Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg vise..... How much do you use yours?

Leg vise..... How much do you use yours?

I've never used a leg vise and as i'm simultaneously building and designing this "joinery" bench i started wondering how useful one would be. I ordered the Hovarter face vise, which is delayed by a week or so, and thought i could add the leg vise to the order. I also have 2 8" quick release face vises that can be installed, not sure about them....

Any way, here's a shot of the top. Needs a little flattening but not much

0905181727_HDR_DxO.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

My leg vise is the only screw-powered vise I use. In fact, it is the only vise I have on my bench.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Thanks Zach

Is that by choice or do you find yourself wanting a different vise from time to time?

I should have mentioned that most of my work these past few years is casework which means longer wider components.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Trust Zach's opinion over mine, but I'll offer this:

The relatively long fulcrum formed by the low parallel guide creates a lot of force in this vise. In fact, Hovarter has a great description of this on their website.

My leg vise works well for holding things at odd angles, like when shaping the bottom of a chair leg.

Because a leg vise uses the leg as the backing face, it often does not line up with the end of the bench. This can be an issue if you like to hand saw holding things in your vise.

The biggest issue with my leg vise is honestly the ergonomics. The handle is mounted lower than it probably would be on most face vises. This can be tedious and fatiguing - especially on a joinery bench where you may be setting and resetting a drawer side a couple times.

The narrow width of the chop also makes it less desirable for edge holding longer pieces. However, the taller chop allows edge holding of larger panels easier than a face vise.

As is usually the case with vises, it all comes down to how you like to work.

I have a Ruobo style bench with a BC leg vise, QR face vise and a BC tail vise (wagon style) installed. The leg vise is the most used and more versatile than the face vise for the furniture type work I tend to spend more time on. The face vise works well and is more often used for smaller/shorter pieces that require some type of quicker, minor work or jig holding. I do have the face vise mounted such that the end of the chops are flush with the end of the benchtop so that I can use it for cutoff sawing.The leg vise, with its deeper throat before encountering the screw, is better suited for larger pieces that may require some angular adjustment and/or more secure (beefier) holding while working and is my go-to vise for tenon sawing. By the way, the front gap in the tail vise that can also be used to grip vertically works well for anything that will fit there, but I don't tend to work at that end of the bench as often as the other end. All of my vises are fitted with suede leather faces for better gripping and I highly recommend that.
    David

Hi Brian,

I too have the BC set up and use the leg vise quite often, including for dovetailing pieces up to ~6" wide. Works great and can do wider pieces easily with a clamp on the right side because the front is flush with the base, though if I was routinely dovetailing wide panels, I'd consider a twin screw.

Hope that helps.
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I use my leg vise (Roubo style wooden vise) in almost every project. I do not have a permanent tail vise. Instead, I use Veritas Wonder Dog/Pup
    combo which allows me to move around the bench top freely. Holdfasts are also very helpful..

IMG_7323.jpgIMG_7333.jpg IMG_7160.jpgIMG_7095.jpg

Great input guys, thanks!

Many years ago i had a bench with the legs flush to the edge of the top and i was constantly kicking the leg with my foot or knee which is why i hadn't considered a leg vise initially and the reason all my benches after that had a base lik my current one....

0813181654_HDR_DxO.jpg

Do you also find that to be a problem? I guess i could make just one leg flush.

Would you say the leg vise has more clamping force than other vises?

Skipping the ads..
    clamped up.jpg
    jointer.jpg
    gets used quite a bit...even as a third hand, during glue-ups.....nothing fancy, though.

Use an old pipe clamp.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Great input guys, thanks!

Many years ago i had a bench with the legs flush to the edge of the top and i was constantly kicking the leg with my foot or knee which is why i hadn't considered a leg vise initially and the reason all my benches after that had a base lik my current one....

0813181654_HDR_DxO.jpg

Do you also find that to be a problem? I guess i could make just one leg flush.

Would you say the leg vise has more clamping force than other vises?
    The leg vise has definetly plenty of clamping force

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

The biggest issue with my leg vise is honestly the ergonomics. The handle is mounted lower than it probably would be on most face vises. This can be tedious and fatiguing - especially on a joinery bench where you may be setting and resetting a drawer side a couple times.
    I too question the ergonomics. It looks beautiful but my back just aches thinking of bending to reach the handle. A nasty episode of sciatica made me put my bench on concrete blocks raising it to almost 40 inches & I ordered the Lake Erie Moxon vise to bring the work to me.:

Mark, This bench will end up around 42"tall for a similar reason. Although not as severe as you, my back complains after a couple hours of chopping, marking and sawing on my current bench which is 32" tall. For me, 32" is the perfect height for hand plane work and sharpening saws on my homemade vise but this taller bench will hopefully make the other more detail-oriented task easier on the back. Just trying to decide if the leg vise will be an asset for those tasks...

13. My leg vise is at the left end of my bench which is pushed up to a wall, so I'm never really trying to get around the vise to reach another part of my shop. I use a moxon vise when dovetailing casework or when I want to raise work up about 6in for ergonomic reasons. I like the fact that I have two options, and that I can remove the moxon from the bench when no longer needed. I have serious lower back issues. If your bench is on the higher side and you mount the leg vice handle as high as recommended by the manufacturer, you shouldn't have any problems.

Hi Brian,

For a bench that height, why not a double screw or shoulder vise? My plan has been to build a second higher 'joinery' bench with a double screw vise for dovetails.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I don't really have an issue with bench height, while doing dovetails or chopping mortises....as I usually sit down on my shop stool. If the mountain will not come......

So, instead of bending over the bench....I just sit down. Might look into a shop stool, for some tasks in the shop...even one you can roll around the work on. ( Have Spinal Stenosis Lumbar....)