Thread: Epilog vs. Trotec vs. ?

Epilog vs. Trotec vs. ?

Hello All,

I am looking to get my feet wet in the laser business, more of a hobby now, but would love to turn it into a primary source of income eventually. Ultimately, I would like to engrave guns, knives, hunting equipment, etc., and metal marking for the tool industry. But, my plan is to get a few years of experience under my belt with a good quality CO2 machine doing custom powder coated drinkware, photos on wood, and anything else I can find a need for.

I have watched hours of YouTube and scrolled through many pages of forums on this subject. While there is information out there, a lot of it is outdated. I am planning on attending a trade show next weekend and the big players will be there with machines on hand.

Would anyone have any insight or opinions on what is currently on the market today? Pros/Cons? Price points? (An Epilog distributor is only 3 hours from me)

Appreciated!
    Justen

If you are looking for a Western machine, then it would be Epilog, Trotec, and Universal, to fill in your question mark in your title. All 3 make good equipment. There are definitely differences in the 3 and how they deal with jobs, and the features that are available. I believe this forum is full of people who have had success with each brand and there are people on here who have failed with each brand. Really just depends what your budget is and what your actual needs are. I think you have a wise path, attend a trade show, ask a lot of questions, and go from there.

I've owned all 3 of those brands.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Justen Harness View Post
    \Ultimately, I would like to engrave guns, knives, hunting equipment, etc., and metal marking for the tool industry.
    Get a fiber and get on with your future today! A CO2 will not get you any closer to engraving this list of things and will likely just distract you from your goal. Get a fiber, get a bunch of scraps and start lasering!

Hi all again,

I didn't get a lot of response here, so I wanted to update this in case there is/will be any other newbies wondering the same thing.

I went to the trade show last week, and as Scott suggested, asked a lot of questions, not just to the manufactures, but talked to current laser owners as well. I also attended a couple of seminars put on by Epilog and Universal, both were very informative and helpful.

After a day and a half of head splitting options and debate, I settled on the Trotec Speedy 400 Flex 80W. I spent way more than I thought I wanted to, but it made sense. There are several factors that went into the decision, but the 2 main reasons are the fact that I can add a fiber laser to it whenever I want to make it dual source and the with the massive show discount, even after I add the fiber, I will have at least $10-15,000 less in it than a comparable machine.

I look forward to screwing things up so I can pick the brains of a huge knowledge base in here!

Thanks!
    JH

If your goal is metal marking/Engraving, don't be fooled by the false capability of Gantry style Fibers. They have a use, but you'll get more bang for your buck with a Galvo style fiber. Even then a fiber can't compete with Cermark & a good CO2 for stainless steel marking.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

You're going to love that machine, they are awesome! As Tim said, fiber and gantry are not a good combination and your money would be better spent on a separate galvo fiber instead.

Thanks guys! I have a lot to learn and I'm sure the CO2 will keep me busy in my spare time. Down the road, when I'm ready to have a go with a fiber, I will definately do my homework, starting in here.

I wholeheartedly go along with what Gary, Steve & Tim said.
    355 - 10400 : )