Thread: Issues with a laser that has been sitting for 9 months

Issues with a laser that has been sitting for 9 months

Hi, I'm currently looking at purchasing a used epilog helix that has been in storage for 9 months. Some industrial equipment I have had experience with would not be happy after that length of time left alone but I have no idea how it would effect a laser cutter. Does anyone here have any experience/input? Thanks.

Ask to see it operate. There is no reason that being in storage would affect the operation. It will likely need cleaning and lubrication but those are simple matters.

They are fixable if anything is wrong with the machine and it is the norm with lasers to be a do it yourselfer item. You will also get free tech support by phone or email from Epilog.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Note that it is fairly common for Epilogs to not fire for a period of time after sitting idle at length. The head and gantry go through the motions but the beam doesn't work. After sitting for 9 months, you may have to let it run for more than a minute or two before the beam actually fires. Or not, as different machines exhibit the problem differently. Once it does fire, it should be "good" for at least the rest of the day, firing right up when you run a new job after cycling power. So, ask to see it operate but don't get too excited/disappointed if it doesn't "burn" right off the bat.

If the tickle is set correctly, just turn the machine on and wait a half hour, the tickle-firing should pretty much wake it up by then.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

thanks guys, the laser isn't local to me and the people have it in storage since they downsized and are trying to sell it so I'm not sure how likely it is that I'd be able to get a video of it running.

Just like to say thanks again. I didn't end up with the laser I made this thread about but did get another used laser. It had also been sitting since the owner had bought a new laser so the info was still very helpful. Looking forward to setting it up and the speed increase from my current machine