Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New stash of lumber

New stash of lumber

Has arrived in the house...will leave it sit a few days, and let it get used to things around here...
    Fellow had 4 planks to give me, as "payment" for my wife cleaning his house....at 11'6" or there abouts, they were a bit long to fit IN my van....roughly cut them into halves...so, now I have 8 planks at 1 x 6 x 5'6", or so...got them home, set them up against the wall, and clamped them all together...trying to pull some of the bows out...
    IMG_5609 (287x640).jpg
    Some longer, some shorter...grain isn't all that "Wild"
    IMG_5610 (421x640).jpg
    Should be enough ( 23bf?) to do the case work needed. May have to go back and get a second batch...for a pair of doors, and a few shelves. The Boss wants an Entertainment Center, that also holds a fireplace insert (electric one)....may need to straight-line rip a few edges..
    IMG_5611 (485x640).jpg
    As the sides and the top will be glue ups.
    IMG_5612 (640x480).jpg
    This stack also came home, but from the Wapak area. May have a use for these....accent pieces?
    Maybe have this done by October? We'll see...stay tuned.

What type of wood is that Steven?

Ash for the planks. Seems to be a mix of Flooring "shorts" mostly oak....will have to strip off the finish,and find out. Will need to plane the backs, as well...has those grooves going on. May make them into thinner panels, for the doors.

Ok...from the ad...
    full ad.jpg
    THIS is what the Boss wants....rather than this..
    Walnut.jpg
    The insert is sold at Menard's...need to measure that to get the opening size. 2 doors..2 drawers ( drat) and a shelf for the cable boxes...open back behind the insert, and the cable boxes....Not sure about adjustable shelves inside the doors....1..2...3? Don't need DVD racks inside...

Black items are metal brackets...bolted in place....we can do better...same with those feet.

While I let the lumber get "Happy", I can plan something up....Looking like 3'6" tall, by 4'6" wide? We'll see....don't want it to look too boxy..

Ok...just what I wanted to do today...walk across a parking lot that is having all the cracks filled/sealed....fresh, sticky, TAR....smells like money, to some..

Goal was to take a pen, some paper, a tape measure, and the camera to the local BigLots store in town. Had to go back to the van and retrieve the pen & paper...must be the fumes.

over view.jpg
    Sooo, this is what the boss wants? Stands 36" tall, top is 16" wide, and 54" long.....may do some adjusting with that.
    What LOOKS like a drawer..
    door details.jpg
    About like the "wood" in this...fake. Could do a Frame & Raised Panel door....jury is still out about the drawer....
    corner detail.jpg
    Ah...no..not going to happen. The top is also this thick ( 3" or so).....we can do better.

R.O. for the "heater insert' is 22" wide, by 20-1/2" tall. Face frame is out of 1 x 4 stuff.....except on the sides of the heater opening..1-1/2" wide.....shelf is 24" wide.

"Feet"? are about 2-3" high blocks.....we can do better.

Depending on how tall she wants this thing to be...I can start gluing up panels...

Boss has just decided....41" tall, over all. Gonna need more lumber...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-05-2018 at 1:52 PM.

Busy day? Hauled the 5 shortest planks to the shop...
    starting stack.jpg
    There are still 3 more upstairs, even longer.
    Marked out for about 41" in length...not concerned about square right now...just breaking things down to be close, to what I need....trying to cut off the worst of each plank..
    cut line.jpg
    As much as I like a good handsaw....I didn't feel like using one, today..
    jigged.jpg
    Worked my way down the stack. using a couple scraps and a clamp, and....
    cut man.jpg
    Well, it IS a Vintage saw, right. Stacked the four worse ones aside..
    other parts.jpg
    Then snapped a couple blue lines...
    blue lines.jpg
    Plan was to use the bandsaw to cut these. Bandsaw seemed afraid to get any of this blue stuff on the blade...kept trying to follow the grain, instead..
    Stay tuned...more to come...

Ok, got the lines cut...needed to joint the two parts to match each other..
    jointer.jpg
    Got my "Cardio" for today. Used a couple Jack planes too. Some places were just too .."off" ..had to knock those down a bit...
    IMG_5634 (640x480).jpg
    hey, it IS a Jack plane, right?
    Jack plane.jpg
    Got the edges straight and both parts close to the same size...cleared the bench. Those four planks against the washer? each was laid on the bench. I used one of the filler strips I had just done, to mark a straight line along each edge...some needed more work than others...some other day...
    stacked up.jpg
    Got to about here..was having issues with the back...decided to just set three parts up...
    laid out.jpg
    Once the Gaposis is fixed, I can glue this up. Will be one of the end panels. Once it is out of the clamps, I can cut one end square, and cut out a foot detail on the other end....and try to remove the worse areas on that end. Then do the second panel...

Right now, back is even stiffer than these boards. was getting tired of dripping onto the lumber. Decided to call it a day...

Stay tuned..

Rested the back a bit, down-sized a plane...from the No. 8 to a No. 7c....
    IMG_5643 (640x480).jpg
    Got two planks jointed well enough to do a glue up..
    IMG_5645 (640x480).jpg
    needed cauls on both ends.
    IMG_5640 (640x480).jpg
    Wanted one end as straight as I could get it. Will call this end the top. Other end will get a foot profile sawn into it.
    Didn't make too much of a mess..
    IMG_5646 (640x480).jpg
    Maybe tomorrow evening..I can have the other side in the clamps?

Stay tuned...

Hi Steven,

When I saw that stack of lumber I though "Steven is back in business," and I was right on the money. Good Job!

Stw

Lumber run today...dodging rain showers, too.

Picked seven 1 x 2 x8' Pine boards....webframes. One under the top, one under the center dividers, and one for the bottom. Exposed areas will get a "skin" of 1/4" plywood.

Picked a pair of 1 x 12 x 4' boards...as clear as I could dig out. These will become the two center dividers. Will have to cut both for length...and allow for the webframe to go through. May use a dado to secure the dividers.

First...Bug Bombed the shop. Getting tired of cobwebs on everything I touch....you'd think Hermann Munster lived down there! Spectracide Bug Stop...almost an entire can's worth....letting that do it's thing, before I go back to the shop....Maybe take the clamps off, and try to do the other side panel?....Webframe build will be Friday or Saturday....Boss is still shopping for the fireplace insert....need the size to make the opening for it....

This morning was a bit busy, busy, busy.....Computer issues, restarts (4 ), and a bunch of scans.....takes a while...

Decided to kill a bit of time, while it was trying to restart...removed the clamps from Panel #1..
    unclamped.jpg
    And jointed the two outside edges...usual suspects for that..
    planes.jpg
    Jack plane to get things close, No.7c to do the final jointing...set this panel aside..
    start up.jpg
    Same thing..jack to level things down a bit, then the Jointer to remove the higher spots until the low spots also shine up...checked for gaps..
    gap checker.jpg
    And any rocking, end to end. Once a nice fit was made, marked these two mating surfaces...and work on the other 1 x 6. just need a jointed edge for the glue joint...for now
    Once that was done, spread a bead of glue along one edge, next part is slid around a bit into the glue, then do the same for the other joint..
    glued.jpg
    Only thing keeping this together, was the glue. Gaps at this end will go away, once the foot profile is cut out...still, decided to add a few clamps..
    IMG_5656 (640x480).jpg
    Same as before. Center clamp first, then the ends, then the cauls..
    clamp and cauls.jpg
    Set the first panel on top of a piece of scrap pine,,,to keep it off the floor ( in case another creek comes through...
    clamped up.jpg
    Busy morning? Well, the floor was clean, before I started in...
    Was ankle deep when I quit. letting this sit a while...need to start drawing a "Plan" of some sort...maybe Boris and Natasha won't steal it, this time?
    Stay tuned...

Both sides are now done. Three edges were jointed..the fourth..took a while
    IMG_5660 (640x480).jpg
    had both clamped together, so I could plane them to match in width..
    IMG_5661 (640x480).jpg
    Hmmm, this will take a while
    IMG_5662 (640x480).jpg
    Jack plane to work things down fast...until close enough for the #7c to finish up...
    IMG_5667 (640x480).jpg
    WAS going to gang the sides up, square one end ( as the top) and do the foot profile separately...but.
    IMG_5665 (640x480).jpg
    I no longer trust this square.....went back, re-marked the lines, and made a square cut...one plank at a time....#62 to shoot the edges.
    Foot profile?
    IMG_5668 (640x480).jpg
    Using a Vintage saw. Laid this on the second panel ( found out about the square issues) finally, after a lot of cussing & cutting..
    IMG_5669 (640x480).jpg
    BOTH sides are done. Laid these back on to the bench, for now ( just in case, with all the rain around here) Clamped them together....
    IMG_5670 (640x480).jpg
    Even did a little flattening....
    Now comes the drawing part...stay tuned...

The new plane seems to have a place in the rotation. I assume it is working well for you.
    David

So far...Been trying it in different jobs....Ash makes a decent test bed...

We have Plan! Drew a little sketch last night...
    front view.jpg
    More of a front view, minus any face frames...needed to find out where the web frames will go, and the two dividers...that block on the bottom will be a 2 x 6 "foot" to support the center of this thing.
    Web frame?
    frame plan.jpg
    I need to build two of these, the second one will get an "extra" rail, to attach the center foot to. Have to set the frames in a bit at the back. A rebate for the plywood back will be back there. Corner blocks to attach the top with. and stiffen the frames. No racking, that way. Need to haul this mess..
    IMG_5675 (640x480).jpg
    Well, the pen and stand goes to the computer desk, the paperwork and rule will head to the shop...along with this stack..
    frame parts.jpg
    For now the pine will do...the three sticks of Ash will be for the face frames, and other "show" places...like the doors. May haul these two down..
    dividers.jpg
    Once the frames are built...
    60s for the "High" today....hope the rain is done. May get some work done, and warm up? Don't need the fan going today.

Stay tuned....the cussing is about to commence