Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New stash of lumber

Today was shopping day...road trip to a Home Depot. ordered a fireplace insert ( electric) for this project. Also picked through, and found a straight 1 x 6 x 6' Pine board....only defects were a few small pin knots. Stopped at a garage sale......did not need a B&D 8" Radial Arm Saw.....stopped at Wall E World and picked up a new bottle of glue..old one was keeping a bit low...

Then took a nap......

Will see how tomorrow goes....having to wait 10 days for the insert to arrive, might change a few things around. Need to kill some time....

Stay tuned

Computer was "off-line, for awhile. . having issues with lagging behind....went to the shop for a bit..got the corner joints fine tuned up, and a couple new ones done..made a mess, too

IMG_5788 (640x480).jpg
    Should have seen the floor...corners are done, right side of the case is almost done..
    IMG_5790 (640x480).jpg
    Left side will be tomorrow, I hope..
    IMG_5791 (640x480).jpg
    Get the leaning board done, and then one more for now..

IMG_5792 (640x480).jpg
    Curved board goes along the bottom edge of the drawer opening
    IMG_5793 (640x480).jpg
    These areas will get a thin plywood skin glued in place.
    Stay tuned..

Getting there..
    IMG_5805 (640x480).jpg
    Which leaves this part...for now..
    IMG_5806 (640x480).jpg

There is to be a fixed shelf below this...will have to wait for the heater insert to show up. May use the flanges around the heater to face mount it in place...then cover them with a molding....

Stay tuned...

About ready for glue and clamps?
    IMG_5818 (640x480).jpg
    Going to assemble this with glue and clamps, away from the case...have a few warped areas to pull into place. Then attach the completed frame to the case..then work on a drawer?
    IMG_5819 (640x480).jpg
    The Boss picked the hinges and handles out..
    IMG_5812 (640x480).jpg
    Rather fancy..
    IMG_5813 (640x480).jpg
    Going with three hinges per door. Doors and the drawr will get that knob...bought some "Fender" washers to set under the knob, so it doesn't get pulled into the wood...

Anyone want to show up and help assemble and glue and clamp the face frame? Should prove entertaining...

Stay tuned

Joint work...
    IMG_5814 (640x480).jpg
    Changed from a half lap to a dovetail.....saw to made a few cuts
    IMG_5816 (640x480).jpg
    Chisel and a plane, to remove the waste..
    IMG_5817 (640x480).jpg
    Test for fit, then do the other side of the drawer opening...
    If you should hear a lot of cussing going on..it will be me, gluing and clamping the face frame into a single unit....

Next up? After attaching the frame to the case...might try the drawer build, next.....and then two doors...
    Stay tuned..

Waiting on Lunch to settle...and see IF I can find enough clamps and cauls...before the glue-ups can begin...You all are more than welcome to drop by and help out....might be entertaining....good thing there won't be a video

"Film at 2300 hrs, ZULU" I hope......

Lets see...pile of every small clamp I have..
    clamps.jpg
    Check. Still wasn't enough, though. Cut a few cauls, make sure there is enough glue for the job..
    cauls.jpg
    Check. Set the bottom rail in the vise...the wrong way (twice? ) Finally ready to glue this mess together..
    inside.jpg
    Needed to work from the inside looking out on this....Clamps and cauls seemed to work better..
    halfway.jpg
    Halfway there...needed a couple longer clamps..to push or pull things into alignment...finally...I think..
    almost done.jpg
    Had to use about half of my F style clamps, because..
    all gone.jpg
    These were all gone. Will let this sit a day....I also cleared the top of the case off, for now. hauled the three planks that will make up the top itself, and plunked them down on the case..
    2 planks.jpg
    And these two were the shorter ones..
    too long.jpg
    More about these three, in the next episode

Stay tuned...

Ok...both of the 60" long planks had and issue..or two..
    bad edge.jpg
    You can see the other knot in the background. We have ways..
    IMG_5832 (640x480).jpg
    1-1/2" needs ripped off...just enough to relieve the two shorter boards of these knots...and get a halfway straight edge...

Besides being 20" too long...the other end on the long plank has issues...
    cross cuts.jpg
    Knots, again...the one in front has snipe...will crosscut to length to remove both...and still have plenty of overhang on the ends...maybe enough to cut a curved corner?
    IMG_5833 (640x480).jpg
    Also need to crosscut the drawer front blank to final size....but,,,right now, I can't get to my bench....have a frame in the way. May take another Vintage Circular saw to the shop, and an E-cord...and do the rough cuts over on the case...still have a couple clamps I could use...to hold things steady. I also have enough pipe clamps to do a glue-up of the top...IF I can joint a few edges...
    Cussing level wasn't..too bad....

Stay tuned...maybe after the shop cools down ( and ME), I can get a little bit done?

BTW...all the work done today, is being done on maybe 3 hours sleep....
    Thanks to the frame blocking the way..I was unable to even reach my "go-to" saw...
    out of reach.jpg
    However..I do have one other Vintage saw I can use...just had to haul it down to the shop..whew..
    Craftsman saw.jpg
    Craftsman 7-1/4" saw...with an Irwin rip blade...will just have to do..for now..
    saw bench.jpg
    Top of the case made a fine saw bench, with lots of spots to add a clamp....One rip cut was done, second one was canceled...more on THAT in a moment..
    IMG_5838 (640x480).jpg
    Crosscuts were done, as well..even the blank for the drawer was cut for length..
    drawer front.jpg
    The reason no second rip...was..
    end view.jpg
    Width. Remember, I still have a 3/4" thick frame to add here....IF I were to rip the 1-1/2" needed to remove that knot...there won't be any overhang to the front...since I will lose alittle bit from jointing the edges..
    gaposis.jpg
    This is as tight as the clamp can get it....waiting on the bench to clear up....then the Stanley #7c, or the Ohio No. 0-7 will straighten these edges....then maybe a glue up?
    Some reason I am a bit tired out, today?
    Stay tuned...might get a little more done, tomorrow....and a little more sleep?

May meander down to the shop, after a bit....about time to remove all those clamps? Maybe drill a bunch of counter-bores with the 3/8" Forstner bit? Then the pilot holes for the mounting screws..doubt I will need any glue.

I use a plug cutter to make any plugs needed....3/8" Tapered cutter from Veritas. I make the plugs by drilling into the face grain of some Ash ( or whatever wood I am using) scraps. Trying to match the grain of the plug, to the surrounding areas. I do not have to worry about any end grain issues, because there is no end grain to see.

Once the frame is out of the way, and the bench is cleared a bit, I can joint a few edges to get a three board glue up done.

That be the "plan" for today....we'll see how that goes...stay tuned.

Shop time was cut short...had to take the Boss to run some errands....I did get the frame out of the clamps...and set roughly to where it will go.....Have a brand new 3/8" Forstner bit in the drill. Can not use the drill press...have to use the old vintage electric drill...

Stiles for two doors have been ripped for width....need to trim for length, and joint the edges. Will see IF after Supper, whether Mr. Motivation shows up...

Stay tuned..

Pictures, or it didn't happen, right? Ok....have 17 to post, might take more that a single post....if nobody minds
    Frame is clamped to the case...
    IMG_5845 (640x480).jpg
    Waiting for a few holes by this.
    .IMG_5846 (640x480).jpg
    Then a pilot hole afterwards...
    Ripped some stock for the stiles for two doors..
    IMG_5849 (640x480).jpg
    Then trimmed all four to rough length. Width was a different matter....tried the jack planes and the No. 7c
    IMG_5852 (640x480).jpg
    Problem being...one end was wider than the other....time for Heft & Hubris..
    IMG_5855 (640x480).jpg
    Width is now the same all the way along..
    IMG_5856 (640x480).jpg
    Instead of the Stanley 45 to plough a few grooves....we have other ways..
    IMG_5850 (640x480).jpg
    1/4" wide grooves. Will see how this works on Ash.
    Had a few other parts to rough cut...stay tuned..

Ok, other parts for two doors...needed 6 of these..
    IMG_5857 (640x480).jpg
    Why 6?
    IMG_5858 (640x480).jpg
    Top rail, "Lock rail", and bottom rail....also needed 4 smaller rails..
    IMG_5859 (640x480).jpg
    Intermediate rails....in keeping with the "prototype" from OddLots. Spaces will get filled with these..
    IMG_5860 (640x480).jpg
    Will make this one into a pair of raised panels....only need 8..

Will see how I feel after Supper....depends on if I go back to the shop..
    stay tuned..

Waiting on lunch to settle. Heart Monitor has been installed, set up, and working. 90 HUMID degrees outside....hope the shop is cooler...

On the to-do list for the shop...
    Attach the face frame
    glue up three planks into the top for the case
    Start on the doors.

Will see how many I get done...

Killed not just one Brown Recluse nest yesterday...they had a regular Village along the south side of the house! have killed a couple IN the house, as well.

1 out of three....baseball hitters get paid for that kind of "average"?
    jointer.jpg
    Trying to get the top glued up, edges needed jointed...No. 8 did most of the work...and I am soaked..
    IMG_5872 (640x480).jpg
    getting closer...had some areas that needed a shorter plane..
    IMG_5873 (640x480).jpg
    No. 6c, type 10 got a little work in, today...got three edges to match up...
    IMG_5874 (640x480).jpg
    Spread some glue, set some clamps..
    IMG_5876 (640x480).jpg
    Added some cauls at each end. This thing is just under 58" long, by 16" wide...between the Ash, and the clamps...it weighs almost as much as I do. Kind of puts a damper on any other things getting done..
    IMG_5875 (640x480).jpg
    Even sweeping the floor. I think I have had my Cardio for today...

Tomorrow? Visit with the Cardio Doctor about Lunchtime...maybe remove the clamps from this top, and work on the face frame install?

Insert ( electric fireplace) is supposed to arrive tomorrow, via Buster Brown...will see how THAT goes.

Stay tuned..