3 Arm or 4 Arm Steady Rest?

I have a steady rest made for me by Jeff Nicols, for my former 18/47 lathe, and I modified the base so I could use it on my 22" swing lathe. I figured I would not turn any hollow form larger than it could handle on that lathe.

The gap in the bed of that 22" swing lathe is 1.5" and I modified the base to fit that gap. My latest lathe, the G0800 is 24" swing and the gap in the bed is 2.5", so I'm thinking of making a shop built steady for it. I made one for my former 18/47 lathe and gave it to another turner back about 4 years ago, so I know how to build a nice one.

My real question is about whether to use 3 arms at 120 degrees apart, or go with 4 arms like my Nicols steady rest. Using a laser attachment on the hollowing rig means the 4 arm design sometimes gets in the way of clearly seeing the drop off the edge where the arm and wheel rub against the side of the form when the wheel is at the 10 o'clock position.

Do you have experience with a 3 arm design, and does it help the form to run as true as you want it to? I'm thinking that if 3 wheels work just fine, then maybe that is the way to go?