

Looking for a few ideas of where I might advertise to sell my laser and business. I have been mostly just a part timer and not really built my business but all the same it does have some value to pass on to a new owner. So what are your thoughts about where might I consider advertising it locally? I live in Indianapolis so know it is unrealistic to advertise to a buyer in a distant city but if they want to drive here to pick it up that is fine with me. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.
    Trotec Speedy 300, 45 watt

A few questions come to mind first. 1) Is your business web-based, store-front or mobile? 2) Do you have retail or commercial clients?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blog Entries
    Unless you have significant customers that you can PROVE through tax returns that are buying significant $s per year on a consistent basis, you business is worth very little.
    At least in my mind.
    I know I could not get a dime from my business as most has been what would be considered retail - direct to individual customers. The few that are industrial and repetitive are not significant quantities and could be sources by other folks, I have no contracts.

So my 'business' is worth what the used machines will bring and any of my supplies.

As an aside, I looked at a guy's 'business' with a Epilog laser before I bought mine.
    He had ZERO repetitive industrial sales. Had done a bit for a gunmaker that's close, but minor and wasn't active - the company had purchased their own laser. So that was a zero.
    The other stuff was worth maybe a hundred a month. TOPS, and probably less than a thousand a year. Out of his mouth he couldn't give me a monthly $ figure for sales. So his business was worth no more than the used Epilog that had had a fire in the bed in the past and he wanted way more for it than I paid for everything I've bought so far. I passed.

I'd post locally and if Trotec has a classified listing anywhere. Good luck.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

While my business makes a pretty good income, and I have an extensive customer base, many of which I've been serving for decades, it's pretty much useless to most anyone else, because most anyone else, including 'seasoned veterans', couldn't, or just plain wouldn't, produce the work I do. It only works if I'm included. Therefore, as profitable as my biz is to ME, it's sum total worth to anyone else would be the market value of the machinery, most of which is over 20 years old. It would be like trying to sell a panhandling business
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

A reality check would be to talk to a business broker about listing your business. A good broker is going to know the right questions to ask and put things into perspective pretty quickly.

I occasionally see people on Craigslist trying to sell businesses similar to your buisness. It doesn't cost anything to list, so give it a try. You will have to deal with some tire kickers though.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Like most of the others, I doubt that your business has any value. You might be able to get 50 cents on the dollar for materials and you should be able to get a good price for your equipment--if you've taken care of it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Since you state that you haven’t really built the business, it is likely that it only has potential value and is probably worth the sum of it’s parts to most prospective buyers. While standing business contracts or a stable of repeat customers would be ideal, a good website; social media; and internet marketplace presence with consistent yearly revenue has value. The more organized, professional, and turn key the business; the better the possibility to sell it — even home-based ones.

There are exceptions to the rules concerning selling a small business.

If your customers involve mostly large commercial projects then your company name and client list may be worth more than your tangible business property. It normally takes a long time to build a company resume' that will qualify a company to bid on large commercial projects. Time is money and the struggle in the early days when starting up a company takes time and resources.

Sheet goods and products = You'll be lucky to get .50 on the dollar. My experience is that what people have laying around typically is borderline not saleable.

Machine(s) = It's pretty easy to evaluate the price. Take the price of buying new and start deducting the wear and tear.

Business = Personally, I think a lot of people are missing the value in a business. If you do $30k annually doing Rowmark and stuff like that and your prices are close to market value, your business has value to someone. It's likely profitable work. If I had an existing business in your area and could do those jobs at your numbers, I'd talk business with you. I'd propose either a small lump sum payment or a commission based payment at a much more generous rate.

Now if you're doing $6-7k a year in little jobs here and there, your business has no value. It could simply be an incentive for someone to buy your machine. "Hey, I've got a great machine and I'll forward my existing customers your way" type of deal.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thank you to everybody for the replies. Shortly after posting this I went on vacation so haven't participated in the thread yet but all the same I appreciate the responses. Just got back, been along day and lots of things to do before I can really dig into this info. Thanks again.
    Trotec Speedy 300, 45 watt