Thread: Laguna 1836 Revo Headstock

Laguna 1836 Revo Headstock

I have been thoroughly enjoying this machine since it arrived a few weeks ago. I've been busy adding a cabinet on it and have already realized that the cabinet isn't quite big enough for all the junk, uh accessories, that I have acquired.
    I have been using a HoldFast Vacuum system on my midi, but wanted an adapter similar to the one Laguna offers. I cobbled together all the parts I need to assemble my own version sans one part. I, for the life of me cannot find any pipe that will screw into the headstock spindle on the hand wheel side.
    Does anyone have a clue what the thread pitch and size is of the bore. I've tried 1/4. 5/16 and those are too small. I then tried 3/8's and it is too large. Is this a special size that Laguna came up with to frustrate DIYer's like me.
    Maybe I should have bitten the bullet and bought their version for $89. I know that's a bargain compared to others, but I thought I could save substantially by doing it myself.
    Can anyone help?
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Steve, It's something standard, but i'll have to go to the shop today and see. I made one, but was unhappy with the result although it worked. I ended up buying the Laguna adapter. Itbwas money well spent. It is a quality adapter and I use it a lot. My strong recommendation is to buy the Laguna adapter and don't waste time or money on a home made adapter.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Steve I was able to make one that I am happy with. If I remember correctly it was something I pulled out of my junk drawer. I will step out in the next hour or so and get you a pic and thread size.

Per Laguna, The interior thread on the outboard spindle of the Laguna Revo Lathes is 1/4"NPT

Thanks Alan, but that's not the side I'm looking for. I need the thread size on the handwheel side. It's not quite 3/8 MIP and 1/4 and 5/16 are too small.
    Is NPT and MIP different sizes? I'll check into that.
    Thanks again.
    Steve

SWE

Steve unfortunately my thread gauge does not have the proper thread size. If memory serves I found something that fit but did not want to use galvanized so I went to the local hardware store (Nixa Hardware & if anyone is in the Springfield MO area and has not been there it is worth the trip.) and found the bolt and nut that I used. I will get out this afternoon and will stop by and see if I can get the information you need. First pic is the adapter (Not completely screwed in so you can see the thread.) the second is what I originally found in my junk drawer. It had a ninety-degree bend in it that I cut off and I think was part of a gate hinge.IMG_0711-1280.jpgIMG_0712-1280.jpg

It is a 5/8-11 on my lathe. However I still recommend the Laguna adapter. It is a quality part. I bought a brass bolt to make mine. Put an o-ring where the adapter contacts the hand wheel.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks all for the information. I contacted Laguna and was told it was a 5/8" UNC. I have no idea what UNC is. I went to HD and Lowes and no one could really help. One fella at HD told me it might be a brass flare thread. I told him it was too big. He continued to insist it was a 5/8" flare. I again told him it was too big.
    It is slightly smaller than a 3/8 NPT.
    I think I'll take everyone's advise and buy the Laguna adapter and be done with it.
    Thanks again for all the input.
    Steve

SWE

UPDATE:

I found the solution to my problem. It was in my shop the whole time. I have been racking my brain for 3 days, running back and forth to 3 different supply stores looking for the perfect solution.
    What I found was a 5/8-11 UNC x 1/8" MIP adapter that is used on an angle grinder. This worked perfectly in the handwheel and the other end fit my 1/8" MIP nipple that went into my bearing. This thing works like a charm.
    So if anyone can use this info, PM me and I'll try and help so as to save you some time and headache.
    Thanks again for all the help.

SWE

UNC stands for Unified Coarse. It is part of the UTS (Unified Thread Series) and nearly all of the inch system machine screws and bolts are defined by this standard. Also, UNF is Unified Fine. There are others, but those are the most common that are used everywhere.
    Bill

Thanks Bill. I found that out last night when I googled UNC and it gave me the definition. Apparently the help at the BORG had no idea either. As I mentioned above, after googling I saw a picture on the net that showed the bushing for an angle grinder. As it was, I had two new ones in my toolbox that came with angle grinders that I purchased years ago. Who would have thought. Anyways, my rig works well so I can forgo buying the Laguna adapter for the time being.
    It's nice to save a little money, but if you consider the time and gas expense, I probably broke even.

SWE