Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of 12" Oliver 166BD

Value of 12" Oliver 166BD

Considering upgrading my DJ20 with this 12" Oliver from a local pro wood shop.

Serial # seems to date it to the 1930s. Does not have the clamshell cutterhead. 3 phase motor. Still not sure on HP or if its original motor.

As far as I'm told, it's been maintained well and performs as it should. Looks great. 3 phase for me would mean a VFD or a motor swap (would rather do VFD if possible.)

What range would you guys value this machine at?

I'm not that experienced with super old arn, but have always heard Oliver jointers being praised. Anything in particular I should know about this model / era? What size motor(s) were OEM from this vintage? Any potential issues with hooking up a VFD? The jointer is currently under 3 phase power.

Also: does anyone know how much it weighs and have a link to overall dimensions? Having a hard time finding that info on the web.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 09-05-2018 at 8:36 PM.

I won't begin to guess on price since the condition is so much of that but here is the pdf of the sales cut sheet which gives weights and dimensions for the 166 varieties.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/609/968.pdf
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If it’s a direct drive model you will need a VFD. If not you could consider a motor swap. You may need new pulleys to match up. That’s not a big deal.
    Don

I paid 2500 for my 166bd that was built in 1960.
    No broken or missing parts. There was one bent t-handle on the fence that I straightened.
    Good luck
    Aj

The earlier 166 had 88" tables, the later ones 96". Motor is direct drive so no switch out is possible or desirable. I have one in storage from 1955 and would not sell for less than 2500-3000. Condition is key and you want to check the tables. A 12" is likely to not exhibit wear across the width like a larger jointer but check that. The wedges that adjust the table should all be free to move and not broken or frozen. Bearings should be oil cup and still have oil. Running bearings for even a few seconds dry will ruin them but if lubricated can last longer than you. I don't like the swing away guard but it does allow you to joint up to a 24" board with removing it. I'm guessing in the 1000-2500 range. The post WW2 models are slightly more valuable if condition is equal. If it was a Model 12 it would be worth more although they are rare and usually wider. Dave

Thanks for the info, fellas. The price is at the low end of what you’re suggesting, Dave.

Van, thanks for that spec sheet. Helps a ton.

The serial number is 49953, which seems to be from the ‘30s, if my interpolation from the Vintage Machinery Archives is correct.

I should have more info on the motor and bed length today.

Excuse the newbie question, but what size VFD would I need to start and run this if it’s a 5 hp motor? Anybody have any good experiences with particular brands / models / vendors?

Dave, where are the oil cup bearings and can you check the oil level visually/externally or what would I need to get into in order to check the status of them upon inspection?

I’m told that the jointer runs flawlessly and is still in service, but that they want a machine with a helical head and a brake on the cutterhead (for potential students/ classes / liability.)
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 09-06-2018 at 6:38 AM.

This is a photo of motor plate. Seller says it’s direct drive. Is this original?

1AC9930E-D401-41DC-9F22-6DF79048161F.jpg

Yes the plate looks 88 years old to me.
    Aj

Kind of an odd one being 5hp for a 12" oliver back then. 3hp was standard, 5hp was an option.

About Oct 1940. If the cups are still there, they will have oil in them. If still running it either has oil or has been converted to grease. Unlike porter, Oliver did not use precision bearings unless spec'd so no big deal if new are needed. Sounds like a good deal. 12" are a little less desired than a 16" but still a good price. Dave

If you call Eagle Machinery and tell them the serial number they can give you all the info you need about that machine.

Phillip did you buy it yet.
    Don’t wait too long you might miss your opportunity to own one of the finest jointers ever made.
    Aj

Still working on in Andrew, the hardest part seems to be convincing my wife that I need to replace my perfectly fine DJ20 with a 80 year old, 2000# machine. We'll see how it plays out...

Anybody have any thoughts about what size VFD I'd need to run this? I'm inexperienced with them...what's more important - HP rating or Amps? I guess I'm getting confused because I'm reading about increasing the HP capacity of the VFD 1/3 above actual 3PH motor HP, but then lots of folks saying that with a jointer, the load isn't necessarily high enough to make a difference. Big price difference between a 7.5 hp and 5 hp VFD....
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 09-06-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Go by amps.

I just looked in my manuals help section. There’s no suggestions how to sneak a 166 past a wife.
    I guess the right thing to do is her blessing.
    Hope it works out for you Good Luck.
    Aj