Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New stash of lumber

Ok...sanding is done.....there WAS a gap at one end of the drawer..fixed that. Latches?
    IMG_6145 (640x480).jpg
    Turn buttons....dug out a pilot bit, to install those screws into the Ash. A church key..
    IMG_6146 (640x480).jpg
    To open this...
    IMG_6144 (640x480).jpg
    STINKS! Gave me a headache. Case is sitting back there in the shadows...shine a bright light on it..
    IMG_6140 (640x480).jpg
    Close up?
    IMG_6143 (640x480).jpg
    Gap at the drawer WAS on the left side of the drawer...latches in place..waiting on this smelly stuff ( worse than BLO, even) to dry...and then wipe things down....and maybe see about that Amber Shellac..
    May top coat the top with Poly Gloss...
    IMG_6142 (640x480).jpg
    Might protect it better than just shellac...

Very nice.

Thanks for looking in. A coat of Amber shellac is now applied to the project,....will check on it later, to see IF another coat is needed..

Got cussed out on another site...seems the troll didn't like my choice of latches...said they were "Cheap" and suck...
    IMG_6143 (640x480).jpg
    Got to thinking, while a coat of shellac dried.....
    close up.jpg
    had a chunk of 1 x 1 Walnut...resawed into half thickness blanks. Bandsaw also roughly shaped these....sander to smooth things out....re-used the screws from the "Cheap" latches.
    opened.jpg
    Screw sits in a counter-sunk hole. There is a small washer behind each latch...
    wrong way.jpg
    And, it doesn't really matter which way it is turned, it still works.

Have rubbed down the shellac, top got a second coat......maybe tomorrow, I can add the gloss poly?

I may go ahead, and varnish this thing....maybe a two coater? Right now, I am at a stand still....until I get enough helpers to bring this up and out of the shop....

Once that is out of the way...this thing can go to the shop...
    tablesaw.jpg
    Right now, it is sitting under the cover of the Gazebo's top...this is the same saw I started out with, back in the late 70s....will need a new 8" blade...or two. Is new home will be where the trash can usually sits. I had cleared the area in that end of the shop, just for such items...

A coat of clear gloss varnish is now on..
    front view.jpg
    Other than an old, clean T-shirt to rub things out..
    top.jpg
    Basically shop part of this is done....

IF anyone wants, I could post a few pictures of this when it is installed into the Living Room?

Thanks for following along....

Finally got this thing upstairs, and the insert installed..
    IMG_6231 (640x480).jpgIMG_6232 (640x480).jpg
    Still need to patch the flooring up....there IS a second Shaker Table for the left side....will place it when things are ready..
    May post this over in Projects...

Posted over in the Projects section....

Will take about a week or so off....have tools to sharpen up, and put away. Need to see WHAT I can build with some Oak boards I got at a yard sale. Three 1 x 6 x3', a couple 1/2" x 6 x 3', and a 1 x 12 x 3'....might know of a source for other Oak boards.....just in case.

Boss wants a Kitchen Storage cabinet....with lots of drawers.....that she will be painting to match the rest of the kitchen's stuff.....sounds like it will be made of Pine. NO, the Oak will NOT be involved with that.

Final picture...as seen from the sofa..
    IMG_6238 (640x317).jpg
    Forgot the tripod....
    The Boss has found a picture of what she wants built next...
    IMG_6234 (640x490).jpg
    Lumber I have on hand says this will be out of White Oak. NOT Painted. And NOT a Flat-pack...we'll see how this goes...

Blog Entries
    Congrats Steven – you must be very proud seeing the pile of lumber you started with in the beginning and the finished piece now sitting in the living room!. Great job – I'm sure the boss is impressed! Must be if she's already got another project lined up for you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your build and post the pictures. Posts like yours make me wish there was some kind of Neander Traveling Tour that would let us visit the people and shops we've seen on SMC.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    That came out sweet. It makes things feel homey for the holiday season I'll bet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Visitors are welcome. Just give me a "Heads up" when you want to stop by. You might even get put to work......