Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of 12" Oliver 166BD

Anybody have any thoughts about what size VFD I'd need to run this? I'm inexperienced with them...what's more important - HP rating or Amps? I guess I'm getting confused because I'm reading about increasing the HP capacity of the VFD 1/3 above actual 3PH motor HP, but then lots of folks saying that with a jointer, the load isn't necessarily high enough to make a difference. Big price difference between a 7.5 hp and 5 hp VFD....
    If it's a VFD with single-phase input, then a 5hp VFD should work fine. If it's designed for 3-phase input then it has to be derated. Jack Forsberg in Canada seems to be a good place to buy a VFD of this size, and he could help you be sure you're getting what you need.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-12-2018 at 2:35 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I just enabled a friend to buy an American Sawmill 12" jointer I found on CL, but his friend's wife was all for it, especially at $550.

Your Oliver is a cool old jointer, worthy for sure. Some folk prefer a 3 toe design since the floor doesn't have to be as level - heavy cast iron jointers can twist on an uneven floor. So make sure you've got a good flat spot for it.

Jack Forsberg (on here) can hook you up with a VFD, but if you edjumacate yourself you can find one that will work online.

The twist on a 12" Oliver isn't nearly the issue as on the 20-36" ones. Get the bases close to level and once adjusted you will be fine. You can drop anything you can lift on those jointers and not move the tables. Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. I talked with Jack today on the phone and got some good info and will buy a VFD from him once I have the machine. His price seems very reasonable and the "tech support" will be worth what I pay for it in this case, I think.

This jointer will sit on a basement slab that's not necessarily totally flat, level or super smooth. A bit of a rough finish in places, old house...I'll measure the foot print of the base before I move it in and if I need to build up the floor a little bit with some thinset or something like it, then I think that'll be good enough...hopefully

Use machine levelers in the four holes in the bases and grout it in place, at least that's how they would do a permanent set up of a machine.

Blog Entries
    Phillip, I can say from experience that it is a whole lot easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

My wife gets nervous anytime I mention that I’ll be receiving a delivery. So I don’t normally mention it

Haha! I’m happy to report that the dream lives on and she came around to the old Oliver.

On to the next challenge, moving it!

There will be a forklift available for loading. Any issue with slinging it around the middle (underneath the frame, between each end/feet in a basket hitch or something similar just to get it in and out of the truck?

That’s how I moved mine. Once I got it out of the trailer I rolled it in the shop on furniture dollies.
    To Lift it off the dollies I use a floor jack and blocks.
    Good luck
    Aj

Picked up the jointer this evening. Loaded and rode like a champ.

Here’s some pics. Paid $1250. This machine was running in their shop until it was replaced by a new 15” powermatic with shelix head and cutterhead brake.

There’s an oil pot on the front of the machine and a grease fitting ? On the back near the motor. Oil pot on the front looks a little low and crusty. What kind of lube is best to use here?

The machine was hard wired to a shut off box and the switch apparently didn’t make it with the machine when they removed it from the building...any advice here? I will be buying a VFD from Jack Forsberg and will ask him as well.

What do you guys think?

D22082EE-ABE8-4F1F-BAAC-40640C730C10.jpgA6CCA1BA-A7F6-4AF5-AA51-FAC5DBB669B8.jpg3109AA05-F6E7-412D-BB74-BDEFCCE14993.jpg59D20134-27B5-4918-8987-46883898386E.jpg17A9B1E3-243B-4600-9A0E-3FC74B206A42.jpg

Both bearings were originally oil bath. It looks like the motor bearing has been converted to grease. Mobil DTE Heavy/ Medium is the recommendation. If you can keep the open oil bath bearing system, go for it. A swap to sealed is a downgrade. Remove the cup and pipe and drain the oil from the bearing and replace. The grease bearing probably has been overfilled and a gob is sitting inside the motor. If you aren't going to take apart and look, run the machine and listen with a screwdriver on the bearing housing and feel for heat. Too much oil or grease will heat bearings. The original oil cup was glass and is set to a correct height so filling the cup halfway up the glass also fills the bearing cavity to the correct level- usually about 1/3 of the bearing. Good luck, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    This machine was running in their shop until it was replaced by a new 15” powermatic with shelix head and cutterhead brake.
    Oh it hurts. I don't understand some people's logic

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Oh it hurts. I don't understand some people's logic
    If you don't know how to set up a machine, a shelix is more forgiving. Another skill lost. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Both bearings were originally oil bath. It looks like the motor bearing has been converted to grease. Mobil DTE Heavy/ Medium is the recommendation. If you can keep the open oil bath bearing system, go for it. A swap to sealed is a downgrade. Remove the cup and pipe and drain the oil from the bearing and replace. The grease bearing probably has been overfilled and a gob is sitting inside the motor. If you aren't going to take apart and look, run the machine and listen with a screwdriver on the bearing housing and feel for heat. Too much oil or grease will heat bearings. The original oil cup was glass and is set to a correct height so filling the cup halfway up the glass also fills the bearing cavity to the correct level- usually about 1/3 of the bearing. Good luck, Dave
    Never seen a glass on an Oliver jointer. Everyone had a gits oil cup and were filled so you could just see oil in the bottom.

Is that a Insert Head I don’t see any gibs? I run my machine on a Rpc so I have a magnetic starter where your wires end.
    I think with a vfd you don’t use one.
    The condition of that old girl looks to be excellent. I think you did good
    Aj

Darcy, I think you are correct. I'm remembering which is dangerous and I believe the Porter was glass and the Oliver was a brass cup. Dave