Thread: windows 10 and restarting

windows 10 and restarting

well basically was out in shop working and look over at the cnc and spindal is on wood and not running. computer restarted. I have windows 10 and not hooked up to internet regulary but keeps wanting to restart and update. was going to just restart but no file to restart. Wondering if anyone knows easy way to disable restart. i did web search but seems from the stuff found microsoft made hard to turn off. this is cnc related but if mod wants to move this just deleat this.

thanks thomas.

Two ways to do it on a non-Pro install which seem to work:

- set your Windows connection to metered --- not 100% convinced this works --- I suspect that it just markedly reduces the size of files which Windows downloads, spreading them out to each time it checks the internet connection

- disable the Windows update Service

I don't know if you've seen this but here's a step by step guide - Disable Windows 10 Updates

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

I could be wrong, but I believe that automatic restarts for updates is disabled on my WinCNC computer "from the factory". I have to do all updates manually. Along a similar vein, I had to have WinCNC support "turn on" my ability to use OneDrive which is what I use to move files between my design machine in the house (a Mac running Parallels/Windows) and the CNC computer in my shop as the WinCNC folks have that disabled by default from the factory. The point here is that there are all kinds of things that can be administratively disabled in Windows. It appears that Dave is pointing to a way to handle your immediate need.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's why all my machine computers are on Windows 7 and never allowed to update or be connected. Design on your office computer, transfer to your machine computers. I do manage to keep the sawdust out of my shop computers...
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    That's why all my machine computers are on Windows 7 and never allowed to update or be connected. Design on your office computer, transfer to your machine computers. I do manage to keep the sawdust out of my shop computers...
    The one challenge with this is that your applications at some point may no longer support Win7... ...but that's likely still a ways in the reasonable future. A major hardware failure could also cause a problem if whatever is actually available to replace something isn't supported by the older OS release.
    --

My control machine is wide open in every way other than typical firewall and network safety. Automatic updates of any kind including windows are off and we handle them manually. I transfer files to the machine computer via onedrive or Google drive. Air print from the machine computer to the office printer almost daily.

It's all within your control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Yes, that is the way it USED to be done. You must have one of the legacy connections, usually USB or parallel. Most controllers that are current, with the exception of the least expensive hobby or DIY now REQUIRE Win10 and welcome the upgrades. This is a product of the developers staying current with current computer "norms".

That said, to the OP: Upgrade to Win10Pro, this slightly higher priced version gives you the ability to adjust the settings to better suit CNC use. Win10Pro is also a bit more optimized for LAN communication, which appears to be the direction the industry is going.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I might have to do the windows 10 pro am thinking. I restarted the file with modifyed file to start close to where stoped and 2 hours later did it again. so now when done with the 13" x 15" plack will get to sand out to lines in the 3 d model.... all new computers seem to be trying to take the choices away from use users. my wife bought new desktop computer and had built in modem. I plugged in internet cable and to this day still cant get it to not use the wy fi connection and use the hard wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The one challenge with this is that your applications at some point may no longer support Win7... ...but that's likely still a ways in the reasonable future. A major hardware failure could also cause a problem if whatever is actually available to replace something isn't supported by the older OS release.
    I find just the opposite apps not supported on Windows 10. As for a control computer there you don,t need apps just the control software

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I find just the opposite apps not supported on Windows 10. As for a control computer there you don,t need apps just the control software
    Ditto, and Gary I have a ESS Ethernet controller in my machine computer. What has changed in controllers in the past say 5 years that requires Windows 10? I have been building and using computers since early 1980's. I built interfaces to the first ones to connect to my Ham radio setup. Plans were in QST magazine and we had to make our own circuit boards. Been there, done that.

Added, developer's were forced to go to Windows 10 by Microsoft it was not a choice.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-06-2018 at 8:46 AM.

Bill...
    For the most part what has changed is that "back in the day" the method was to get a computer, never hook it to the internet, turn off updates, turn of this....that..... You know the story. The way it had to be when the PC was generating the pulse stream for the CNC.

Most of the controls today that have chosen to be current simply run on the latest Windows version. Current development with a few mfgr's is to place a small computer running Linux on the control's IO board and use the user PC to just provide a screen and interface. The user PC does not generate the pulse stream, the controller does.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I see Centroid makers of the DIY Acorn and also professional CNC controllers only supports Windows 10 and only recommended brands of computers. Of course WinCNC is only Windows 10, but they seem to be selling and supporting other OS versions.

Even the serous CNC Windows 10 users are not doing the updating or allowing internet access. Starting out today I would go with the Acorn.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-07-2018 at 7:58 AM.

Bill, "new" installs of WinCNC are focused on Win10, but they do support Win7 for folks who have it. They also still do carry parts and support for earlier versions, but strongly suggest folks to be on v3. Keith did that upgrade when he recently replaced his controller computer...it was new hardware for both the computer and the controller on the CNC. WinCNC is also working on evolving to Ethernet connectivity...

I update my WinCNC computer about weekly, but not automatically. I'm comfortable with that, especially since the machine doesn't have all the typical "bloatware" that comes on many off-the-shelf computers these days. My CNC manufacturer sources the computer directly from the folks at WinCNC to insure that's the case.
    --