Thread: Stanley made Siegley

Stanley made Siegley

Some interesting questions again....

I got one number 4 size StS Siegley hand plane and starting to looking its origins.

What I have got already, it is full blooded Bailey copy. No markings in bed, lever cap or frog. Only StS Siegley in iron. Which is really sweet tapered iron in this one. Stanley made planes at Siegleys name from 1901 to 1927, in Connecticut and Canada.

So that raises question, is this one made in US or Canada? Do anyone knows does those plane have any difference? For example, does SsS or StS planes made only for one location? Or does even StS planes offered the whole time to 1927?

Do you know is there any good catalogue available in online which included Siegle line planes? Quite little info is available at fast searching, because these are not so sexy than original Siegleys.

But here is some photos of that mine....

-TR

5D6053EA-B972-47DC-BA96-BCC210D13486.jpgE1670A34-FD08-41D8-A534-6BD43CDA0D32.jpgAC9F5B8B-6A4E-4060-B8C5-4E4297BBDCC6.jpg6BA737B2-DDF8-4FDF-A736-D9B82675DAA5.jpg50AA8833-2B38-45F2-B65A-AF4618538BA1.jpgF26C2C2C-3B18-4B90-8C11-BF0FB765626E.jpg

Might check in with DonW at Timetested tools.....he might have some info...

Yeah, I chat with Don already.

This left little bit open. Nothing sure at this point.

Blog Entries
    One of my 25¢ yard sale finds looks like a lot like your plane. The front was broken off at the mouth. The blade was tapered with a Stanley trade mark.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In Roger Smith's excellent book "Patented Transitional & Metallic Planes in America, vol 1", on page 108 he writes:

"New information indicates that they were manufactured by Stanley under the Siegley name, circa 1901-1927. Jacob Siegley and the Stanley Rule & Level Company signed a partnership agreement in 1901. The exact details of this agreement are not known. However, "Jake" Siegley would occasionally travel from Wilkes-Barre to New Britain to serve as a paid consultant.

Wood bottom planes and all-iron planes are known with cutters marked either SsS or STS. It is now known that SsS represents Stanley "steel"- Siegley for a regular thin steel cutter, and STS represents Stanley "thick" (tapered) Siegley. Apparently a substantial number of "old time" woodworkers still preferred the thick tapered cutter, thus the Stanley-Siegley planes were offered with both types."

I've known Roger for a long time, and he IS the font of all knowledge on Patented Metallic Planes. For those who want to learn more, they should seek out his books. It seems likely that they were mostly made in New Britain if Jake was travelling there as a consultant. I was not aware of the whole STS-SSS thing. There was also an SBS with the B standing for Block Plane.

Hope this helps.

"He signed a deal to produce transitional planes for Stanley Rule and Level in 1901. These transitional planes do not bear a model number. He sold his entire business to Stanley Rule and Level in 1905. Stanley continued to market planes with the Siegley name until about 1912." (from datamp....)

I wonder where that 1912 date is taken from.... Everywhere else it said they stopped at 1927. Still that not say that Siegley Tools Co is stopped working, but what they were doing if not planes....

Is there any catalog from Stanley-Siegleys? Do anybody knows?

-TR