Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on SUV Choice for Wife

Help on SUV Choice for Wife

She has narrowed it down to Pathfinder or Traverse. The Pathfinders are 2018 and have very good incentives. The Traverse are mostly 2019 with little incentives. Looking for passenger space and (for me) hauling capabilities.

Any experience with these vehicles appreciated.

My Subaru Ascent is supposed to arrive any day. 5000 pound towing capacity.

They start at $33k or so IIRC, and my Limited is about $40k.

We just looked at everything, one size down from what you want, and got a Subaru Outback.
    So I would agree with Matt and recommend you look at the Ascent. Haven't seen it, but Subarus are always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My Subaru Ascent is supposed to arrive any day. 5000 pound towing capacity.

They start at $33k or so IIRC, and my Limited is about $40k.
    Congrats on your new Ascent, Matt! Subaru did a great job with this new vehicle and I'll be looking at it closely when it's time for my next ride.
    -----

Mike, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with either of the two vehicles you mentions. I'm an "expert" on Grand Cherokee and the Subaru offerings, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think there are better options than either one of these but if I only had the two to choose from, it would be the Nissan.

I think Nissan is having sales issues that is the reason for the good incentives. Near me they are selling 2017, yes I said 2017, models at up to 40% off sticker.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I think there are better options than either one of these but if I only had the two to choose from, it would be the Nissan.
    I will agree with this for sure...of the two stated, I'd pick the Nissan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that I loved but bought a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and really like it.

There are so many levels of the various models that it takes lot of looking at all the options. I wanted something easy to get in and out and the back up cameras.

Take your time and look at the options carefully.

Thanks for the input. I looked quickly at the Nissan, Subaru, and Chevy. I'm partial to the Chevy Traverse. It seems more like an SUV than a crossover car style SUV and most impressive is it will fit a 4' wide sheet stock in the back.

Let the wife decide she is the one driving it and remember happy wife happy life

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Thanks for the input. I looked quickly at the Nissan, Subaru, and Chevy. I'm partial to the Chevy Traverse. It seems more like an SUV than a crossover car style SUV and most impressive is it will fit a 4' wide sheet stock in the back.
    Sounds like you made a choice.

I'm partial to the Chevy Traverse. It seems more like an SUV than a crossover car style SUV and most impressive is it will fit a 4' wide sheet stock in the back.
    My wife has a Chevy Traverse and likes it quite a bit. I did use it to haul sheet goods before I got my pickup. Fitting a full 4' wide sheet was very tricky (had to tilt it on an angle) so I would usually have the store do the first rough cut so that I didn't have to worry about dinging up her trim.

It's very quiet and has a nice ride. We like it a lot on long trips, as the capacity is ample for people, luggage, or whatever.

Mike, check out the GMC offerings that are closest to the traverse. When I was looking GMC seemed to offer better deals/incentives than Chevy even though both are GM vehicles.

If you look closely, I think you will find that the Traverse is of unibody construction, just like most other SUVs. If you really want to know whether it has any guts, check the tow rating and payload specifications.

Most suv’s In this class can fit a 4x8 sheet at least on an angle. I used to worry about that and wanted it in my next vehicle (there’s a thread about what vehicles will fit 4x8 sheets), but I don’t anymore since buying a cheap trailer makes a lot more sense. I use that trailer all the time and it’s a heck of a lot easier than cramming things into the car.

There are 2 Traverses in my neighborhood and they seem happy with them. Don’t forget the Highlander, they’re rated #1 by consumer reports, but the Ascent hasn’t been fully reviewed yet I don’t think.

—————————————-

Thanks Jim! Looking forward to finally getting my hands on it, hopefully soon.