Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New stash of lumber

Insert will be going in the center of the Project...on the bottom frame. There will then be a fixed shelf above this....spaced to allow air flow to the unit's fan.
    IMG_6000 (640x480).jpg
    And the shorter boards will be that shelf. T & G Flooring scraps. The longer one will go across the front of the shelf, with the shelf boards' joints running front to back.
    Box for the heater..
    IMG_6002 (640x480).jpg
    Ordered ONE heater...Home Depot sent two.....despite the fact we only paid for the one heater...figures...
    over view.jpg
    The Prototype. Ours will be a bit taller, and a hair longer. Instead of these fake drawers...
    opened door.jpg
    Going with just doors. The "drawers" get combined into one drawer. Their adjustable shelves become fixed ones.

Hopefully, I can get this done, before Beggar's Night gets here...debating a second trip to the shop.....or do a LONG session tomorrow...
    Stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok...was just going to haul two boards to the shop...that WAS the plan....got to messing around with that longer flooring piece....tried to cut it to length....Bandsaw doesn't like it. Hmm, backsaw had the same opinion. Planes tried to shoot the end grain...and SQUEAKED....hmmm
    IMG_6020 (640x480).jpg
    End grain...
    IMG_6019 (640x480).jpg
    Edge grain....and
    IMG_6021 (640x480).jpg
    Face grain....weird stuff....
    Anyway, the other board was that Pine 1 x 6 x 6' Was a bit easier to cut what I needed off of it, to make the back for the drawer...Used the Disston D-100 this time...
    Drilled a few holes, counter sunk them...spread a batch of glue,,,added screws through the holes to hold the back of the drawer in place...and added a few clamps..
    IMG_6018 (640x480).jpg
    Figured this is as good a place as any, to sit and cure glue. I can pull the drawer almost all the way out...
    IMG_6023 (640x480).jpg
    Even with these clamps on the front, the drawer does not tip down....thanks to the "kicker" in the frame above the drawer.

I think I'll stop for the day....ticker has a case of the "flutters" right now....time to chill out

Stay tuned..

Side effects for a new BP med....having issues today....other than removing the clamps from the drawer, and taking a handful of hardware parts to the shop...that will be it, until the "issues" stop. Heart Monitor is getting a workout, this morning..

Watching the football game was causing more issues than working in the shop....decided to take things out on some wood....

Measured where the fixed shelf bottom needed to be (18" up from the bottom frame) and laid the Mystery at that line,,,,hmm, barely any room for a hand....laid out for the pine cleat the shelf boards will sit on....and where the metal "L" brackets will go. Cleat was set to the thickness of the shelf, then the 3/4" cleat, then the metal bracket....anything below that..was ripped off...just over an 1". Had a brand new fine tooth bandsaw blade, installed that....cut like a charm. rather than attempt to joint that sawn edge, figured it will be behind the mounting flange of the heater...out of sight, out of mind...planes are happy

Pre-drilled the mounting holes in the cleat...then used a self drilling screw to finish drilling in to the Mystery Board....attached the cleat..and snapped a head off...redrilled and added another screw...same with the metal brackets....even a bit of candle wax on the threads...didn't help . There was also a rail across the back, for the other ends of the shelf boards to sit on...had some Ash scrap...added the brackets..and snapped a screw off, again...one of those days.
    IMG_6030 (640x480).jpg
    Front of the shelf....boards for the shelf are just sitting loose..waiting to see if they shrink or swell, anymore...may add a screw around back, to keep them in place...
    drawer back.jpg
    Plywood back stops just short of the shelf..allows cords and cables access. Rest of the way down will stay open, airflow for the heater.
    bottom shelf.jpg
    Scrap 1 x 12....will add a filler piece in the back. same with the two fixed shelves that I will add above it. Now, about those clamps on the drawer?
    Had a square of Ash break off of the drawer's front ( mis-cut during dovetails)...so, I cut a replacement "block" out of Ash scrap..got as close a fit as I could...glue & clamps.
    We getting there..
    results.jpg
    There won't be a "floor" under the heater...more air flow. get these shelves done, I can start on the last door....Rest of the back goes on, AFTER the "movers" get the aircraft carrier upstairs..know a couple young, strong fellas that can to the moving..instead of just..me.
    Stay tuned..

Top of the case has been sanded, the other end had been cut square, and the curved corner cut..
    IMG_6035 (640x480).jpg
    Round-over bit has been run all the way around the top..
    IMG_6036 (640x480).jpg

Drawer has been cleaned up...
    IMG_6038 (640x480).jpg
    May add a cockbead around the edges.AFTER this thing gets out of the shop, and into the living room....have to wait and see how much it shrinks. Lower right corner was the spot with a repair...
    Shelf boards are left loose, for now...same reason as the drawer..
    Will need to tip this thing up and over, to finish sanding over spots.
    IMG_6040 (640x480).jpg
    Until the shelves, and the door get done. About all I could try to do the rest of the evening...involve this little POS
    IMG_6041 (640x480).jpg
    Was (is?) sold by Veritas as a tapered plug cutter....I bought this one, when they first came out...
    More on this, in the next episode...
    Stay tuned..

Ok..that plug cutter. You drill into face grain with it. It is supposed to cut a tapered plug, that you can then pop out of the stock, and insert narrow end first into a counter-bored screw hole...in theory. This one is the 3/8" size.....not made for use in a hand drill....more at home in a drill press...
    IMG_6044 (640x480).jpg
    Was working GREAT..on Pine. Do you smell something burning?
    IMG_6043 (640x480).jpg
    Ash does have a nasty aroma, when it burns. This was as far as I got...before I quit..even the chuck of the drill press was too hot.
    Used a screwdriver to pop each plug out...hold the plug between the thumb and index finger, using those to align the grain with. A dab of glue around the narrow end, drive that into the counter-bore with a hammer and a block of wood, allow to dry..
    IMG_6048 (640x480).jpg
    Going to need to "bake" another batch....ran out..
    IMG_6047 (640x480).jpg
    Wood block, hammer, glue...and the screwdriver to pop each plug out.
    Don't have a clue as to HOW to sharpen that cutter....maybe start a thread?

Need to add the rest of the fixed shelves, and the other door. then haul this "Aircraft Carrier" upstairs...maybe a week to go?

Stay tuned...

Monday Odds & Ends Day.....didn't like the gap across the top of the drawer....added a thin strip of Ash...
    IMG_6053 (640x480).jpg
    Glue, clamps and a caul. Made a bunch of cleats.....and pieced together a few shelves...
    IMG_6054 (640x480).jpg
    Center and top one have Ash facings. Will sand these flat, next trip to the shop. Boss is complaining about a hinge squealing when she opens the door....hmmm.
    IMG_6052 (640x480).jpg
    There are a couple plugs in this picture. Had to sharpen a wide chisel, then I could pare these flat. Issues with burning the plugs has been fixed..
    IMG_6055 (640x480).jpg
    Running in 1st gear on the drill press....and a cleaning and sharpening to remove a few burrs on the cutter.
    IMG_6060 (640x480).jpg
    Have one door to build....IF I can find my bench..
    IMG_6061 (640x480).jpg
    maybe later, I'll clear the deck, and set up for grooves....looking like end of the week, I can start a finish?

Stay tuned

6 hours IN the shop, today.....other than Gatorade Breaks ( and NO Lunch... ) Frame for the other door is complete. Waiting to do 4 raised panels, before I glue the door up. Plugs that were already installed, have been trimmed flush. Haven't installed the last 8 plugs, yet. There was an odd looking gap at the top of the door.....fixed that. Bottom hinge was the one making all the squeaks....fixed that.

Some of the rails for the door needed a plane to get them ready for Prime Time.....Ash was skipped planed...had to remove the "skips" and a couple were tapered along their length...got rid of the tapers...and squared the edges.

10 tenons milled, 10 mortises chopped. Stiles and rails have been grooved to receive the raised panels. 4 blanks for the raised panels are sitting on the cleared of bench, awaiting the planes to "raise" them.

Trashcan for the shop, is now as full as I can get it....mainly from this Project. Shop Fan was set of HIGH....and I am still soaked..

Need to process a few photos....maybe later this evening?...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-02-2018 at 4:22 PM.

Will just skim through the photos...unless someone wants to see more details.....Might be a bit boring?
    Cleared the bench, cleaned the tool well, again..
    cleared out.jpg
    See any goodies? 1/4" plywood square now has a notched corner, to fit stiles and rails. Added a 1 x 1 pine backer...and a washer and screw keeper..
    stock holder.jpg
    Just barely clears the fence on the Stanley 45...
    narrow rail grooved.jpg
    Narrow rails. The wider railes could get by with just a couple c clamps
    wide rails grooved.jpg
    Stiles and rails have their grooves..set up a tenoning jig to make tenons...once I had them laid out..
    tenon jig.jpg
    Then made Dominoes on the bandsaw..
    Dominoes.jpg
    So far...got the grooves done, planed away the skip-planed marks. narrow rails had a taper removed ( one end wider than the other)) all rails had been cut to final length. Edges jointed.
    frame parts.jpg
    Cleared the bench a bit, set up a mortise jig, again.....used door #1 to locate where the mortises will go in Door #2. Rounded up a handful of chisels..
    IMG_6081 (640x480).jpg
    And sat down on the shop stool, and started chopping mortises...
    BRB with part 2 ( Gatorade Break Time!)
    Stay tuned...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-02-2018 at 9:45 PM.

Depressing sight, looking out the backdoor of the house..
    Attachment 394344
    At the rate I'm moving, those will all be down?....Next trip to the shop....all the plugs that were already installed, a wide chisel to "pop" the waste off. bevel down, and pare flush. Still ahve 8 to install. Boos had issues with the Door#1's sqeaky hinge....re-adjusted it ( loosen the screws, size 11 shoe to "adjust" tighten back up) then decided to "fix" the top of the door....had a gaposis thing going. Tapered strip of Ash, a bead of glue, clamp and a caul...let sit awhile...
    Mortises...
    Attachment 394346
    Rails at the top and bottom used haunched tenons....the others use regular ones...test fitted as I went..
    Attachment 394347
    And tried to mark which part went where...once the first stile was mortised...laid it beside the other stile, and transfer a few marks..
    Attachment 394348
    Then chop another 5 mortises.....dry fit....took awhile...one rail was having issues....would not sit square to the others....hammer to adjust parts into alignment..clamps to pull all 5 rails into place..
    Attachment 394349
    Let this sit, until needed. Panels need to be cut to size..
    Attachment 394350
    Those two weren't square, and a tad too long. then the other two panels needed to be cut out of the Knot Farm of a plank..there is a big knot behind the two panels, a huge one to the right...
    Attachment 394351
    And one in the lower corner...once these were cut out...I was left with the four panels to be sized...and then raised....was too tired by then, to start in....went shopping instead. i can raise four panels, tomorrow...and maybe a glue up? picked two 1 x 12 x 48" pine planks at Home Despot tonight...needed to make three fixed shelves. The Boss picked out a quart of Varathane oil Stain..."Weathered Oak"...at least she didn't pick out a can of paint...whew.

Not too bad of a day...a bit longer than usual..10:00 am to 4:00pm. maybe that is why I am so sore, right now?

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-03-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: where is the pictures?

Ok, pictures not showing up...so, I simply took the day off from the shop. Be back when you have this fixed....

Will test a couple pictures...using the same methods I have always used to post a picture on here...
    end grain bevels.jpg
    End grain bevels done....
    new jig.jpg
    rebuild the jig, to do edge grain bevels..
    usual suspects.jpg
    usual suspects....and made a mess
    shavings.jpg
    Will see how this turns out...

Hmmm,......last of the plugs were installed today...
    plugged.jpg
    Will trim these flush, tomorrow..
    Junior Jack.jpg
    Got all of the long grain bevels done....
    4 panels.jpg
    And all the rebates done.....then some assembly..
    glue up.jpg
    All glued and clamped up...letting this sit, until tomorrow. Need to install hinges, and a knob.

May get the last three fixed shelves done..tomorrow?
    Stay tuned

So...the door came out of the clamps today....one edge was straightened..
    edge crew.jpg
    Top needed squared...
    squared top.jpg
    Rest of any high spots were planed or sanded down. Hinges were installed
    hinged.jpg
    Took a couple tries to get the knob in the correct spot...then install the door..
    door install.jpg
    Then grabbed a hammer and chisel, and trimmed the 8 plugs flush..moved to case until I could get my fat...body to where I could install the shelves
    shelf installs.jpg
    Then moved the case back around...to do a PIP
    front view.jpg
    Need to get this all sanded down, and ready for a stain....and find some latches for the doors. Going to be fun, hauling this thing upstairs....might need a bit of help...then I can install the plywood backs and the fireplace insert...set the TV on top....and take a break from the shop....
    Stay tuned.....unless you want to show up and help out?

It’s looking great.